Forums > Social Chat > Jaw dropping to the floor....

Login/Join to Participate

SpindarellaBellamember
1 post

Posted:
Please forgive me if I sound corny but this site is totally amazing to me right now. I was actually looking for tribal butterfly tattoos in Google.com’s search engine and this site came up in the list. So of course I click onto it expecting to find butterflies and to my surprise I find something other than that; Something rather interesting to me. I DO THIS STUFF!!! I’ve been doing it for the past 5 years. I never knew it was called POI though. Never even heard of the word. We here in NYC call it spinning (at least everyone I know calls it that). Hell, I never expected to stump across a website either. Anyway, I use to frequent clubs on a weekly basis and the first time I saw it done it totally sparked my interest. Went home, got some glowstix and strings and started “Poiing” lol (still can’t get use to the word) I beat the hell outta myself but that didn’t stop me. I just kept on and on until I finally got really good at it. In matter of fact, I met my fiancé (now ex-fiancé) by doing it. There use to be other girls in the clubs doing it too but as soon as I stepped into the circle, they never came back. I blew them away… and most of the guys away too. My ex was amazing at it as well. We got so good at it that clubs all over NYC hired us for parties and shows and we’d get paid lovely… just for doing what we did for fun. We even came up with synchronized routines. It was pretty difficult because we both had different styles. See, I absolutely love to dance and I add that in while I Spin, Poi – lol. It just makes it look all the more better along with attitude! My ex basically B-Bopps in one spot but he is sooo ill. No one could do half the stuff he did. But the synchronized routines were just way too cool. We’d watch ourselves on video and just couldn’t believe what we could do. It was great. Now we work for a few DJ companies and 99.9% of the guests at these parties are just simply amazed. Jaws dropping to the floor, oohhss and aahhss from all over the place. I’m sure most of you guys experienced this already. It’s just a great feeling knowing that YOU are the center of attention and knowing that YOU are the main source of entertainment. Yeah sometimes I sweat myself – lol. I can’t help it. The show looks so great and I look great doing it. I got the moves and I’m swavv. I got this hip thing going on that people say is my mark while I POI (still can’t get over the word, sorry – lol) My friends chanting “Go Spin, Go Spin or Spin Spin Shuga” just gets me crazy and I go all out. I did it in Central Park once – Biggest park in NYC. It was in the middle of the summer, I had on my daisy dukes (riding up the crack of you’re a$$ and butt cheek showing shorts) with a tube top and I was on my roller blades. I spun with fire for the first time and people from all over the park came and watched. But the show didn’t end there. As I was Poiing, skating and dancing all over the place my tube top slipped off and gave everyone a free peep show – lol. Now half of NYC knows I have nipple clamps – lol Oh My…Now you guys know too – lol. If you’d ever meet me you would never think I do any of this stuff. I wear a business suit 5 days a week and deal with executive a-holes all the time. I broke out with the glowstix at last years Christmas party and now everyone calls me “The Glow-Girl” lol. Anyway, sorry I chewed your eyes out by reading this long a$$ post. Probably won’t happen again. I usually don’t talk so dam much. I guess I got myself some new buddies now. Talk to you guys soon!PSI had no idea what-so-ever that so many people do this. WE ROCK! lol~Ssspindelicious~

SpindarellaBella

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
Don't worry my eyes are fine. I skipped half of it until the end. I tend to get bored quickly. Welcome to the site though

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Now that is an introduction. coolYou're welcome to continue calling it spinning. I use spin poi. There are a variety of toys on this site and I know I enjoy seeing all of them used. From staffs, glow sticks, to fire wicks. Lotsa stuff here.Welcome to the group.note to everyone else, I know we normally aim the newbies towards the Intro thread, but this is an amazing self-intro. So much so that I'm not going to say, well, you know. grin------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
if i start posting about MY clothes falling off, will my threads never get shut down too? winki say point.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I say word to rex re: point...Here rex, here's a gift for ya:Hey SpindarellaBella, where do ya'll spin and what tribe do you spin with? Do I know you? Williamsburg? Flambe? 1337? Madegascar?(If that didn't get it killed, I'm gettin naked too.)[This message has been edited by NYC (edited 14 February 2002).]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
welcome to the new world. ihad the same experience. had no idea that i would ever find a place like this to learn from and talk about it, then one day i came upon this place and viola...

anyone got a light?

