_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Im thinking of getting together a sort of show to be performed in my town center. there are plenty of places i could do it, and ive though that the area i would need to use would be taped off and wuddent create n e obstruction. i'd be using glow sticks and poi, and would need music. would i need any planning permission for this? and do u need to be over 18 to do it?

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't bother taping the area off, people are smart enough not to walk right in to you. Choose a place with high traffic but a low density of people, meaning there's not a huge crowd all the time, but a steady stream of people that walk by, and possibly seats from a restaurant or something similar less than 30 feet away... great vantage point to watch your performance.

Permits not neccissary unless you're spinning fire, just make sure to keep your music to a reasonably quiet level to avoid getting a noise violation.

Might want to put this in the "Help" forum next time smile

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Aimee, where abouts are you from??
PM me?!?

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I wouldn't bother taping the area off, people are smart enough not to walk right in to you.

i wouldn't be so sure of that. fire, yes....glosticks, no. i have people walk into me all the time when i'm stringing in the clubs or anywhere out in public.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Smart enough... ubblol, people won't walk into you... ubblol... good one MillenniuM...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Clubs, yes, people will walk in to you... but you really think in a wide open public place, people will walk right in to you? In my experience with public spinning, they won't, but yes, definitely keep a mindful eye out for the unaware... never had a sober person walk right in to me before, unless it was a friend doing it as a joke.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A few years back I did a fair bit of busking with fire club juggling.

I found it surprising that anyone could be so unobservant as to walk into a fire juggler, but some did.

I also had women pushing prams walk in front of me, only feet away.

I soon started setting my rucksack, coat and other equipment to mark out a square around me, and that helped a lot.

I guess that it's only a small percentage of the population who are so unobservant, but, if you're busking for a while you're bound to encounter a few so it's worth taking precautions.

As well as marking out an area it's important to be alert and to stop when you get tired.

This was in the daylight in a pedestrianised shopping precint, if you're doing it at night with glowsticks then I expect there will be less people so it probably won't be as much of a problem.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
People WILL get very close, especially children.
If you tape off an area with instructions not to enter you're then classed as causing an obstruction. Bearing in mind we also live in a progressively more litigenous society, if you hit someone an ambulance-chasing company will probably advise them to sue (you can now get insurance to cover this in the UK).

A park would be a much better idea. You'd be surprised at the crowds you can draw there.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ambulance-chasing company

confused umm

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
People don't often walk right in to you, but they do give you so little room that you have to move back and back and back until you crash in to the wall behind you.

I generally pick an open bit and do it right in the very middle. It's like the equivalent of a cyclist not cycling right at the edge of the road so that cars think they can get past when they really can't.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
you guys are lucky, I can't count on how many times ppl would have walked into me spinning _fire_ on the street if I hadn't had a safety person there to say 'hey st00pid, watch the f00k out'.. mad mad

I wouldn't chance it, at leest have one person in addition to a safety if you're spinning on the streets...

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There have been two incorrect statements actually.

1. (Has already been covered) You betcha people will walk into you, cut you off, etc. ANd truthfully, the younger you are the more apt they are to do it with the excuse of "Stupid kids, should learn where to do those things". It isn't pretty. And if you have a smallish crowd around you, they are actually more apt to walk into your performance space because it is clearer than walking through the crowd. This is actually something street performers deal with far more than hecklers (and be prepared for those too, btw)

2. Many places now DO require a permit in fact. If you are in a town square and you are performing, then it is a better bet to call city/town hall and ask. Sometimes you can perform in front of businesses with their permission and bypass the permit. I have done that a couple times. Catch on the permits, sometimes they cost money (an application fee) and sometimes there are age limits attached to them as well. On the busking board I am on we are finding that these are more and more common occurrances.

There is alot to busking (street performing) other than simply setting up on a corner and doing your thing. Sometimes there are noise ordinances that dictate how loud your music can be. You get hecklers who can be down right mean. You get people who cut you off. There are times you get nothing for the work. Unless you have excellent people skills and a really great put together show, I agree with whomever said it before and would suggest park performing instead of the town square.

In parks there is more leniancy I find. People gather and watch, sometimes offer you money. Permits are not ***usually*** needed (check first) and truthfully you can get away without a put together show because you can always fall back on the innocent "I was just practicing" reason. Noise ordinances are not usually an issue either. They are just a much easier and better way to enter into this. If you find it suits you and that you do well with the people and such, then take the steps to graduate up to street performance.

My humble opinion. Best of luck to you.
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Yeah the park's the best place for us guys too... plus no-one has a big enough garden in the nearest town so it's the only place we can spin without setting light to fences... no-one's complained yet but *touch wood*
And people will walk into you more with glowsticks and practice poi, even under UV light.... stupid girl.

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I wouldn't bother taping the area off, people are smart enough not to walk right in to you

obviously never been to england and experienced townies who've had a bit too much white lightening rolleyes

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
You know I havnt seen or really heard of any busking acts since I left Oz. I would really like to see em if anyone knows of any in my area.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't bother taping the area off, people are smart enough not to walk right in to you

obviously never been to england and experienced townies who've had a bit too much white lightening rolleyes

ubblol so true....

on the bright side, they might be willing to lay on the ground while you spin overtop of them eek

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**