Forums > Technical Discussion > Different Types of Poi -(Possibly) Definitive List

Login/Join to Participate

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I really need to get a job that actually entails doing work...

I thought it might be useful/interesting to put up a list of the different types of poi available, their pros and cons and suchlike.
I haven't gone into all the different electric ones - but someone else is more than welcome to.

Anyone want to add any, argue, amend anything?

Fire Poi:-
~ Chain/Ball chain
Easy to wrap around your hands/fingers to shorten mid-burn, good for wraps, hyperloops etc. I think you need a heavy-ish wick on the end, as the heavy chain can put too much weight in the middle of the poi for nice spinning.

~ Cable
Lighter than chain so you can have smaller wicks (Why you would want small wicks is beyond me...). Nice for wraps, but a little uncomfortable to shorten mid-spin. Prone to kinking, especially during hyperloops/airwraps or just when they tangle

~Fire Ropes
i.e. A length of kevlar wicking instead of chain - Can't be shortened mid-spin, without extra weighting on the end, some moves can be tricky (isolations spring to mind). Some wraps can be a bit risky too.

Non-Fire Poi:-
~Sock Poi
A ball (tennis, juggling or two) in the end of a long sock. Great for wraps, shortening, hyperloops and most moves. If too stretchy can make isolations hard. Some colours UV active. Very cheap

~ Cone poi
Like sock poi, but made of proper material so non-stretchy. All the pro's of socks, none of the con's. Cost slightly more, not that many for sale (yet)

~Glowsticks
Very light and therefore fast. Can't be slowed down very much which can make it tricky to learn moves, and can make things a bit messy. Hurt when you hit yourself with them. Too light for some moves, but do open up their own list of moves.

~Tail Poi
Look lovely during the day, can't be used outside on windy days. Prone to annoying tangles. *Great* training aid - general consensus is "If you can do it with tails, you can do it with anything" as they really teach perfection.

~Flags
Vary hugely in design. Visually stunning, some moves tricky/impossible with them, others become easier. Alot depends on the weight of them - both the material and the weight in them.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
me again
talking about sparky poi again (cant beleive you missed em out durbs tut tut)

do be careful. i loaded them up last night did my dry run, slipped on a wet slab and gave myself concussion. not good.i think they are the most painful poi around. i may attach spikes to mine just to make them that bit worse

Sparky/Cage poi
heavy duty cages (like big bird feeders...bird feeders will not do) or whisky tins attached to chains just like normal poi. fill with wire wool.light, run off and do poi. sparks will fly everywhere. gets the smit seal of approval smile

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
two teddybears each cutely suspended on a noose poi.
I used to swing a pair of these.
i want to use this new smilie
meditate

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
lots of types yes, but should we really be calling them poi though...?
sorry. wink

maybe firepoi list could get a wick types bit too? smile

monkey fist: kevlar rope tied in a spherical knot. they are lovely and they burn for ages and they feel like balls on the end of a chain. which is what they are. have a tendancy to randomly self-extinguish if held still or swung as pendula for too long due to their shape.

tube core: kevlar wick wrapped around aluminium tube, usually with a wooden dowel at the centre. easy to both make and replace. generally have a shorter burn time and more exposed metal than the other two.

cathedral wick: kevlar wick folded in a concertina fashion. they hold lots of fuel, burn for ages and have very little exposed metal if made properly. seem to be more suscepteble to wear and tear but maybe i was a little more rough with them than the others...

kittens: quite fluffy and attract lots of attention but are only single use and are generally quite messy.

feel free to edit to remove my biased opinions.

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
thankx Durbs smile

one small thing:
Quote:

Sock Poi...If too stretchy can make isolations hard

umm i think that's a bit misleading. Stretchiness in general makes isolations far far easier. They'd have to be as stretchy as tights before getting harder to isolate IMO.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Quote:

kittens: quite fluffy and attract lots of attention but are only single use and are generally quite messy.

I disagree - although the kittens died a while ago, their fur still holds enough fuel for a good 5 minute burn. Have you tried leaving them to soak overnight?

Simian - Fair point, I *think* I head Dom say that backwards iso's are easier with socks, forwards easier with cones confused Meh - who cares wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i think i heard Charles mention that you can substantially improve the longevity of kittens by coating any frayed edges with PVA glue ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
You forgot LED Poi smile

Non-Https Image Link

Cake or Death?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Not really, just there are sooooooooo many different types of LED poi, I thought it would take too long - off the top of my head:
Beaming Poi
Electroglo
Aerotech - GloBalls in nets
Aerotech - GloMeteor (No GloPoi yet)
LED Glowsticks from HOP
Soft Glotoys (as seen on Firetoys)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
and don't forget those glowbugs.gloworm toys from the late eighties... smile

Now THEY woudl look cool as a poi head... weavesmiley

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
is it worth splitting up chain/ball chain? or is that going into too much detail?

ive used 3 types-

normally use s link [i think thats one one] dog chain - great for wraps, but it quite slippery with airwrap/hyperloops etc. great strenght and durability.

ball chain - better for airwrap/hyperloop, good for wraps means swivels arent needed, but it can break/splinter.

o link - not as good as ball chain for airwraps, & doesnt wrap as nicely as s-link. but good durability.

i get a bit dyslexic after 10 hrs at work so forgive me if i confused myself somewhere....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Also from Firetoys you can get those glowy hacky sacks and put them in your sock poi. They look lovely and are my fave ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahhh - but they're actually just sock poi when it comes down to how they spin...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
well by that logic aren't fire poi just non-fire poi that are burning confused

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well. not in the sense I meant.

Hacky sacks in socks - have pretty much the same spinning properties as juggling balls (or whatever) in socks

However Fire poi (chains, cable) spin quite differently to say glow sticks or even sock poi...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
do we not need to mention all the diff tyoes of poi in all cagries in all styles as each can feel a lil diff while spinning, ie

the banana poi are a diff feel (for me IMO) as to my kiwido poi!

also

there are glow-tubes that vanize has that are really cool! ubblove

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ah I see what you mean now, poi with chain being different to poi with string etc

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
durbs - completely right man; imo dead kittens after a few burns are very similar to tubecore wick.
i meant to specify that live ones are quite unique as they make a cute noise as they spin but as i said, in this respect, they are only single use.

and firegeek, been meaning to say it for a while - that photo is absolutely gorgeous biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

singed_aussiestranger
1 post

Posted:
heys, not sure what i got are poi, they're really short torches (bout a foot long and made from aluiminum tubing) attached to the ends of chains. the gurl i bought them off at markets called them foxtails... just starting to learn how to tangle myself up with the poi (borrowing my friends) and these looked like fun.

just thought i'd drop it in here....

chavidstranger
6 posts

Posted:
and then there are me EVEN CHEAPER THAN SOCK POI. i have two pairs of socks rolled up and each put into a ziplock baggie. then showstring tied to the baggies. but hey, they work.

i like the kitten idea!

-chavid-