Forums > Social Chat > What do you all think of this (please check this out)

Login/Join to Participate

Aethermember

Posted:
OK, here's the deal... I'm a raver, I've been raving for a long time now... I do mostly liquid dance and qlowstix, but I've been wanting to start glowstringing lately too. Well, I've spent maybe the last six months or so looking for websites that teach qlowstick moves and patterns, or how to liquid dance, and I have found virtually nothing. (one or two poor sites, with the exception of this one). So here's my idea. I'm thinking of putting together a website myself dedicated to giving full instructions on how to liquid and glowstick for all the people out there who want to learn -- pretty much spit our everything I've learned over the last 6 years or so. But I know it would take alot of time, so I want some feedback -- would you guys be interested in this site? What do you want? vidoes? photos? How much detail should it go into? etc,etc... if I ever start it I will be THRILLED to recieve some help from other ravers, stickers and stringers... I think that it would be really cool if anyone could email tutorials or little explanations on moves they have made up, or hints, or experiences or anything, which could be posted to the site and organized... It could get big, this could be really cool. Or it could be really lame and totally flop. So I want some feedback, what do you all think of that? Thanx alot...PS oh yeah and I'm posting this same thing at a few other sites tooYou can Email me at Aether@Inorbit.com

Silly kids, trips are for rabbits!!

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
At the risk of sounding terribly ignorant and all: what is liquid dancing?------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
*giggle*I was wondering too! smile

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
I'm curious about it too?

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
to find out what liquid dancing is have a look at the Glowstricks topic in this BB - it's a form of dancing with glowsticks in your hands and make them flow really smoothly, one following the other...Aether - i think that is a BRILLIANT idea; i searched and searched the web but couldn't find any sites (only a couple but not anything major)....i want to learn liquid dancing but so far i've been trying to figure it out alone! as for glowstringing i can help a bit wink...please keep us posted, again i think it's a great idea,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmmm, to my understanding, liquid doesn't involved glowsticks. Glowsticks is another thing. The kids I've seen liquid use white gloves and hold nothing. It's basis, from what I see, is old school break dance moves. It features creating a flow of your arms while keeping your finger tips in close together but not touching. Well, I don't know that much about it, but from what I've seen it's way cool. And different from dancing with glowsticks in your hands and spinning glowsticks. Aether, yeah, go for it!Diana

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
thanx for the correction Diana - i don't know much about it myself, just doing my own thing i guess and trying to gather as much info as possible... i know it's done with white gloves too but i thought that it's now done with glowsticks too - at least i do it after watching some guys doing it with glowsticks!!! grin - you can still hold the glowsticks and have your fingers close but not touching in anycase and perform the same moves - i think that i am doing a bit of everything though since i throw in figure 8s and weaves wink etc; as long as it looks good, who cares about anything else, that's what i say! smilehappy swinging,Simos

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
Aether,go for it! i'd definitely like to check it out. i think photos are necessary, videos are ideal(like malcolm's lessons on this site), and diagrams would work too. i think it'd be easier to draw out ideal movements for glowsticks than poi. so when/if you ever get it up, let us know! if i knew much about it, i'd be happy to help, but i don't, so, best of luck!-heph

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
i think that page would be a really big success. there are a lot of people who are interested in that kind of stuff. i know i would check it out. It would be good if you had a good share of description, but also pictures and videos, because word descriptions of moves can be really difficult to understand. That would be neat.Also, liquid can be done with either glowsticks or without. It looks really nice with nothing, but i do it with glowsticks all the time. it is hard to make wave look good with sticks, but when it is good, it looks really good. Ive heard that a lot of people just use white gloves also, but i like doing all my stuff with glowsticks, including liquid.Well, maybe the wave isnt *supposed* to be done with glowsticks, but i use em anyway, and so do quite a few other people, and it looks good.Hapes-Nova, glowsticker, glowstringer[This message has been edited by Hapes-Nova (edited 03 February 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Speaking as a devoted raver who has spent countless hours mastering both liquid and twirling, I can say without a doubt that liquid is equally if not more difficult to master then strings. But is well worth the patience I think the website would be a great idea.Ps. I live in Denver and feel I have learned All I can from twirling at parties. I feel it is time to move on to the real thing -fire- if you also live in the Denver area and are willing to chill with me and teach me the subtleties of fire please e-mail me at armar@plinet.com PeaceRAVEn

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Aether - I have also been scouring the net for instructions on how to glowstick/liquid and found NOTHING. If you created a page it would be greatly appreciated by myself and many others, and almost a garuanteed success. It would be the only glowstick page on the net. You could contact companies that sell glowsticks and maybe they would pay you to put their ads on your site.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey,I reckon a glowsticking / liquid site would rock, especially if you had a videos section with short routines submitted by ppl from all over the place (as long as they are good routines of course). It's one thing to learn _a move_ it's another to learn a routine. Personally I reckon having 15 second routines is much better.How is it that you say you have mastered swinging, but you have never tried fire? Sounds a bit paradoxical (or is that an oxy-moron?).out,Josh

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
You don't need to use fire to master spinning, Fire is just an added touch to the spinning, That comes with a bit of insaine risk ( But most of us go for that don't we )

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Overcoming your own fear of being burned by trying difficult tricks with fire poi is part of 'mastering' the technique.If you cant do it with fire - then you havent mastered the move yet. Being able to deal with distraction is part of the mental training.It's like saying you have mastered sword work, without ever using a live blade. and what is this 'mastered twirling' thing anyhow?Perhaps you feel fluid in all the moves you know. There are other techniques out there. I've just been introduced to a girl who is really good at twirling two poi in the same hand. There are a load of 2 poi in one hand tricks...none of which I've ever seen anyone else do.and what about synchronised two person patterns? Surely that requires a higher level of skill than a single person routine..I reckon anyone that says they have mastered twirling, has actually given up trying to improve, and is looking for an excuse to explain why they arent advancing anymore.Do you see any of the great martial arts masters stop training? I dont think so.Josh

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
where would we be with-out glow sticks?(scarry thought)

^_-

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
at the risk of sounding cheesy and horrible, i just wanted to say that i don't like the idea of a liquid dance website. i think it's cool how it can be taught in small circles of friends at raves, so it doesn't become a mainstream (and thus less impressive) thing. i want to learn very badly how to liquid dance, but i dont think the rave culture is something that should be advertised and taken over. i try to learn on my own and from friends, which is how it has been done for years, and i think that's a cool part of raves: not everybody knows how. a website IS a small thing, but we ravers are protective of the scene, y'know? just a minor objection, though. go ahead with it- perhaps i'm being silly smileps- does anyone find liquid MUCH easier after mastering poi?

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...you ravers are protective of the scene??? smile well if i were a raver i would start by not selling the music!!! grin just pulling your leg smile...i just like sharing and think that there is still a selection process involved even if you publish things on the web - this being the actual patience and effort that you have to put into learning it and how interested you truly are in learning it...otherwise the whole world would be able to swing poi since there are already web-sites on the subject...i am a big fan of the web grin and since there isn't a single person that can teach me how to liquid dance where i come from i'd love to have a website as a starting point...everybody develops their personal style anyways... winkhappy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I feel I need to explain my self, When I said I "mastered" swinging I did not mean it literally. I simply meant that I have gone as far as I can with glowsticks and poi. I know and can connect every move on this site, as well as some moves not listed, I also work many numchuck moves into my routine. The only reason I have never used fire is because I have never met someone ( in my area) that twirls fire hence my request for someone in the Denver area who does. I hope this cleared up any confusion. Love to allRave_n

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
true that, simos. i forgot that there are people who have no access to liquid dance whatsoever. it probably would be a good idea then, to have a site for it. you made a good point; i am humbled.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey tekknogurrl smile - i don't know much about liquid myself...it's hard to gather info about it here; i am doing my thing with glowsticks, maybe not exactly liquids but i get good responces from people so i keep developing it...well it's nice to have you around, maybe when you are shown some liquid dancing moves at raves you can share with us unfortunate ones wink hehe i am joking, i can see your point and i think it's so much better being taught by someone rather than an impersonal web-site but here we are doing our best to make it more fun and personal - i've learned how to swing poi solely through this website and so i guess that's one of the reasons i am quite keen to share and help others too; in a way you are just providing them with the info; how they use it is up to them - if they do not truly want to learn they will never learn even if you put every single move on a website! happy swinging,Simos

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
I think a website on liquid/glowsticking would be a wonderful idea; I've really wanted to try it but don't know anybody personally who does it, and it'd be great to have some basis to practice outside/before an event so you wouldn't spend the party frustrating yourself! ^^I can understand ravers trying to stay exclusive but there are lots of people out there without much access to "inner circles" of fellow ravers.I mean, if I hadn't found this site on poi I don't know what I'd do! If I wasn't lucky enough to meet people who do it I'd just go on wishing I could learn without being able to, I guess. That would suck. grin

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
i retract my former statement- you wonderful people have made me see the errors of my ways. thanks for opening me up that little bit more. ya learn something new every day. smile

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
tekknogurrl ROCKS grin yeyyy...

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
I love the idea of beoing able to learn how to do things from the web. however, tekknogurrl is right. If glowsticking and liquid became mainstream, they would be less impressive. simos is right too. some people have no way to learn stuff because there isnt anyway near them that can teach it. Thats why i love poi. At first i wanted to learn how to juggle. than i realized tons of people just at my school could already juggle. They could teach me, but i would always be the pupil and they would always be the master. They would always be better than me. Than i wanted to learn how to perform with a staff, but i found out a couple of kids knew karate and had been trained in the bo staff. they would be better than me. than i found poi. Nobody had ever heard of it, or had any idea what it was or how to do it. Now, of the almost 1000 people at my high school, i am the only one that knows poi. and its all because of the web, this site in particular. I can train myself to perform.conclusion: tons of people i know can juggle, and a couple can peform with staves, but im the only one that knows poi, and its completley because of this website. a liquid website could potentialy make me the only guy in school that can do liquid, as well as the only guy that can do poi. and combining liquid with glowsticks with glowstringing-----excellent performance...

Izabilmember
12 posts

Posted:
E-mail me some of that stuff.
izabil11168@hotmail.com

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by spiffspiff:
They would always be better than me. Than i wanted to learn how to perform with a staff, but i found out a couple of kids knew karate and had been trained in the bo staff. they would be better than me. than i found poi. Nobody had ever heard of it, or had any idea what it was or how to do it. Now, of the almost 1000 people at my high school, i am the only one that knows poi..... a liquid website could potentialy make me the only guy in school that can do liquid, as well as the only guy that can do poi.
There is no wrong motivation to get into firetwirling (or any other funkiness for that matter) although firetwirl to beat everyone or to be exclusive is to put an unnatural constraints on your fun. Will you honestly enjoy it as much if others perform it? or are 'better' technically at it?

Firetwirl as if there is no-one to impress. Then you'll know what ima trying to say.
*hugs to all*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always