Forums > Social Chat > Kato's unofficial confession box.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
As I'm sure all experienced spinners of all things spinnable will agree, a considerable ammount of time (especially in private practice) is spent smacking yourself in places you'd rather not be smacked (and being thankful beyond almighty that nobody was watching), pulling your hair out (in my case, whats left of it) over some stupid move that you can look back on now and think.. 'why was it so hard in the first place' and pulling off the most amazing combo's of moves that an ancient Polinesian warrior would shit himself watching... when there's nobody watching.I would like the purpose of this thread to be a sort of confession box type thing; a place where people can be honest with themselves and share thier worst experiences with the rest of us... who will not laugh... will we ??? ..and hopefully put bruised and over-confident ego's back on track. As the saying goes, 'a problem shared is problem halved'; and seeing as there are at least 20 billion people who visit this site every day.. that will mean you will only have to bear .. uummm... a mere 20 billionth of your original problem.. Seriously though, I think some of us may be a liitle too proud to publicly admit (especially in the presence of a great many newbies) that we all make some of the most horrendous mistakes. Some of the most impressive wipeouts I have seen have been by very experienced dudes (dude'ets less so). Apart from being amusing in most cases, they serve as valuable lessons to all. I will Christen the confession box by admitting that I quite often look around to see what got in the way (post-wipout) when I know deep down there was absolutely nothing in the way.. but only if someone is watching... does that ring any bells with anyone..??? ps: if nobody feels like confessing anything, I will continue to do so to ease my own conscience.------------------Kato

Kato

ThomasRhymermember
3 posts

Posted:
My most embarrassing moment with fire....lessee, that would have to be early last year, only the 3rd or 4th time I ever lit up. I was at a bdsm 'play' party, wearing a cut-up tshirt, my ren fair boots (think Indian-style mocassins) and a pair of 'daisy dukes' - jeans, with most of the legs cut off. And they were unraveling at the bottom - lots of loose strings hanging off.You can see it coming....I set my crotch on fire. Luckily only 250 people were watching, so it wasn't TOO embarrassing. Everybody joked the rest of the night that I was topping myself!

'Do or do not. There is no try.' - Yoda

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
hiya thomas smileseen your name in lights -er no not strictly true seam your pants on fire - at least they weren`t inside out smilei do recognise your name tho` with some of the austin group i think... i`m trying to get the competition ticket for the dessert festi` you have over there - if so it`s only the travel i`ve to find - ooh and parrafin too - burningman i now remember i`m a wombleso i`ll womble offwoowoo swoops smile------------------swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

NoonaBRONZE Member
Cake lover
258 posts

Posted:
I woke up this morning with about ten mystery bruises all over my body...something to do with glowstick twirling at a free party last night.. I think?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Last night I was twirling with glowsticks and the end attached to my handles (I use shoe strings) broke and it went smack into a new car scratching the paint... I just whistled and walked away *shh* dun tell anyone! Luckily no one was watching and it was at about 10 at night so no one was outside too

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
...Still trying to get this BTB weave and one of my beaming poi (no batteries) came up and knocked me in the eye... i'm so happy that I am able to see out of it smile

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
I was about to post one about smacking myself in the eye, but matt got there first,,,also id be surprised if I can still have kids for the amount of times ive inflicted pain upon my boys...Ive accidentally inflicted damage upon other people who were standing too close,,,and have you ever noticed that it hurts like a bitch to hit yourself in the finger?------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i let one of my mates swing my poi about one night when we were in aotea square having some giggles, he swang them real hard, lost control and let both poi go, successfully taking out two skateboarders who were ollieing over the fountain. i seem to recall that on his 21 birthday he wacked himself good and proper in the nuts, dropped like the proverbial sack and didnt move for 10 minutes. but as they say, cant keep a good man down and he soon was swingning them around.......only to let go and see one of them end up on the roof of the function centre. krazzy tongan truckies..........

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
You always know it's going to be tears before bedtime, if your post starts with one of the following:I was really pissed and I thought I....I was so off tap I couldn't see straight but I....I was so fucked that I couldn't move, however thinking I was invincible I......Dear, dear, dear...We have all done it.The only time that I have set myself on fire, and it could have been bad, was when Josh and I were twirling at the beach last summer(?) and I was wearing a polyester skirt, over some pants. I was doing behind the back butterfly and my poi went up my skirt and burnt a huge hole in the arse. I had no idea, as I was quite bent at the time. Until Josh was yelling at me, "Your arse is on fire" and had to run over and pat me out. Even after all the commotion had finished I still was bent enough that it didn't phase me, which I am still trying to work out if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I just took my skirt of and binned it. Nice skirt thou, have to say I do miss it....------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Well Kato, ye know what I say,A problem shared is a problem doubled winkThe worst thing that happened to me when fire twirling was when I just started. I was attempting to do the butterfly and somehow managed to tangle the chains above my head, they them proceeded to fall and bounce off the top of my head, which thank the gods was wearing a hat a friend gave me one time. If it wasn't for that hat I'd be bald and burnt. "I meant to do that......AGGGGHHH!!! WATER!!!"I wear the hat all the time now, even when I'm not spinning.Rónan------------------Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oh Kolong my man (and anyone else with luscious locks)... I feel so sorry for you all.. you see, I dont have that problem... I just dont *have* any hair to burn!!! grin ps: Dries a lot quicker too !!pps: Although I have looked at people with enough hair to do 'interesting' stuff with with a sense of envy... ...sometimes.------------------Kato

Kato

Phyrecatmember
17 posts

Posted:
I was twirling for my best friends eighteenth about a year ago, and was doing really well, lots of oohs and ahhs from the crowd, despite my fairly limited rountine. Right near the end of my performance, I was facing away from the crowd, and as I spun around, I hit one of the guests square in the chest with the end of my staff!! Of course, he had to be wearing a light coloured shirt didn't he? LOL. We're still friends, but he never passes up an opportunity to tell ppl how i nearlly killed hime (NOT!!) with a fire stick smile

There is no better way to teach yourself concentration than learning staff next to a topless female.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
there was this time i was doing my first performance ever in front of a huge crowd (my entire school and there familys)i was smokin i was doing so well until i did the one handed butterrfly *gasp* the cords tangled and i spent the next 2 minutes on stage untangeling them..it was brutal.. everyone was silent like they knew i had screwd up BAD!! luckily i untangeled them and everyone cheered and i kept going as if nothing happened.here is MY confession i was doing a show at an S.C.A event (medieval re-creation) and there was this cocky guy out there saying "oh i can do that" "thats easy"so finally i told him that i wouldnt let him use the fire. (you know cause he might show me up or something) but he could try my beaming poi if he wanted... so he did but he insisted he do it infront of everyone..and he proceeded to sack himself twice in a row. and then he cracked himself in the head.. (i knew the guy pretty well so it was kinda ok) but that is my claim to shame..*hangs head* shame on me. but thats waht he gets for refusing directions *gasp* from a girl!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
as for the flaming hair bit i jsut got extensions!! and they are flame retardant.they look cool too!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
You gave him your beaming poi - that's cruel!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Cruel but really quite funny... in a non-nasty evil kind of way I think.. umm... yeah!! grin ------------------Kato

Kato

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I was talking to a friend last night about embarrasing moments and remembered one that I'll NEVER forget...Stag Works party in Sheffield, UK, late last year.. Mad rave, loads of crazy music loads of crazy peeps; usual scene. I was engaged in a deep Zenny spin for hours on end in the chillout room; nothing unusual.. people standing around watching, smiling, chatting away as they do. Finger pointing and whispering started happening.. nothing too unusual.....until I realised to my horror that I had been flying low without a licence for the past God knows how long. What made it even worse was the fact I was wearing quite loose boxers underneath.. ones that have a habit of popping open at the front..I could have DIED !!! blushHas anyone had a similar (or worse) experience like that..?? eg: 'bits' popping out without you noticing..------------------Kato

Kato

bassjunkiemember
24 posts

Posted:
I'm still real new to thi so I'm spending a lot of time with a cricket box on to save the family jules!I did manage to have an acident with the poi i made the other day though.I made poi with plug chain and the little metal clips, I was showing my flat mate how silent this stuff was when the clip proved to be a little less substantial than neccesary... Of course it flew off straight towards his kahoonas and caused him to make a noise similar to tredding on a cat!Note to self: when damaging testicles, use someone else's...------------------A pleasant chap with no ulterior motives....

