Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How do I clean up my timing?

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thankfully spring has sprung here in New York and I've made a starteling discovery.

I suck.

I mean I've got a decent/intermediate move base and a decent understanding of poi theory. My planes are decent but not great. But my timing is horribly sloppy. Especially when trying to isolate. Far too often, my poi are nowhere near 180 degrees when they should be (like in an isolated buzzsaw.) I am slowly becoming the master of 5/8th time and it's making me sad.

Aside from practice, practice, practice, are there any specific activities/ideas for helping me?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Perhaps improve your same time spinning. Same time is good for timing and very good for planes. Once it's solid you could work on moving between the 2 in all moves and position.

When I'm struggling to keep a rythem while drumming I talk to myself making funny noises like "dun dun" "dee dee" redface and I also kinda click my teeth to the beat too. *shrug* ubbangel
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1082392501)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Practice infront of a mirror or large window and check your reflection - it gives real-time feedback so you can work out when the timing is right

S'what I do smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
if you specifically want to improve your isolation timings then...hey, who doesn't? wink
it's one of them things that just gradually improves until it's perfected
i ain't never seen noone nohow whose isolations weren't a little tiny bit wobbly.

but, erm, lets see... practical advice...

get a metronome?
wiggle your hips?

the second won't make you get better, but it may distract people from your timing smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
whenever i practice patterns i kinda hum and click a little riff to go with the pattern, not really by choice ~ that's just what happens. I find it really useful though, sort of gels my mind and body. Then when i dance to music i just need to hum along and my movements sync with the tunes.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you took a little break during the winter and you jumped right back in. I know what you need
1. Slam 2 beers
2. Spin to music with a good beat that matches your speed.
3. Stop Thinking.

Give it a shot. I think you have been thinking about poi all winter and your moves are all jumbled up in your head.
biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
sorry to say it mrNYCsir but practisepractisepractice.

practise your same time stuff loads and loads.

then do moves you think you can do but are harder than they seem(like split time same direction low reels) over and over and over.

anyway.

read the first line again.

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'm sure Glass was going on about swing music being in 5/8 time, or some such nonsense that I pretend to be interested in wink So just start spinnig to swing music!

Alternatively practice a lot in front of a mirror or, easier to find, your shadow. A suggestion I was given when learning to juggle was if you start to go wrong, stop and start again so that you don't learn bad habits. As you've been spinning for years you've got some relearning to do.

I know what you're going through - the other day I discovered by anticlockwise windmill timing was completely off and my other way airwraps are lame. So to solve the problem I resolved to avoid doing them!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Heh... naw I swing dance just fine. That's a different 5/8ths time unfortunately. Just tell Glass to think in his head: one, two, three, four, BAM! six, seven, eight... and to stay the hell away from that cute Dutch swing dance chick I met last year at EJC.

Luckily, most of my new moves suffer the most and can therefore be tweeked more easily.

And on the 'just let yourself flow dude' point... unfortunately, that's what got me in trouble in the first place. The ONLY time I do a clean 5 beat weave (timing wise) is when I actively think "DO IT CLEAN!"... Thanks for the advice... and good to know Mr. Cat that the answer is "Practice" and not "Just be born that way"... I'd rather suck cuz I'm lazy than suck cuz I'm born that way. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
When it comes down to it, does it really matter if your timing is off by a few degrees? Is it any less fun spinning? Will non-spinners notice the offset when your spinning fire?

Really, just continue on and Im sure things will work themselves out before summer hits.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think it does - it your timing is off it doesn't feel right and you can't flow properly. And from comments given by non spinners and beginners I've heard I do believe it does make a difference to somebody watching.+

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In fact, I think that's one of the very few things that DOES matter to a nonspinner audience member. A clean 3 beat is prettier, and therefore better to civilian spectators, than a sloppy 5 beat.

We all get something different out of poi, and for me, right now, I'm finding it fun to see how cleanly I can do stuff... which, right now, isn't very clean.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

And on the 'just let yourself flow dude' point... unfortunately, that's what got me in trouble in the first place. The ONLY time I do a clean 5 beat weave (timing wise) is when I actively think "DO IT CLEAN"

There's lots of ways to 'let yourself flow'. You're obviously flowing the wrong way. Possibly upstream.
If you totally relax with your poi then your timing may well go a little syncopated. Thats just your natural groovish funkitivity showing through.
Try flowing more like Bruce Lee would flow, rather than Isaac Hayes.
even if it doesn't directly help anything else, a meditative state generally means you can practice for longer without getting distracted.
Personally i find intense concentration helps up to a point, but i end up thinking about concentrating rather than concentrating itself, if you see what i mean.

