Forums > Technical Discussion > Bike chain and fire breathing

Login/Join to Participate

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
So one of my friends said the coolest poi performance he's ever seen was a guy who used bike chain. He'd lock the chain mid-move and breathe fire onto the poi head. Sounds interesting....

Any thoughts on using bike chain? How would you assemble it? Does bike chain come in more than one size. Maybe this is a good time to take that welding workshop I've been putting off....

Also - how do you breathe fire?

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The use of bike chain has been discussed before [Old link] - it's always worth searching for something here as most things have been discussed before, the boards have been here a fair old while smile

How do you breathe fire?
Eat a very hot curry...

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the link. Seems like a lot of opinions but no one's really tried it. I dont see a reason not to give it a whirl and was looking for more practical input. Yeah yeah it would hurt if you hit yourself. Honestly it can't hurt any more than seeing Michael Jackson kiss Lisa Marie Presley on national television. And we all survived that.

No, it is not the most practical option. And I'm sure there are several moves you can't do with it. But I bet there are a few you can do which might be cool enough to make it worth while.

I guess you just weld a connector to the end of the chain...I'll let you know how it goes. biggrin

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
As for fire breathing, please please please please please don't take it lightly. It's by FAR the most dangerous of the fire arts, even if you do it 100% correctly every time (which is insanely hard), you're still holding carcinogens in your mouth, and you run the risk of getting cancer. It's dangerous, and a vast majority of the people that breathe fire don't know what they're getting in to or the risks envolved. Somewhere on this site under the fire safety stuff there's fire breathing information, as well as a story by Pele, who's lungs were burned in a fire breathing accident. Don't just go out and try it, please.

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Burnt, cancerous lungs eh? Good tip... Muchas gracias amigos.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mine aren't cancerous but they are pretty well toasted to be sure. 1 year of recovery and I still feel the effects.
I wrote the how-to on the site to, and there are *****ALOT***** of threads on fire breathing if you do a search.

I have to second what M said, whatever you do, do not take it lightly.
In the past 2 years there have been no less than 9 accidents involving people who are professionals at this art, I lost count at the novice accidents, and one really had a bad death from it. Not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to set the consequences that some of the pro's have faced down from this. Keep it in the back of your mind as you read through the material and decide whether you want to go through with it then.

Bike Cable or Bike Chain? Had heard of cable (hate using it myself) And am not seeing the virtue of bike chain though. What do you think you can do with it versus other forms of support lines?

Best to you!
P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Quote:

What do you think you can do with it versus other forms of support lines?

He said something about locking the chain mid spin and breathing fire into it... Im guessing hes talking about how bike chain only bends and coils in two directions and would stay straight if you turned it on its side. Not sure what you could really do with this aside from hoizontal stalls. Doesnt seem worth it to me but it wouldnt hurt to try it out I suppose.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
She. smile

Yes, locking the chain mid-spin. Seems cool to me. May be more trouble than it's worth.... I'll keep you posted.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Sorry bout that Bubbs wink

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
No prob sugarlips. Hope you're having a great one.