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
And then next thing you know, you have two Australian Hippy fire-twirlers rock up on your door step. Right Pozee winkWelcome to the site SpindarellaBella, I hope you get as much out of it as we all have. grin------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
May i recomend 'meet others' if you haven't already, cos there seems to be a lot of people from NY on the site. Not me tho.https://www.homeofpoi.com/meetothers.htm

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Welcome to hel... err Home of Poi winkThere's alot of people from NYC here, (see NYC heh) I personally don't live there but well anyway.Sweet introduction and welcome to HoP!Kinudin

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Word up Spinderella! It took me 2 years to find out that this many people practiced this amazing art! And even though I know very well that they are out there, I still haven't met anyone face to face that can pull as many different licks without a break as me. There have been a few that I have seen on video, but I can do almost all of that and more now, too. This is an open invitation to anyone to come and visit and show me up! I am poi-sponge, hear me babble!------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

693 posts

Posted:
Hey you talking about fire? Or those little glow things?Try it with fire, see how long you spin for, unless you are ultra fit, buff and full of strength then you wont be able to spin for hours and hours and hours, espeically if you have heavy poi ala Dangerboys ( smile )...Anyway sorry my fire-snobbery comes out every now and then, I shall put it away again....Anyway mr. Glowshow, you gonna send a video in then to show us your trix....try and show the lovely, sexy, sassy sagey up? grin------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 14 February 2002).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oops, I'd better stop spinning now then. I don't want any Australian hippy firespinners turning up on my doorstep wink (not unless they're prepared to do so with beer, chocolate and/or put one of my paintings up in their house).Tom, will you kindly take your meet other section and sod off? The helpfulness of the suggestion is completely outweighed by the fact that you suggest it in every flippin' thread. Keep posting by all means but get a new script.Sorry for ranting but it's 3.45am and work isn't going so well.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 14 February 2002).]

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
daisy dukes ...mmm
Non-Https Image Link

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Howdy doody diddly...I'm not a fan of saying I "poi" or using "poiing" - I'd go for "Spin Poi" and then explain it as fire twirling. It's quite impressive the amount of people you tell you do poi to, get a blank look, explain and then they tell you that they do it too.This isn't meant to be insulting (But it might be...) but howcome alot of New Yorkers seem very good at blowing their own trumpet about their poi skills? First off we had Raversurge and his mates telling us how good they are, now SpindarellaBella is saying she's good. Is it just the Brits are too modest smile Obviously this is just my view. Not all of you are bad, NYC is a top bloke as are others from New York but they do seem to *ahem* "Big themselves up" somewwhat.Hang on, that sounds mean... er have lots of smilies to make it better smile smile smileWelcome to the sight BTW. Ignore me I'm waffling.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
That is in need an introduction!Welcome to a web site populated by insane monsters from across the globe who all share a love of spinning and bad jokes wink However we still remain split over the issue of whether Marmite is the food of God, or the dog winkDurbs - Man, I'm good! I'm a Brit (well, half), and I rock! I'll show all the colonies how it should be done! I da man! Anyway, hope that helps balance things up on this side of the pond wink

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the HoP community Spindarella with an intro like that we'll be needin' a pic for the Mug SHot Gallery thread (Daisy Dukes an' all!!) winkM:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Hey there Spin, welcome to The Place Where Things Happen.Did you write that all in one go or did you have to break for wrist stretches? smileOoooh, incidently, I saw the post, thought (gah, long-ness... overpowering...) and then my male hind-brain kicked in, grabbed my eyeballs by the lapels and shoved the words "nipple-clamps" in my face.I read it, in the end.::realises he hasn't spun poi in, oooh, hours:::Bye!J------------------"If you love someone, set them free.If you love something, fill it with cream.Then set it on fire."

Posh ravers wear ties.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...getting a wee confrontational (I can see why)?Durbs...please, lovie, sweetie, dearheart, when you say New Yorkers blowing their own trumpets can you make sure you refer to the city dwellers? While I am inclined to agree with you, I also want to add that I live in New York, am even concidered a New Yorker, but I live over a 7 hour drive from the city!!! (It's a state too ya know! wink)I will be the first to say that I am not the best anything, and that my spinning abilities have a loooooong way to go!Thanks for the clarification! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
grin at -Dom- I think it's funny when Brits refer to the US as "the Colonies."And I wanted to point out that Pele usually understates her abilities. I think she is quite good at spinning poi and wanted to mention it. All I need now is to get a vid camera and put some vids onto our website. Anyone have $800 I can have?I would also like to take a minute and say that I am totally awesome at poi and would blow everyone away with my abilities. smile j/k. For those who don't know, the most I've spun poi is to spin off the fuel for Pele during a show.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Katinca, I will surely do so. Already have a couple videos that I have taped for the purpose of promotion. I don't know about showing up Sage, she rocks, but I will have my piece to say.
quote:
And even though I know very well that they are out there, I still haven't met anyone face to face that can pull as many different licks without a break as me. There have been a few that I have seen on video,
Didn't say I was the best. Not nearly so! Just the best I've met. The invitation is still open. I am an excelent host, and not nearly as much of a smartass as I know I sound sometimes.And it is quite possible to spin fire poi or poi weighted similarly if you have been spinning for a while. Just using the muscles on a regular basis is enough to work them out. The first time I ever actually spun fire, I did it with the new, unsoaked wicks (BIG towel ones) for about 3 hours, then spun them soaked and lit for another 2 1/2. Now, you might find it hard to spin something that heavy to 135bpm! But that's a different story. I have actually been practicing with a fresh set of wicks for so long now, that I have to use at least 2 glowstix on each string, just to keep from going light speed.------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---[This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 15 February 2002).]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey, I ain't never blowed my trumpet nor bigged myself up... whatever the heck that means. I don't represent NYC or Brooklyn or America. I'm just me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
to back NYC up, i can rarely think of times when ive heard him even talk about himself twirling...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Are there trumpets? No one mentioned nuffink about trumpets. Are they required in order to post on here. I do wish people would keep me up to date with this kind of stuff.I've been away for a while can I borrow someone's notes so I can catch up? Is it ok if i hire a trumpet or do I have to buy my own?------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I have a trombone.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
What an intriging thread!An awesome intro is followed by several important ideas that arent mentioned that much here:Cantus,I totally agree with you when you quip:"will you kindly take your meet other section and sod off? The helpfulness of the suggestion is completely outweighed by the fact that you suggest it in every flippin' thread. Keep posting by all means but get a new script."I know those people are trying to help, but i just keep thinking of Brainy Smurf when people parrot these 'suggestions'and Durbs, when you say "howcome alot of New Yorkers seem very good at blowing their own trumpet about their poi skills? First off we had Raversurge and his mates telling us how good they are, now SpindarellaBella is saying she's good. Is it just the Brits are too modest Obviously this is just my view. "It's not just YOUR view! =)Where I am, I get soooo many bunnies that brag about how they can do evey trick they've seen. Ah geeze the BEST twirlers *DO* have skill but in my book that aint all. I have never seen Malcolm twirl, but his support of the online twirling community makes him a phat cat in my books. I am just blessed that there are many individuals like that in the local scene.And one last rant - this points system is the work of the devil.------------------"He shall know your ways as if born to them"-Fremen prophecy

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Cool Bendy grin so do I! Hehe haven't played it in a whlie though =/

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
hell yeah...another person from brooklyN!!!

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have a bodhran

Meh

693 posts

Posted:
C@ntus is that a stringed instrument from Africa that is a little like a guitar but you play it by hitting it with a stick?Its made out of a gourde isn't it??*Please note I could be totally wrong here*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 15 February 2002).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
A bodhran is a Celtic-drum-thingyThis is how you can make one smileI **really** want a Pan (Jamaican steel drum) those things are the coolest!