Bruce Lee said
Quote:

It is like an inverted stall pointed toward the moon. Don't concentrate on the inverted stall, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

(well, actually he said "finger" rather than "inverted stall".
and he pronounced it "Heaaaaaaaaayvenly Gloooouuuuuwwwwwwry"
but other than that, its the same.) smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm sure Glass was going on about swing music being in 5/8 time, or some such nonsense that I pretend to be interested in So just start spinnig to swing music!

noooooooooooooooo!

that would be too confusing - 5/8 in music means 5 quavers (or read 'notes' if you don't know what quavers are!) so you'd have to count to 5. When doing poi you definately need something in 4/4 or 2/4 which is why most dance music is so good. It's like trying to poi to a waltz, confusing even if you're doing 3bts.

Edit: sorry about the complete irrelevance of this post to the thread... smile
EDITED_BY: Tao Star (1082464846)

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if i have trouble with timing on a move, i try to learn to spin it super slow instead.

that normally sorts it out.

i guess i should do this with all moves but it takes ages to get moves that clean and if i can force it and make it look good then that will do wink

i find fire helped a lot also.

my timing with fire is normally pretty good (or at least better than with normal poi) as you have an extra aural measure with the poi making noise.

and what dom said is quite true - if it doesn't work well and it looks like a lot of work to learn, forget about it!

windmills from fwd on the right, airwraps on the left, a few waistwraps, btb 5bt, rev inverted weaves... none of it works, 'so to solve the problem I resolved to avoid doing them!'.

this is an excellent example of 'good timing': weavesmiley

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure Glass was going on about swing music being in 5/8 time, or some such nonsense that I pretend to be interested in So just start spinnig to swing music!

noooooooooooooooo!

that would be too confusing - 5/8 in music means 5 quavers (or read 'notes' if you don't know what quavers are!) so you'd have to count to 5. When doing poi you definately need something in 4/4 or 2/4 which is why most dance music is so good. It's like trying to poi to a waltz, confusing even if you're doing 3bts.

Edit: sorry about the complete irrelevance of this post to the thread... smile

Actually I think it's relevant. Swing music is mostly 4/4 but there's an emphasis on the 5th of every 8 beats. Ideally, your swing chick should do something impressive on the 5th of every 8 beats.

It don't mean a THING...... if it ain't got-that SWING!!!

1.2......3.........4..5!!! (6 7 8)1..2..3....4..........5!!! (6 7 8)

See... even Ella agrees.

Waltzing to a 3 beat weave.... sounds cool. Sounds perfect in fact. maybe that's why I like 4 beat weaves so much... as someone who really likes to spin 'on the beat' to techno and hiphop. I guess I'll have to learn a 7 beat weave before I try spinning to Pink Floyd's "Money". I have spun a 5 beat to the Wierd Attractor's "Voodo 5ves" and it works (Or the "Mission Impossible" theme or any other 5/4 timing for that matter.)

Thanks for the ideas. I always try to spin slow when learning but will continue to do so.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I guess I'll have to learn a 7 beat weave before I try spinning to Pink Floyd's "Money".

that would be some feat - my 7bt (practically non existant) weave fits in to more like 6 with the last 2 being all mushed together - pretty much the same with the 5bt too ubbcrying.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
feel proud. last time i tried a 5 bt weave, i had to get someone to untie my hands. Thats the last time i try 5 beat with really long poi.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I think 5 beat is actually easier with longer poi. Really short poi often hit my arms.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I think its just a case of being shown how to do it, rather than trying by myself.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
just another quick note on watching your poi when practising- when its sunny go outside and watch what's going on with your shadow- for me as good as a mirror- better in fact as I don't have to look at my ugly mug! wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hey.. Music stiles which have rhythmic timing are good to get into rhythm that make Poi live. I like Jungle, D'n'B, Psytrance, Ambient, they are good for it smile and practise too smile

POI THEO(R)IST

HaggardSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
I use a window to see my reflection in, or yeah even my shadow.
Failing that, some Old SKool Prodigy usually keeps me right hehe

Sgt Baker is my name, Gonna teach you how to play the game of warfare