HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
what do most people do at the end of their performance? i've built up quite a repertoir of fun/dramatic poi moves and tricks, but i feel i never know how to stop. Is there a good way to take a bow, a good finale move so people know that you've stopped, and its clapping time? i guess my other problem is that most of the music i spin to is trancey stuff, and the tracks often last 6 or 8 minutes, while the fire only lasts 3 or 4, ya know? so when/if i stop in the middle of a song, it seems abrupt. and i'd rather not just spin until the fire goes out, i heard thats bad for wick endurance. so, any ideas?-heph

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
These awesome fire dancers I saw about a month ago were spinning together, and at the end they abruptly knelt wth their heads down and touched their wicks to the ground for a pause..it worked really well

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
please see my post under "Hoi Poi Polloi, first gig story" I'll see if I can come up with something for later that doesn't involve quite so much Sheer Dumb Luck, and a DJ/Live Band...Jesse-the-spoiled

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
mebbe wrapping them around your wrist, stopping when they're 10 inches below your hands, bring them up to your face, and blow them out. Warning: do not attempt when flames are two feet high. Also, i usually just to a really fast foreward to reverse circular weave until they put themselves out.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Tsumi, who did you see?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I swing them normally (forward) than bring them up inside my arms to my chest and then when they reach my face I blow parrafin on them. Looks really cool.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
that sounds great, garbo! i've been meaning to try that (although i'll practice without poi to start with !) can i ask you, do you keep the paraffin in your mouth the whole performance??? or is there some way of getting it halfway. hang on, wicked idea....what if you had one of those camelbacks, you know, the cycling backpack with water resevoir and put paraffin in instead, you could take as many mouthfuls as you liked and have several 'fire-breaths' during your performance. am i mad or would that work??? grin

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
One move I've seen a few times, and tried last night for the first time is this: when the wicks are close to going out, speed up in a forward spin at your sides and whack them vigorously into the ground. That'll usually put them out, I think, and it puts a nice exclamation point at the end of your show.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
Diana: unfortunately I don't know who they were. ^^;; But they were at a cloud factory new'year's party in san mateo (bay area). There were like 5 or 6 of them doing solo and duo acts.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I usually have the parrafin in my mouth the whole time. If you have a big enough mouthfull then you can probably manage about three blows in each run. The parrafin does tend to make you feel dizzy after a while but it looks great esp if you can do it smoth and fast peace out garbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 18 February 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
bobrob, many peole have had the idea of using the packs for various things, like grog, walken round with 2L of grog on ur back rules, but a word of warning, grog stains the bag, u'll be driniking water that has a taste of grog in it, so if u used some flamable liquid in there, would u want to be drinken out of it after and still tasten that?its a good idea n all, mabey get a realy cheap one or something, u can buy just the bladders and a tube cheap, it has no insulation of anything, but ur not after that, so that might work out for the best.

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
methinks storing flammable liquids in a reservoir attached to your back while spinning with fire probably isn't such a great idea. i guess you'd have to *seriously* mess up for things to go wrong, but if they did, you'd be screwed. any other ideas, for the non-firebreathers out there?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Depends on how accustomed to heat your hands are. You could let your poi go down to a *small* flick of a flame, do a fast wrist wrap with arms out to the side and head bowed, catching the now extinguished wick in your palms. You have this pose like from the crow movie posters working (I am a *big* fan so it's where I got the idea). Take your bow, unwrap and dunk asap. If you don't want them to go out, one hand it, take a drink, make a toast and take your bow...all while doing one hand.Or, tangle them intentionally in front of you. Jump them as you would a jump rope only leaving your arms extended behind you and walk forward. Have a safety take them, extinguish them and dunk them while you take your bows, say your thanks.I am only familiar with stage type shows so these might not be appropriate for podium freestyle type things but I thought I might add a little here, I hope.Bright swinging.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i've been thinking more about finishing moves and wick preservation recently and i would like to compare moves a bit more. are there some more suggestions for finallies? i was thinking it might be a good habit to always extinguish the torches prematurely with a wet towel when doing practice runs but then have a different ending with a little more of an oomph to it when doing a live performance. the sensation that i get when ending a purformance by running off stage to extinguish my torches real fast is pretty anticlimactic. best metaphor would be when you're interupted while having sex just before orgasm, almost but not quite enough to satisfy. anyhow i have been picking my brain trying to come up with a cool fire finaly. for a performance ending i was kind of thinking about doing an interpritive dance peice with two non-fire/safety/crowd control costumed dancers. at the begining of the performance they have direct roles/interaction then during the bulk of the dance they are more to the side stage subtle background and then reemerge for the end extinguishing dance with the performer. the feel of the dance would kind of be like a beast (fire perfomer) that escapes its chains and celebrates, warms up to open space with moves that evolve from slow small and refined. then the dance progresses to wild large fast complex expansive movements. finally for it is toned down to more subdued, exasted, dying moves (like the kind that are done when doing spinning on your knees) that opens stage for the non fire dancers to enter with more emphasis to "recapture" and extinguish the fire dancer. anyhow, this is the idea that i have been playing with for how to end my pieces. critique away, exchange ideas, tell me what ya think.

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
the only decent 'finishing' move i've seen is a lot like the one adamrice talked about - except one is spinning forward, one backward, you kneel and slam both poi into the ground - and hope they both go out wink

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
In regards to the music thing:You could resample your music to the length you want. - orStart it in the middle. - orHave the sound person fade it out when you're done.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Pratice letting them go straight up in the air and landing them into their own bucket of water. Or catch them in your pockets. winkSuper'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Here's one that has a kind of "Wow" factor, but more a sort of "Wow - that was stupid" thing I discovered whilst pissed and spinning (Yes, I know it's not big or clever - but it's sure as hell fun)Basically, switch to a one hand butterfly and slip one Poi of so it goes up, then slip off the other one so it follows. As they come back down, clap them with both hands and they go out (Presuming they're burnt down enough) Make sure the claps quick but completely engulfs the Poi (needs small wicks) and it works....Most of the time.Another one, more for show, is letting a one handed butterfly slow down to a stop and using the remaining flame to light a cigarette (or other smoking thing).

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude