SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
I know this has been talked about a million times over, but since I can't seem to find the thread I was reading the other day, just thought I'd put out a question to all you travellers out there...

...As some of you may know, I'm taking off to New Zealand for a while, and would like to take my toys with me: poi, 2' staff, 4'staff. The poi and long staff haven't been lit yet, so I'm not as worried about them until it's time for the return trip. I've talked to BIG IMPORTANT people and have explained my situation to them, and each one has told me that it is a hazard to bring my staff on the plane as it has kerosene on it. I told them that it is just small amounts of residue, and they all said that it doesn't matter, that I have to get it specially cleaned and packaged up and all that jazz. What do I do?

confused

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Could aways just ship it ahead of you... Sucks and it'll cost you but at least you'll have a staff

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Do a search and you'll find a few threads with suggestions like making a strong and air tight staff travelling bag, taking wick off, etc...

And it doesn't matter what the 'big important' people say because when it comes down to it it's what the ground staff say/think that matters. Make it look and smell OK and you won't need to mention kerosene, only that it's 'juggling/performance equipment'

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
In the past I've had no trouble with just wrapping the ends in bubble wrap and tying them down with a piece of string. Then just hand them in at the fragile and weird sized luggage desk at the airport. They still come out the other end with baggage handler footprints all over them though. mad

smile R

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Dom
Make it look and smell OK and you won't need to mention kerosene

Like a few drops of lavender and a pretty bow... maybe... tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
never had ne trouble, and going to new zealand, would not be so hard as going to America for instance. I would not recomendthat u try and take it on hand luggage, because that will get u arrested and given chinese water torture. Declare then if u wish, but i wontn't stress to hard, and if they ask nething aboiut them u could just play the dumb tourist

i did notice the other day that Qantas has recently put fire sticks onto the thier dangerous goods cards, so u might be best off declaring them now, but yeah, dont stress too much. as for de-smelling the wicks, super idea, just dont know how u would do it

cheers beerchug

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
hahahaha!! I got fooled. I thought he had a question about planes as they apply to poi performance, lol.

I was reading along getting very confused and then... "OOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!! he means airplanes!"

Sorry, I'm a little slow this morning. spank

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice; I'm sure a pertty bow wouold do just the trick!! biggrin

Well, I guess I'll jsut wrap it up tight and hope for the best...

1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by dj_goose
i did notice the other day that Qantas has recently put fire sticks onto the thier dangerous goods cards

eek
When did you see that???

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
i recently flew within the US (denver colorado to oakland california) and forgot to transfer my fire poi into my checked baggage before i headed off to the security line. they searched me and my carry on bags and came up with my poi and after i explained what they were the guy just shrugged and put them back in my bag!

*boggle*

i was pleased but amazed. he was just happy to say that he had never met a firedancer before ...

kristie

157 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by dj_goose
i did notice the other day that Qantas has recently put fire sticks onto the thier dangerous goods cards

eek
When did you see that???

sorry it wasn't qantas it was Virgin, i saw it just last week, it was sooooo funny, it had guns, bombs, hand grenades, fire extinquishers, knives a few other random things and right at the bottom a little picture of a fire staff witht eh words "fire sticks" written next to it

haha

neway, cheers beerchug

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

1,903 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOOO!!! We're flying down on friday... with our staffs... rolleyes

157 posts

Posted:
dont stress, just hand them in with your baggage and there is no prob

cheers beerchug

1,903 posts

Posted:
but I wanted to twirl "on" the plane... *Sigh* frown

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
So even though I go through customs like 8 times, so long as they can't see or smell anything, I'll be ok? If they didn't like me would they take them away?? eek

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i took my poi with my to england this january. just had them packed in my baggage which i checked. i didn't have any problems whatsoever. and i had accidentally sat them in a pool of paraffin, along with my flags and tailed poi. we washed the washable material, but the rest was quite smelly (chains and handles). and i still didn't have any problems. smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, then Im probly worried over nothing...and my bro just flew in from the LAX airport last night, and he said everything is computerized, hardly anyone around. It was so relaxed... that's the airport I was worried about...

I'll be fine. smile

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I just flew within the US, and had posted here before with questions about flying. I put the poi in oven bags (you put a turkey in 'em and seal 'em up to cook in the oven). This keeps the smell down. I put mine in a case with a note saying "these are maori poi, a performance toy" and I didn't mention fire or fuel. They were in checked luggage, under the plane. What I read before suggested putting the staff in a fishing-pole carrying case, or making one out of PVC with regular plumbing caps on the ends. Maybe oven-bag the ends, too?

Enjoy New Zealand, it's my Favorite place on Earth (I must stop telling so many people, however)!!

take the schneak-tip

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Argh, I'm flying Virgin to J'berg in a week or so; This may be reiterating the point but I way just planning to seal the lil' beaut up and pack it in my luggage. I'm presuming this is the way to go...

Humm.. Maybe contact airline in advance?

Firesticks, clearly a WMD

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
If I were you, I'd contact them anonymously and not mention which plane you'll be riding. In case they freak out and say "no, you can't bring that at all, sorry" you can just pack them in your suitcase and claim ignorance.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
When I went to spain two months ago I just wrapped the wicks in cellephane, chucked the chains in my bag and it all went through as hand luggage without a problem. On the way back my bag was to heavy and that time went in the luggage hold. Again no probs there.

All the best, try not to draw attention to yourself in the airport!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
I guess it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission...

...wish me luck!!

13 days to go...