Page:
Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
There is so much diversity when it comes to places where members of this site live.I was wondering about religion and the diversity of religion in the spinning world.I am Jewish, and I consider myself to be religious and it would be interesting to find out the religion of other members of the site and whether or not they consider themselves to be religious.------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
Athiest.. but def. not anti-faith. I envie religious people for being able to so dedicated to something they can't touch. wink------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

utilitydeamonmember
33 posts

Posted:
im athiest, but i have nothing against any religion. i am athiest, not because i "dont have enough time" or "i just dont care", but because i have not found a religion that i honestly believe in.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
I mentioned somewhere I have turned my back on catholicism for moral reasons. It seems that the older I get, the more I believe that organized (most, not all) religion is a farce. It seems to me to be a good way of controlling people that are afraid of being wrong, or alone. It seems once you get past the usual golden rules, everything deals with the 'hereafter'. What is more scary, believing in Hell, or being there alone?I guess my answer is: I'm still open, but skeptical that of anyone that says they have the answer.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I believe in a god, but not necessarily your god.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
First of all I have to say I feel Faith is the belief in a power greater than ones-self, no matter what it is or where it comes from. I don't think you have to be religious to have faith, nor do I think all religious people have faith. Faith, I think, is more of a lifestyle. I live everyday with my faith strongly present.I view being religious as the act of going to church, synogog, temple, circle, ritual, etc. This to me is more political and I am not a religious person at all. I used to be. I used to be able to marry, bury and preside over large events and/or classes legally in my state, but the politics behind it were absolutely ridiculous and so I let my licensure expire and I will never again renew it. I was recognised as a spiritual leader in a faith that had more people who did it because it was cool, or because they were confused about the concepts, or because it was a way to piss off the other religious rights. The group 4 friends and I started became so political I had to set aside my passion for what I was doing and resign, a decision that broke my heart. I am slowly becoming more active in my faith community again, but I am not going to step up as I did before.I have alot of faith, and very little religion.On another note, I have this belief that faith is where you find it, and while the god/s of others may not fit my life, they are definately appropriate for others. I have no condemnation for any belief that does not hurt its followers. It is one of those, if enough people believe in it, then it is will happen things. If enough people put energy into believing in a diety, I think that energy probably creates that diety, and gives it the power they believe in.On a side but related note:Has anyone read the Narnia Chronicles?In one there is a soldier who dies fighting for the lord who opposes Aslan the Lion (who is representative of God in the books). When the soldier dies he expects to see his lord but instead Aslan is there to greet him. When the soldier asked Aslan why he was to be in the light of eternity Aslan responded because the soldiers faith was pure. He believed so much in his lord that he never waivered in his fight, he never questioned his lord or his duties. His faith was pure, even though his lord was not, and that in passing the soldier was judged on the purity of his faith, not on his actions.I found this extremely profound, especially for a childrens book, so I thought I would share.Oh...Earth based Pagan Spiritualist (not god/dess based). I am not Wiccan, which I get confused for often. I was introduced to my spirituality through the women in my family, great grandmother on down. Ironically, my mother and one grandmother have since converted tobeing Baptist and my sister is Evangelistic. Strange huh?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I was a die hard anti-christian atheist for awhile, that changed this year mostly due to a boy i met who was very very mormon, but also very nice. I sort of wandered over to being a random agnostic (Huxley's defintition, I belive we will never know the truth, not "i doubt the existence of god"). I belive that there are powers greater than us, but who knows what they are or whatever. I also have a very disturbing faith in "everything turning out all right" i don't know what you would call it but i strongly belive everything happens for a reason even if we can't know that reaosn. It's completly unshakable in my head, and lately (last 9months or so)i've started to come to the conclusion that nothing is or can be permanent, but while that makes it hard to be commited to things sometimes because of teh sort of rug sliding out frm under me feeling, it also makes it easier for me to deal with a lot of things because just as good things arn't permanent, seperation and pain arn't permanent either.... I don't really suscrib eto a particular religion, but i agree with Pele, that's no measure of faith.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i guess pele said it best ( so what else is new) when she said earth based pegan spiritualist. i am not a christain...thats for sure. although i was raised to believe in that. i cant say i am wiccan but i retain some of the beliefs of the religion nonetheless. my belief isnt god or goddess based. but the way i see it...to each his/her own..just because i dont believe in something doesnt mean someone else has the right to disagree. religion/belief is personal to each person in the world...and no one has the right to say anything about it in my opinion. but thats just my opinion isnt it------------------'' not all who wander are lost'' J.R.R. Tolkien'' its better to burn out...then to fade away'' Def Leppard

