Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Inverted fishtails?(Now with 100% more pictures!)

Login/Join to Participate

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
When you do a Normal forward fishtail in your right hand, starting on your right, to move the staff over to the other side you kind of hook your hand around the frout of the staff and push it over. Instead of pushing it across, let it come around under your arm again, like an inverted poi move... you turn around and cary the staff across on your fore arm, it rolls out, and you can normal fishtail back across to the right to do it again...

You can also do the other side of this move instead of the normal fishtail back... It's been done, but i'm not sure how to describe it... lots of body twist and getting in under the staff.

Random staff thoughts for christmas day...

--Ben

Oh, and a random contact combo:- right hand, wall plane, clockwise.

wrist, elbow sliding to shoulder, sliding to right thigh down the side of your body, calf (behind you), to foot stall (in front of you). Reverse that without reversing gravity! Might be in glass' contact vid, but i cant find it to see if it has a name.

Happy yule-type period everyone, happy birthday me, i'm mildly pissed and goodn... (thud).

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Forward BTB Fishtails. So easy once you can invert. Reach around the side of the staff, like you would for an inverted stall or inverted fishtail, and when it gets vertical, simply carry the staff behind you instead of in front. And back again. It just happens, honest, and it's worked every time... you can turn around and be in normal reverse fishtail, uninvert to normal btb forwards fishtail... Fun.

Oh, and another bonus move: Full contact fountain. but it needs a video, i'm not sure exactly what it is i'm doing yet... Basicly, in the wall plane, right hand, reverse fishtail to behind you, let the staff come onto your elbow, reach around again to take the staff on your wrist, bring it down to a forwards fishtail back in front of you.

--Ben

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

When you do a Normal forward fishtail in your right hand, starting on your right, to move the staff over to the other side you kind of hook your hand around the frout of the staff and push it over. Instead of pushing it across, let it come around under your arm again, like an inverted poi move... you turn around and cary the staff across on your fore arm, it rolls out, and you can normal fishtail back across to the right to do it again...

so if im doing the fishtail on the right side of my body when u say let it let it come around under your arm again would the staff be infront of me or behind me? like when u let it come around under your arm again do u stop the fishtail movement or just do it offset from where u normally would?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
off set it. the end of the staff that would normally go to the left side stays on the right, and you end up with your arm over the staff. then you let the other end cross to the left instead, and back. You end up with a fishtail done between your arm and your body. i'll try and draw a picture this evening if it'll help...

--Ben

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
a picture would definately help which way do u step clockwise or counter clockwise?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

staff ends are labeled 1 and 2 (hopefully) to aid clarity.

Normal forward fishtail (for reference) a,b,c,d

a: start with staff horizontal, center furthur away from your hand.

b: staff spins forwards and stands up vertical, reach your hand around the staff

c: push the staff over to the other side of your body, let the staff roll 90' onto the back of your hand, horizontal

d: as the staff stands up vertical again, reach around the staff so it's on the back of your hand again, and push the staff across, back to picture a.

Inverted fishtail.

do position a and b. Instead of proceding to picture c, go to picture e.

e: the staff horizontal, under your arm.

f: the staff stands up vertical behind your bicep

g: turn your body into position g. the staff should not rotate between these positions. end 2 should always go up on the other side of your body to the arm holding it.

h: the staff comes back to horizontal, still under your arm

i: let the staff stand up vertical again. from here you can let the staff roll over your hand back into picture c, or

h: push the staff back to picture b, without letting it rotate. end 1 should always go up on the same side of your body as the hand controlling it.

Escaping to position c is the move i described in the first post, and pushing back to position b is a fully inverted one.

Another useful escape: When in position f, let the staff roll up to your bicep and straighten your arm. You can feel a point where the staff locks between your wrist and forearm. if you drop your shoulder and twist your wrist to push the staff forwards, rather than using the lock and reversing the direction, the staff rolls up over your forearm and into position a, without ever changing sides of your body. If you roll the staff forwards over your bicep or shoulder, you can catch the staff in position b and go straight into this escape.

Which also works in reverse, which is that wrist-elbow-back of the hand odd fishtail-back to wrist move i mentioned in another thread...

Hope this helps...

--Ben

(edited for new picture)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
cool thanx for the pic it helps heapsi shall definately have to practise that one