Forums > Social Chat > Soy Milk Vs Cow's Milk

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i'm highly confused. im trying to look up on the internet to find which is better, and although sites generaly say soy milk is, some of them have then turned around and said "but..."

so i was wondering if anyone here can give me a straight answer, please!
i also hear that soy yoghurt is easier for your body to digest - is this right as well? and will soy milk give me enough calcium?

thanks biggrin

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i think they're both good for you in different ways. It's like every kind of food really, like red wine's supposed to help prevent heart disese but it could also kill you.

at the end of the day i guess it's just down to personal taste.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
To add to the many folktales about soy milk.
Some studies seemed to indiate that putting children on cows milk made them more likely to develop Type one Diabetes. So friends with one child with diabetes and high risk genes in the second kid decided to minimise the chances of another type one kid.
So they put number two child on Soy milk. Had severe allergic reaction and nearly lost him.......

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*looks worryingly around for dom*

i can safely say milk from cows is better than soy milk. ubbangel

it smells better and comes in lots of varieties including chocolate and 'full cream'.

however i've been reliably informed that its not as good for you as the internet and the dairy companies make out...

*runs out before dom arrives*

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
You can get soy milk that is rich in calcium. It'll say it on the carton. Trust me, you'll feel fantastic adding this healthy alternative to your diet smile

Soy milks wonderful! I love it. I just had some vanilla flavoured warmed up before going to bed for extra sweet dreams ubblove

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i wonder what soy nipples look like?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Look under the soya creature......
..milked by very ickle ppl..

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Soy milk tends to be distressingly brown. It's not natural to have that on your cornflakes in the morning.

Have you tried goat milk? Some brands are slightly goaty but others you can't tell apart from cow, and being slightly lactose intolerant I can tell you now it's way easier to digest.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Cow's milk is far superior, and easier to get, if you're a calf.
In Australia, So good essentials is the best, and it's not brown! Also So good choc milk is the best choc milk you can get. Shame UK hasn't caught up to our lead yet waveSoy milk is also the best for banana & mango smoothies Try it, you'll like it.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
For the first few years of life, i was allergic to cows milk (gave me ezchema), and had goats milk instead. Then from about 4 till 18 I drank cows because I could, and my parents beleived the post war propoganda (when the government was all for promoting foods that were both non imported and high in nutrician) that not drinking it would gives you rickets and make you die a slow and painful death. For the past 4 years I've been vegan. For the first couple of years I drank soy milk, the previous 2 fresh soy drink.

Traditional Soy/Soya Milk (now called "Soy alternative to milk", after the US milk marketting board won a court case, worried that cows milk drinkers might by it by mistake and not notice the difference. They went after coconut milk too, and got told to piss off) has been drunk in china/far east for thousands of years and is nutricianally simular to milk. It's made from soya beans and water only, the cheese equivellent is called tofu. Soya is a highly nutricianal foodstuff, containing large amounts of calcium and protein. It works well in cookery, but doesn't taste identical to cows milk. They also have different properties. Cows milk contains a thing called casin, which allows it to melt. Soya doesn't, which is why soya cheese doesn't melt properly like cheese does. Soya cheese exists purely because a lot of vegetarians live off the stuff, and when they transition to veganism they go out and buy it. It tastes like poo, and I don't know any other vegans who buy it. You can make cream with it quite well, again tastes like poo on its own, but can be used in cookery. Yogurt works really well, and its hard to taste the difference. Icecream also works really well, it tastes identical to good quality cows. Since a vegan diet contains no cholesterol, and people these days are starting to get worried about cholesterol, a lot of soya products are now being bought by non vegans. This increase in sales has enabled companies to start making fresh soya milk now, and fresh soya drink. Soya drink is basically a white liquid containing soya, but more complex than just beans and water, and tastes far far far better. Again you can cook with it and use it like you would cows milk, and its what i always have in my fridge. It comes in several flavours too, i have a packet of fresh chocolate on my desk as we speak. The brand I buy (So Good, based in australia and available in various other countries) contains 25% more calcium than cows milk.

People who buy it sometimes expect it to taste identical, and when it tastes like wee they never buy it again. Both cows milk and soy milk have pretty weird flavours, you just get used to it. I'm totally used to soya milk now. During xmas I took a sip of tea made by my parents, and the mugs had got mixed up, so i got cows milk by mistake. It tasted dreadful, like gone off soy milk. Others boycott soya because of negetive press they've heard to do with GM. The irony is that virtually every loaf of bread you buy from the supermarket contains soya flour (which works as an emulsifier) and this is where the majority of GM soya goes, not into minority products like milk, tofu etc. Most buyers of soya milk in the first world are the sort of peple who are anti GM, and virtually all soya milk is non GM. I've offered people including my sister tofu before and had it turned down because soya is disgusting. She'd never tried it, and was blissfully unaware that virtually all the bread she eats contains it. My parents who both eat meat generally only have vanilla soy icecream in the house these days, because they can't tell the difference. Last summer one of my relatives was staying and when i came down to the kitchen once she was eating a bowl of it. I said that I might get a bowl too, to which she said "can you get vegan icecream?". I replied "yeah, it's made from soya, do you want to taste some?". "No thanks, it sounds pretty disgusting".

In countries where it's too hot for animal milk without refridgeration, humans have survived fine without it. A large percentage of humans are lactose intollerant because they haven't evolved with the ability to digest cows milk. In some countries (china i think?), breast cancer is called "rich womens disease". Some pro soya milk people like to point out the link that only the rich could afford refridgeration/cows milk. What people in christian countries where there are very few vegans forget is that in countries with religions such as buddhism which promote veganism, there are 10s of millions of monks/nuns who have been living long and healthy lives for the past couple of thousand years off soya milk not cows. There's lots of speculation about the link between cows milk and various diseases, but as far as i know none have been proved, other than the fact that soya milk/yogurt/icecream etc contains no cholesterol. Personally thou, the year I turned vegan 2 things happened. First I lost my hayfever/dust allergy, which i used to suffer chronically from. Secondly I lost 95% of the zits i used to get. These could both be coincidental, but if you read newsgroups you'll see a lot of poeple reporting the same thing.

Anyway, I could talk for hours on the subject, but won't bore you any longer. Basically, if you're worried about it not being nurticianally sound, then it's good that you're thinking about such things. I can assure you though that if you look for more info you'll find that it is totally fine. Don't take my word for it thou, go out and read. I'm always sceptical of what people write on the internet, especially when it comes to health, and i encourage you to be too.

Hope this helps, and btw, this is what a soya nipple looks like:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
well i'd have to go with soy as being healthier .. as someone said earlier you can buy it with extra calcium/ vitamins etc and in many flavours just like dairy milk .. but i l#also wanna point out that its a natural source of oestrogen .. so if you are like me and have an evil twin once a month cos of PMS or PMT this is a bloody good thing to take .. it keeps you oestrogen levels balanced so you dont have the mood swings etc biggrin if you find you dont like drinking the soy milk (like me blegh!) i find other things with it in.. ie bread yougut etc etc biggrin hope that helped a wee bit biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Wow, someone definately knows a bit too much about soy rofl.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Soy is actually a really awesome food in what it provides nutrition wise (including "complete protein") and also for the fact that it doesn't require as much resources to grow than cows.
If you think Tofu is crap, try some fresh teriyaki Tofu. I say this because if you think it's crap., you obviously haven't tried it yet.

How many non-aussies are surprised that we know so much about veganism? You all get told that we all eat steaks all day don't you? I love debunking myths wave

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I only found out last week Australians don't actually put shrimp on the barbie! eek

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My general view of milk for adults is that it's not really a good way to give yourself nutrition.

I firmly believe that the only calories people should drink should come from alcohol, and few of them at that. Of course, the occasional treat of soda or something like hot cocoa is fine. And a bit of honey or sugar in your tea or coffee doesn't add that much in terms of calories (a teaspoon of sugar has about 30 kcal).

In the U.S., in particular, but also in other industrialized nations (yes, even the U.K., N.Z. and Australia) obesity is on the rise.

Although you may not have a weight problem now that you are young, establishing good eating habits now is crucial to prevent it from getting bad. Liquids can provide a lot of calories without being filling. In time, as your metabolism and your sense of hunger become slower, this can lead to obesity. Thus, it is best to avoid both soy and cow's milk as beverages. You can get your calcium from other sources. Eat an orange instead of drinking a glass of orange juice.

As for whether you should be eating soy-based yogurt and ice cream and stuff, well that's a question of your own beliefs. Personally, I believe that wherever there is a feasable alternative to animal-based products, we should use vegetable ones. Having said that, I wear leather shoes, own a leather wallet, and prefer real cheese to soy cheese. However, I eat my cereal with soymilk and I use soymilk to cook. I also have yet to find a good vegan replacement for eggs (and believe me, I've tried just about everything). However, other people disagree with me and that's absolutely their right.

For kids, on the other hand, I do recommend either cow's milk or soymilk that is fortified with calcium for drinking. By the time a kid is 13 or 14, this should be phased out, though.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Look under the soya creature......
..milked by very ickle ppl..

Yeah, how DO they milk a soya anyhow??

I'll keep drinking cow milk.

Raph

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
SOY SOY SOY!!

I love my soy milk, my tempeh and my tofu. Soy is good for you - lots of protein and essential fats. Femented Soy is even better (as in tempeh and BonSoy brand soy milk).

I'm lactose intolerant so can't have dairy (the only thing I miss is ice-cream and double brie cheese), but cow's milk is really not designed for humans in general, as far as I can tell. Since when did we have 7 stomachs? Since when are we expected to grow from a baby cow into a fully grown cow in a short peroid of time? Humans are not built to digest cows milk with its masses of fats, and the dairy corporations have done a very convincing job of telling us we don't have enough calcium in our diet without cows milk.

Cow's milk promotes phlegm. Cow's milk may contain much protein and calcium, but as I stated previously, we are not baby cows and therefore can't really absorb or break down the nutrients.

Check here for some interesting information about , including this:

Mother's milk contains 4 times less calcium than cow's milk. Mothers' milk does, of course, contain all the calcium babies need in their first two years. Babies fed on mother’s milk are perfectly able to increase bone-mineral density. And because our natural foods, on the average, contain about as much calcium as mother's milk, it is absolutely impossible that these natural foods contain too little calcium.

anyway, my soy cappucino is getting cold....

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
reading flash's post, i forgot to add the fact that humans are the only animals who both drink milk all our lives, and drink the milk of other species.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
also,

cows milk which is produced on a large scale (ie the milk you buy in cartons) is shipped all over the place in big tanker trucks. These trucks need to be cleaned after each shippment as there is a toxin build up you get from shipping milk before its been treated. The cleaning agents they use to clean the inside of the trucks are some of the most toxic used in the food and beverage industry, and you guessed it, there are signinficant levels of these chemicals in the cows milk you pour from the carton.

I drink fresh goats milk when I drink milk cuz I'm lucky enough to live on a farm...

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Every dairy farm I have ever seen pasturized their milk onsite.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Actually I don't even believe they would transport milk unpasteruized. It would ruin the milk, no amount of pasteurization would change the flavour. Sounds like typical hippie-lies.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
woah flid!

a hell-a lot of info there! but it makes me feel good about drinking soy milk! and i honestly dont think it tastes too bad! (considering i never liked straight cows milk anyway!)

to people trying to drink it, "soy life" (in australia) is actually quite good. otherwise, mix it with milo, and gradually add less and less milo to it as you get used to the taste

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Quote:

reading flash's post, i forgot to add the fact that humans are the only animals who both drink milk all our lives, and drink the milk of other species.

Yeh, could you imagine feeding breastmilk to your cat? eek

Cowjuice is yukkie. I've no idea what soy milk is like though, I've always disliked the taste of milk and so have steered away from anything remotely resembling it. Probably won't ever bother trying it though, I've no real desire to start drinking any beverages that I've gotten this far in life without peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

In Australia, So good essentials is the best, and it's not brown! Also So good choc milk is the best choc milk you can get. Shame UK hasn't caught up to our lead yet

sorry to dissapoint you, but we've had So Good for years wink

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've tasted goats milk and thought it was the same as cow juice. It was very fresh though...
I have also tasted rice milk and found it nice too.

I've not tasted soy milk though.
smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Oh man, I was doing some research on the Dairy Industry a short while ago and I came across a pro-vegan web site that told me things that no one should ever know. For about a week I wouldn't even touch a milk carton.
The site talked about huge dairy farms where they give a crap load of hormones to their cows so they can produce more milk, faster. The hormones make the udder swell and can cause it to be severly infected and....ummm.....gross stuff gets into your milk. Oh god.
he only time I ever use milk is in cooking, tea or hot chocolate. I don't like the taste and soy products here are about three times the price of other foods. I just can't afford to be healthy! ubbcrying

P*L*U*R

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Remember that pro-vegan sites often lie through their teeth (depending on the site)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i agree, you'll always find misleading, sometimes outrageously made up information from both pro and anti sources. Make sure to back up information you find from impartial sources and ones which are creditable/care too much about their image to make things up (for the most part anyway), such as governments, RSPCAs etc. You'll generally find the information or at least the basis of it is the same, but sometimes extremist sites will 'sex up' information and try and make circumstantial evidence look concrete.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im not saying the milk farmers union or whatever doesn't lie either, and hasn't coerced other organizations into lieing for them.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Cowjuice is yukkie. I've no idea what soy milk is like though, I've always disliked the taste of milk and so have steered away from anything remotely resembling it. Probably won't ever bother trying it though, I've no real desire to start drinking any beverages that I've gotten this far in life without peace

very sensible; many people seem to assume that some form of milk, whether cow, soya or goat, in their diet is essential- it's not.

Cows milk is a very dubious substance, as mentioned before, it's designed for the infants of a different species, many individuals are genetically unable to assimilate the calcium/nutrients it contains, in others it is well known for causing excess mucus.

The main reason it's so widely consumed is that it's been heavily promoted, in the past, by milk producing companies as being nutritionally essential/desirable, using very dodgy evidence.

Soya milk is generally acknowledged to be a vile tasting substance that one can acquire a taste for and eventually come to like.

As neither are necessary for health, there's a lot to be said for not bothering to acquire that taste.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
I don't understand why good soy milk doesn't seem to be available outside of Asia. The chinese really know their soy products, seems to me like the rest of us should be able to make something that tastes as good, but I haven't found it yet.

Page: