Forums > Social Chat > losing your fire virginity

Login/Join to Participate

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
I was just reading the fire/glowsticks thread, and came upon somebody, i can't remember who, i apologise, who said that they were going to light their poi a year after first starting to spin.I found myself stunned at their self-control, i started spinning in january, receiving my poi in the post from lovely malcolm on the 7th, and lit them on thursday 31 jan. I remember it specifically. I carried them round, the poi, practicing in secluded areas of parks and stuff, mastering the good old 5beat weave, or trying, and that night i was on my way to a gig, down the main shopping sreet in dublin, when i happened upon a delightful yound juggler name of cormac.I watched him juggle with fire in awe, and in the break in his set i went up to him to ask about how you get permission to spin in such a blatantly dangerous area, late night shopping etc. (Oh how naieve i was...)So he goes.."just light them".So i did. My first time ever, amid literally thousands of shoppers, in a tshirt and pale jeans, in the freezing cold, and it was just the best. The adrenaline, the excitement, theinability to stop.I was an hour and a half late for the gig, but my god, so worth it.*Incidentally i did not mess up my routine once, and hence avoided any horrific injuries, and we were not stopped by the friendly police, who stopped to watch our completely illegal display*I would love love love to know about anybody else's first time!I must admit that i have only spun twice since, due to awful foot injuries. sadly, i find that fire and crutches do not mix.but my advice is- buy a fire extinguisher and LIGHT THEM RIGHT NOW!!!!!throw caution to the wind!! (well, sort of, don't get too burned)

...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
hey, ravinglunatic...where are you from? if youre form upstate new york or even any of the states nearby id love to hang out and have a chat sometime...(i kinda shy away from deep deep emails, its just kinda impersonal..i dunno...) lemme knowand yes ---why do so many awesome badns make shit records as soon as they break the top 100 list?!?!i'd love to know!!

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
oh crap sorry i replied to the WRONG THREAD HERE!!!im losing my internet virginity right now i guess ....i lost my fire vrginity in barcelona...it was a nice clear night and this australian girl i met at the youth hostel went with me and we stood on the little grassy median in the middle of traffic and she let me use her clubs...so fun!------------------excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
hey halfabike, sadly, i live in ireland. beside england, but hey, I've been to barcelona, i actually think i might know the hostel you're talking about!There are hardly any spinners i know in dublin, just the odd juggler, staffer, someone should organise a big conference... maybe i will, a worldwide one.It's half past midnight here, I've just sent my dad out to a 24 hour garage to look for fuel.Aaaaaaaahhhhhh, the joys of being totally fire-mad, can anyone tell me, does this wear off, or am i destined to do no study and hence fail to graduate, or get into university.gah.damn their hypnotic... ways.

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
Went to fire two or three days after starting with glow sticks. Silly me. I had a solid 3-beat weave, backward 2-beat weave, corkscrew, and some simple turns. Nothing else.Don't regret it for a second. what an amazing time. 4 minutes of sheer ecstasy. Still is for me, every time I light up. smile-829ps halfabike - try the "meet others" section and you'll find several people in upstate NY, like me, for example... smile

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
i just finished making my own fire poi this evening... soon they will be ignited!! I def. can't wait.Matt------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
god, ive been doing it for over a year now, and i still havent lit up...mostly because of my parents, but i guess also so i could actually be good when i did lilght up...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
I've been doing poi for around 2 months now, and i first lit up a couple of weeks ago. I must say, it was probibly the most amazing experience of my life!!! I love doing it now, and i try spin whenever i can, but lately i've just had too much work to do, so i haven't had time. frown Oh well, next weekend here we come!!! grinPeace out ya'll------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The first time I ever came into contact with poi they were lit. It was the most exilerating experience, I was so scared 'cause I didn't know how to do anything, I did a messy crossover, and that was it! Then I started to teach myself, and I can't get enough!!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
First time I ever saw anyone else swinging was the time I taught my friend... frown THEN I saw CoL2 grin

Kendermember
33 posts

Posted:
Losing your fire virginity is like losing your sexual virginity; you never forget the first time & it gets better with practice (hopefully) wink. I was having a party with about 30 of my friends when I lost mine. I had practiced with non-fire poi for about 4 months before I lit up. Now I cant hardly pratice without lighting them (or at least wanting to light them!)-=Kender=----------Live like there's no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Bebhinn. Good to hear it went well, a short word of caution though...If you are using fire in public surrounded by one person or thousands and you happen to burn yourself, everyone will rush in to try and help you and hurt themselves in the process. Especially if you get tangled and you don't have an experienced safety.Needless to say, what you did idn't illegal, but if members of the public (or possibly yourself) get hurt, it may quickly become illegal by the local authorities.Just something to keep in mind...PS Cormac is over here in Auckland, New Zealand at the moment. There's a going away party for him in the next few days, so I think he is going back to Ireland.I've got his email address somewhere if you want to stay in touch...Cheers (and play safely everyone) ------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
ahhh...the first burn.....the first time i ever lit up i was with my troupe at a rehersal and i had been working glowstix for about 3 weeks and spinning unlit for about 8. my boss walked up to me and took my poi from me and dropped them in the fuel and said to just wait. about five minuets later she lit me up for the first time. it was the most amazing experience of my short life and i will never forget it. since then i have tried as best i can to learn every tool of fire manipulation i can and as of now i am one of the most fanatical pyros in the world( i try to be anyway ;-)). now i cant even listen to the raido without taking every song i hear and thinking ''could i spin/blow/eat fire to that song''. it is a great feeling and i hope it never goes away.my only advice to first timers is to have another person there with a wet towel, a fire extinguisher, and a viedo camera to make sure you dont go up in flames. this is a must for any first time spinner/blower in my opinion, especialy if you are doing it in a public area(in this case you really should have two people, one with the towel ect. and one to keep the crowd at a safe distance) or in a place with alot of fire dangers like an open, dry field. but other than that....have fun and dont burn ur butt!jokker------------------'' not all who wander are lost'' J.R.R. Tolkien'' its better to burn out...then to fade away'' Def Leppard

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Would spinning on the beach in San Diego be considered illegal? I talked to the Fire department and they said it was cuz there's some people that would walk right up to you and put their hands on the Fire. But you also aren't legally alowed to block off an area in a public space.(I'm thinking... who the heck would stick their hands in the spinning area??? :/ )

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
The same people who would ask you if it was real fire...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Kinudin, people will do it. They'll walk right up to you to ask you if it's real fire or just to say, 'Wow, them thingies are cool!'. People can be silly, and others suffer because of it frown

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Ah ha! Another Irish person!I first lit up the day my first chains arrived in the post...and I feel that I was right to do it now (I had been practicing with 2 pairs of socks on the ends of shoelaces for a week before hand however), but perhaps a little stupid safety wise. Perhaps if I hadn't done it I would have lost motivation...but once the fire was going I was totally addicted.Anyway always nice to see morer Irish people.Later laterRonan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

super poopermember
4 posts

Posted:
AHHHH I CANT WAIT!!! Im saving up my money and once i get $40 im ordering my fire poi set from this sight axually (HE HE). I've been spiining tennis balls on shoe strings for almost 2 mounths now and im bored with it is want the FIRE!!! Its going to be so kool i have 2 friends going with me to do it too and they have already done but they dont have any fire poi. I cant wait!!!

DJ Poimember
4 posts

Posted:
I JUST SPUT FIRE!Yup, just tonight I spun fire for the first time. I wasn't planning on it either, it just happened...I was out having cocktails with my girlfriend and when we left the bar I we came out into a large square in town where some people were doing staff and sword twirling, all lit. I went over and asked if they used Poi, and the guy nods and grabs me a set. He said that if I could handle them ok unlit we could move to fire.I did a few basic moves (Butterfly, 5 beat weave, onehanded butterfly etc...) and he laughed, said I was better than him, and lit me up.GOD IT WAS AMAZING!!!!! I won't forget that feeling in a hurry.The crackle as the fire zoomed past was a thrill, and I managed to spin for 10 min with only two small black sooty marks on my arm to show for it. I am still buzzing with excitment... I can't wait to the next time... they said they spin there every friday night so I will make regular trips down to spin with them.

--I refuse to have a signature.

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Hello all, I have been reading the discussions for some time, but finally decided to post tonight. The first time I lit up was in the parking lots of some apartments near my school. I learned poi from a friend of mine for about 2 months before I finally got the courage to light up. And ya know what? I LOVED IT!!! I'm now addicted, recently built my first set of poi from random bits of junk lying around and some kevlar wick, and playing with fire once or twice a week.I'm looking for anyone who I don't already know that lives in the Salem Oregon area (or even Portland) who follows the ways of the fire arts. I'd love to hear from ya!

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I just lost my glow virginity!!! winkSomeone had to say it eventually....I found some glowsticks to spin the other night, orange & green, v. pretty. It was actually quite serene..R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FireInkmember
1 post

Posted:
We lost our fire virginity at a BBQ we had last year. A friend of a friend brought them along and we were hypnotised.Full of dutch courage (eg. booze) we lit up straight away. An awesome experience.Woke up the next day with a massive hangover and covered in black streaks. Whole room stank of kero which did not help.BUT the girl had left her poi's at our house so we used them as a model to make our own sets. Now we're just practicing and trying to master some of the more difficult moves, but would love to perform eventuallyOnly performance to date: Teaching my 50-something parents and their friends the basics of poi on new years eve. (Yes aren't we exciting!!). Hysterical.

Butterflymember
21 posts

Posted:
hey everyone ....this is my first post, i've been wandering around this site for a few weeks now....i saw this thread and couldn't resist it! losing your fire virginity....what an experience it is smile sadly mine is not as exciting as some, but it was special all the same. a friend of mine had recently started twirlin and since i had been eager to learn for like a year, she let me borrow her staff. it was quite long, coz she's tall, so it took a few practices for me to get used to it. i'd never done any twirling before at all, but i lit up that night because i was so eager, you know how it is smile it was amazing. just holding the staff in my hand watching the fire dance about. i just did figure 8's and circular movements, nothing spesh, but i was awed at the sound it made! i had no idea, completely clueless, and it just blew me away. that was a year ago, and i have come a long way since then, but i've never forgotten how incredible it was and how it made me feel. it was the same with my poi, to. so that's my tale.this place is awesome....you're all are such lovely people! peace.....

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
mmmm. 1st staff experience - in friends back garden; NO FEAR.1st poi flamage (a few years later) on a camp site. Absolutely terrifying - most of the campsite ended up gathering round and I burnt myself a fringe in! Ended up running down the road for my mirror thinking Id burnt a massive whole in my hair!The thing with not knowing much about fire toys when you first light up is - its usually dangerous!

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
im goin to lite up this summer (june prob) ive onlybeen spinning wit gsticks for bout 8 months, and i am content to sit the winter out( spinning on a beach in t shirt and jeans in mid winter just doesnt apeal to me).------------------Just a Thought... Ignore it if you wish...

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I remember my first time. I couldn't do more than a three beat turning weave (i didn't even know a backwards weave, even though I must have almost been doing it, I just didn't know I was doing it). I was so nervouse, and I was wearing SAFETY GOGGLES!!! I took my chains (with steels weights on both ends), tied a sock to the end and poured gasoline on them....yea, we didn't know any better back then, having never seen anybody else twirl fire befor... It was such a rush! I had been twirling for several weeks when I lit up, and it was scary, but exilerating also. I think as long as you stick to the moves you know, then you can light up whenever you get the courage.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Alas I am still a fire virgin!!Being an ever so poor and rather busy student I have yet to experience the forst time experience of lighting up, purely because I can not budget enough money to cover the cost - every time I think I'm there my car packs up and I have to fork out oodles of cash to fix that leaving m in the poor predicament I'm becoming so accustomed to.Although I did my first little show yesterday - Just for a few of the teens in the youth group I run, that caused quite a stir. It was just with beamer, but there were some what impressed with the colorful circles - can't wait til my tin bucket of an engine last out long enough for me to impress them with fire!e*

super poopermember
4 posts

Posted:
AAAHHHHH I LOVED IT!!! YESTERDAY I LOST MY FIRE VIRGINITY AND ITS SO F-ING AWSOME, I MADE THE POIS MYSELF TOO BUT I NEED TO GET SOME KEVLAR WICKS. I LOVED IT I DID IT ONCE YESTERDAY NIGHT AND TWICE TODAY AND IM DOING IT AGAIN TOMARROW AND ON FRIDAY A BUNCH OF PEOPLE ARE GETTING TOGETHER TO DO IT ITS GOING TO BE GREAT LATER!!

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
wow, can't believe that thread continued on!great to hear from new people like myself, but i'd love to hear from someone that started ages agoo... and have kept it up------------------...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
How long ago is ages ago bebhinn? Pele's been spinning fire for a while, as has Charles, and a good many others round here. I myself haven't really been spinning that long.I remember the first time I lit up. I was really nervous (a factor that wasn't helped by my asking my dad to spot for me. It's one of those things you should never ask a close relative to do. Like teaching you to drive).So worried I was going to burn myself (with dad standing the tutting at me) Never did though. Never do. But then I'm careful and only do stuff lit that I know I can confidently do forwards and backwards, without too much thought, unlit.

Meh