If music is the expression of emotion, politics is merely the decoy of perception.I sing with fire.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
eesh, my list is quite long, so im gonna give an abridged versionhmmmm...i was just practicing in the lobby of my high school, and had a small audience of 12 year old kids who had just finished a wrestling meet in the gym. I swear the following incident was completely on accident though it seems not to be. The kids had been asking random questions about twirling that i had been answering, and one asked "What happens if you let go of one?" Of course at this very moment my poi jumps from my fingers and flies straight into the poor kids chest luckly, i was doing a rather lazy reverse weave at the time, so it didnt have much momentum and the tennnis ball practice poi just bounced of his chest, but it scared the crap out of him im sure...another memorable moment was when i was learning to turn while doing butterfly, but i had no idea how to do it, and i tried bring a forward bf over my head and then turning around, this of course didnt work very well, and both poi wrapped my head and bashed me in the nosehmmm, demonstrating a leg wrap to some people who of course had to be girls. they commented on how close the poi must be coming to my more sensitive areas, to which i replied, yeah, but i was in control of them enough to keep em from actually hitting my stuff, of course the gods of poi do not like this sort of cockiness, and made the next wrap somehow manage to connect with my crotch...and there are many others, but thats all for now...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Ok, just a regular old smack in the Jools confession.. but this one was good'n proper.. I mean on my knees for a full 25 minutes proper !! (I know it was 25 cuz I did it at the beginning of Neighbours* and didnt get up until it had finished)Im kind of dissappointed because I have managed NOT to do that for so long... although I think I taught myself a very valuable lesson:Never become complaicent with dangerous toys, no matter how good [you think]you are.*An Aussi soap opera we get over here for those of you Stateside------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 07 February 2002).]

Kato

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
I shave my head...completely. And well, glowsticks have some pretty sharp edges on them...okay, not really, but when moving at fast speed they do. So, I have various cuts and nicks here and there.At the momment I have two cuts towards the upper right side of my forehead and a few on the back of my head.Tanzen------------------Ravers don't share glowsticks!

Ravers don't share glowsticks!

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
'kato' ... and all smileyou can always create a style with my hair - before we go out 1 night smileand 'SorchaTheFlaming' any pics of your fiery locks?i got me a fire-wig but un-fire resistantly sprayed as yet - thinking of shaving middle section so i can combine it with my u.v. orange flying helmet smilecrunchy on the outside , smooth on the insideswooping hugs all smileand are people 'british juggling convention bound?------------------swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*has started to notice a general BJC theme to Orange's posts of late*Are you trying to tell us something Rich?

Meh

Freefallmember
6 posts

Posted:
I think I've never done any (very) stupid thing or hurt myself badly, but this friend of mine, Silvia, was spinning torches beautifully at a party, on the top of a hill - wearing headphones.Her discman was tied to her belt, and she stopped for a moment to turn up the volume...and of course, shit happened.Her left sleeve caught on fire and she didnt even NOTICE!!!She started spinning again, etc.Then I ran up to her and started patting her arm and back, trying to put out the fire, while holding her left hand so I wouldnt get hit.I dont know what she thought I was doing, but she started yelling at me and said I had ruined everything!!Sure, it took me a long time to explain what happened - partly because I couldnt stop laughing - and to convince her she had caught on fire.I took her to the restroom and showed her the huge black spot on her shirt - cotton, thanx God. Thats what happens when you're spinning a really wet wick, using lamp oil!cheers grinplastikgirl------------------tr0uble is my middle name

tr0uble is my middle name

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
So my best little story was only last Monday - and I've been suffering the consequenses all week --> Was practising with my beaming poi on sunday night and, I'm not really sure what happened, but one hit me at speed in the head - Big Ouch. By Monday afternoon the sickness thing I was experiencing, along with the monsterous headache was enough for me to be taken down to the hospital to get it all checked out. 6 hours later I emerged from A+E having been told there was nothing they can do about it, and to be greatful I hadn't cracked my skull and to expect to continue to feel sick for a while longer! Ever so helpful! A good thing tho is that not too many people knew I twirled - now everyone's really interested. Tee Hee. I just gotta stop feeling so ill so I can get back into it again - I hate not being able to play for more than a few minutes at a time right now.... smile e*

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

There. I said it.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Page: