RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I couldn't find a post about this when i searched but i might have missed one...

Tonight i was practicing some new moves with a pair of white LED glowstix when they accidently collided and one of them shattered! Thus having been left with one broken and one fine LED i decided to break the remaining tubes off and spin with juss the LEDs. This gives a whole new look to spinning!

As you spin the way the leds were left created small white trails with that looked like fat little glowsticks and the led created a spotlight effect which trailed around the entire room i think this would look really good in fog. Also buzzsaws and small corkscrews that don't go over your head were really enhanced
by this because the spotlight effect would trace along your body arms and face.

Has anyone else spun with juss bare leds before I just thought it looked really neat and thought i would post this peace

Peace, Love, Circles

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the problem is lack of diffusion. Most LEDs have a small angle at which they are bright, then a small angle at which they are visible, then the rest they don't show up at all. It's not a concrete rule, but generally when you're buying LEDs, the brighter they are, the smaller the visible angle. The point of having them in something like a tube is that they light up the tube, which then reflects/refracts the light out in all directions. I have some photos online of spinning with 4 really high intensity (almost blinding) LEDs, and they really do come out crap - because you're never likely to have more than one LED showing. Of course fog acts as a diffuser, but other than standing in a smoke filled club, when is that likely to ever happen?

Anyway, photos:

https://photos.offline.org.uk/showgallery.php?galleryid=32

Compare them to electroglo, which only have one LED, but in a tube:

https://photos.offline.org.uk/showgallery.php?galleryid=41

Compare this to aerotech, still just LEDs, but in a stupidly expensive tube with onboard PIC processor:

https://photos.offline.org.uk/showgallery.php?galleryid=123&page=5

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
The way these LEDs are there is a smaller diffuser on the end but the effect i like it the beam of light that comes out of the end of the end. it really gives a good look to short string moves. I wish i had a camera cause the way these broken led sticks look is really strange

Peace, Love, Circles

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The way these LEDs are there is a smaller diffuser on the end but the effect i like it the beam of light that comes out of the end of the end. it really gives a good look to short string moves. I wish i had a camera cause the way these broken led sticks look is really strange

Flid is right about the diffusion, I make various types of home made LED poi and generally use some form of diffusion.

However, using bare LEDs does give a nice effect when spinning in a small dark dark room, they throw interesting patterns on the walls.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!