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I'm a pagan, following a loosely wiccan path at the moment, as its what I 'started out' on. Mainly now I'm a celtic/techno shaman.------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral'ride the spiral to the end, It may just go where no-ones been'

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I do agree with pele as well. I wish that I could see more "religious" people have faith as oppossed to just saying that they are part of a certain religion. On the oher side though.. while people can honestly say that their faith helps them through their lives everyday.. it is not helping other people. With absolutly NO disrespect to anyone... praying is not proving poor families with enough food to live on. Today, its something like 1 in 5 of the world's population lives on less than a dollar a day. People's faith is not helping those people. It takes REAL action and REAL commitment to help solve problems.I seriously hope no one took offense to that. I totally didn't mean to make anyone mad. Just saying what I think.. hope you do the same.. smile Matt------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well said Matt, but I think that is why so many volunteer organizations these days do actually have roots in religious factions. However, it is up to the individual to take action, whether in a church or not. Sometimes prayer, ritual, whatever can provide a strength or an enlightenment to some people on how to take that action. Not usually for me mind you, but others. winkIt may not be a grand scale solution but like meditation, it can help, I am told.Ahhhhhh...what's that saying about good intentions and roads??? wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
My parents are both recovering Catholics. They left the church shortly after I was born. So I grew up with out any real structure of faith. When I was 12 or 13 I started having serious questions about faith and religion in general. So much of it just didn't seem right to me. So I started studying and reading every book I could find On every religion I could find.Ten years later I have ammassed a huge conglomeration of philosophies and beliefs that suit me very well. Mostly, though, I am of the Taoist persuasion. I'm not a very good Taoist, but I try.My current girlfriend has been attending bible college for much the same reason that I started studying religion, and she has given me much more insight into Christianity as a whole than just reading the bible ever did. Like she pointed out the fact that Jesus always hung aroud with the sinners because he thought all the "holy men" of his time were full of it.But my firmist belief? If Jesus were here, he'd be pretty freaking pissed off.And I wonder if the world wouldn't be a better place if insted of asking "What would Jesus do?" if everyone asked themselves "What if I'm Jesus, what should I do?"------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
rasta mon smile

utilitydeamonmember
33 posts

Posted:
The one thing that I have against religion is that its so publasized, especially christianity. For many people, saying that your religios and going to church is the "cool thing to do" and they do it to fit in and be accepted.This is to the point, I have found, that most of the christians pretend to care, pretend to have faith, and pretend to believe in god, or people who are forced to go (because of parents, boy/girlfriends, ect.). And by then, religion loses a little bit of credibility.------------------visit salinecarnies.com!im poiboy on the site!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I have never been a particularly religious person, going to a christian primary school kinda cured me of that. I have always said that one day I will sit down & have a good think about it. (I know, not a particularly effective solution, I should maybe set a date wink, Alternatively, someone could try & recruit me to their faith/cult)R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Can i just make a quick point here.An aethiest is someone who believes that there is absolutely no higher power. Everything that happens is simply just luck, fate. There is no plan laid out for our lives, nothing. At the end, its all over.Anyone who believes in a higher being but does not belive in a religion is agnostic.So if you say, Aetheist but not anti-faith, you are probably actually agnostic.As for me im a psuedo-christian. I was always taken to church, i have seen some people who have been very touched by what they believe is the power of god, but i personally have never experienced any sort of divine contact. Im a person who has to see to believe. So im still very skeptical.so yeah thats me.....

Good on usGood on us all

utilitydeamonmember
33 posts

Posted:
I am saying that, although I do not believe in a higher power, i respect the opinions of the people that do and in no means am against religion. Its just that im not religious myself. ------------------"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"www.salinecarnies.com

utilitydeamonmember
33 posts

Posted:
but i suppose that agnostic better describes me.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I was going to avoid this one, but I really can't help myself sometimes...Atheist spiritualist? Not sure if spiritualist is exactly the right word, but you get the drift. I believe there's definitely no god like being. There's probably higher beings, but they'll be aliens shaping the galaxy and have little to do with our existance, until they turn up and try to run off with half the solar system. I believe that like everything in nature, our lives have seasons, but looping in a untimely and random order. I believe we all have a 'spirit' and that spirit is the energy of our lives, with mental and physical components. Everything, inert or alive, has it's own energy with it's own vibrations. This energy can be felt, shared and manipulated to benefit or harm. I believe the ultimate aim of biological life is procreation. The ultimate aim of any spiritual and intelligent life is to be joyous and to help the rest of the world be such too. Nothing against faith and belief in god/s, if it's true faith and not blind. I could write too much about why organised religions are often wrong and why the interfering zealots should lighten up and respect other people's lives. But I'll stop there wink

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Right now I'm not part of any religion.I was raised as a catholic because my mum was but I sort of drifted out of that when I decided that going kayaking on a sunday morning was much more fun.I don't really believe in godlike figures, I believe a religion is really just a code of ethics hidden behind a god (or gods) to make it more accessable to people.I prefer to live by a code of ethics that feels right to me, rather than one I'm told I should follow.I suppose that just because I havn't found a religion that fits me yet, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just don't have a name I can use for it yet.------------------We've got a blind date with destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
i definitely don't beleive in a god. Everything about the idea kind of gives me the chills. I'm in control... not something that isn't tangible. Its been this way for me since about 7th grade and I'm a Sophomore in college smile.Athiest is what I am. I don't think there is a "higher power" whatsoever. ------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
im Jewish. nothing religious though. i was looking into qabala but it looks way to intense for me. i find wicca and peganism very interesting to.

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Ye kabbalah is sum crazy shizm,,,
I always looked at God as a source of inspiration, that actually helps me rather than controls me,,,
I beleive that you live your life and choose your paths and he helps you or puts roadblocks in your way,,,by putting those roadblocks there, you must overcome them making you a stronger person and increasing your faith
but thats just my view...

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Just because you believe in a higher power, doesn't necessarily mean their pulling your string, to coin a phrase:
'I dont believe in a god that I need to worship,
I dont believe in a need of getting down on my knees'

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
I'm Jewish too, and proud of it!!!

I have had a good Jewish upbringing in my synagogue and youth group, through which I have learned a great deal about my beliefs, helping me grow stronger ties to them.

However, I know a big source of conflict in this world is people who do not know or understand others' ideas and beliefs. If anyone has any questions about Judaism, I'd be more than happy to answer them as best as I can!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
A ha ahhaah
there's like this expectation for people to have a religion - that their beliefs have to follow a convention. What aboot us wee folk who live the humanist tack?
I for one have religion called 'twirling' with the only e-pihanies i receive by way of modern spirituality: e.g. rave dancefloor, a tub o' ice cream or a whole lotta meditation.

In the end it's a quest for happiness where the only answer is that ... there's no need for the quest in the first place! I spend my energy being nice, not rote learniing Ezkiel 25:17.
I love people*

*everyone 'cept people who barrack for Port Power grr. ;p only joking

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ice cream epiphanies!!! My favourite kind.

R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
I'm a christain, and i do attend a church, but god is alive to me, it's more a lifestyle/being to me than a religion. I oftern pray while spinning, does anyone else?

It's all good

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
yes, I do

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
On the last census it was written:
I believe I'll have another beer

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Ye same here as Q
any judaism questions Im here to answer them

Page: