Forums > Videos > Wildfire Entertainment of Oklahoma VIDEOS!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
We needed a video thread of our own, so here it is

We just put up a new video on our site, click
here

The latest video is our Team Compilation and lemme tell ya, we're pretty happy with it. It's [31 MB] in size, so it may take a moment or two to download. You'll notice right away that we used a popular tune, but it's cuz I believe there wasn't enough fire spinning in the original video and the music is just too good to pass up

Hope you guys enjoy!

[ 09. March 2003, 15:19: Message edited by: Dio ]

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
hm, my computer can't seem to find your video files. What sort of player are they made for?

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

729 posts

Posted:
They're all DivX encoded, should run in windows media player if you've got the right codecs installed. Check the original video thread for a heap of useful information related to that, there's also a link on our main site
https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com

That should point you in the right direction

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Yippee!!!!! It turned out good! Wish it didn't take so long to load tho *smirk* Ah well it was still a good one...Need to make more sometime.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
meep

[ 25. February 2003, 10:13: Message edited by: NickC ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
as soon as i get my system up and running again i will get my ass here and download and give credits.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool video. I can't agree with your musical tastes at all though.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
What the heck is going on in the intro? Does everyone have down syndrome or something?

"TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT"

Also I pretty much agree with nickc on the issue of safety with the paintball gun. I would hate to see your safety habbits with fire toys if you handle a paintball gun like that.

BTW on your website it has a heading "time lapse photography"

Time lapse photography does not equal a slow shutter speed. It is actually animation of several pictures taken over a long duration of time.

[ 24. February 2003, 09:47: Message edited by: Astar ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Also what is that tube that some guy is holding down by his hip and it shoots out a big fire ball?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Eye protection while playing paintball is very important. *edited for content* It would be imposible for Chris (a very good marksman) to miss from five feet away, somebody (Dewey) standing perfectly still, waiting to get shot in the side (an area two feet away from his face) And, if you listen carfully, they are saying "keep it low" in order to not endanger his face. And he was wearing SAFETY GLASSES. He was a voluntier, and even if I would have wanted to, I could not have stopped it from happening. The most I could do was get it on tape so the doctors wouldn't need to do an autopsy. Please respect paintball markers, they realy can put an eye out or destroy an ear drum. Please don't do that kind of stuff at home, we are trained profesionals (or something)

NickC, thank you for your complement on the doubles and sword. *edited for content* It is called "fire dancing by a great many people, most of whom do not realy dance.

Belive me, I am just as bad as Pele when it comes to safety issues. That includes fire twirling, PLAYING paintball, and using the super staff (that thing is scary).

Astar, I am not familiar with photography terminology, but it doesn't help for you to tell me what it isn't called, and not tell me what it is called. If you will (pwease?) tell me the correct name I will gladly correct our terminology. thank you for keeping us strait.

As to the "super staff", Jedi White invented it, and was shooting it. That one is a "trade secret" for one very big reason. It is one of the most dangerouse things we have ever invented, and one of the most awsome. If we told everybody how to make one, we would be endangering the lives and health of a great many people. It would be like giving crack to school children, distributing the methods for "easy to make" nerve gas, or giving an "axis of evil" nation the plans to make a 90 megaton nuke. Some things are better left unknown. We will never use the super staff in public either.

Thank you all for the honesty of your comments so far. *edited for content* Hopefully there will be some more people who find enjoyment in it.

Love to you all.

[ 25. February 2003, 06:58: Message edited by: santanatrue ]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I have seen paintballs curve pretty ridicously comeing out of the barrel of a gun. Especially a crappy gun like a sheridan jackal.

Don't get me wrong the chances of it curveing badly enough to hit him in the face is pretty unlikely but it is likely.

Really my main concern with the paintball nonsense is the fact that your holding a fully loaded paintball gun in a room full of spastic people jumping up and down screaming. It's just asking for an accident. I don't feel comfortable with anyone handling a gun without a plug when no one has masks on. Sorry I have just seen to many
close calls.

I suggest you call the picture section something along the lines of "pictures"

I don't think there is a term for the technique of slow shutter photography but I am not a photographer.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
As far as the rest of the video I liked parts of it. Like the super staff and the doubles. It was nice how you shot the stuff in the gym or community hall/whatever with a stationary camera and did the cuts.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
The person (Chris) holding the paintball marker is not acting crazy or spastic. At no point was he pointing it at anybody in the room (befor or after the video was taken) with the exception of the victim/voluntier. The only "spactic" person is Larry, and he realy is a nut case, that is why he is not the one holding the marker....

Chris fired the shot after a great deal of contemplation, hesitation, and carfull aim. Having a plug in a gun about to be fired doesn't make much sence either Chris is a safe handler of firearms, not just those silly toys that weekend warriors use to make themselves feel like real warriors. Paintball is a great training aid, but it is nothing compaired to the training with and safe use of actual firearms. Real guns don't have plugs, and we are used to handling real guns. Unfortunately (shamefully)we don't normaly use plugs, but rather, rely on the direction the barrle is pointed, the safety, not having a loaded chamber, and not having your finger on the trigger, to keep us safe from harm. After using real guns for so many years this training is natural to us. With that being said, I have seen people who I do not feel safe around, because of their poor gun handling skills. Chris is not one of those people.

I also have seen paintballs curve pretty rediculousely, but that is due to the spinning of the ball (just like baseball) and curving two feet over a distance of eight feet, in a marker with a straight barrle and a good muzzle, using good paintballs is basicaly impossible. And Dewey DID have safety galsses on, just to be safe....er. Your point is well taken though, as I am a safety freak also.

The people in that scene are not fire twirlers, they are friends and associates of mine. I may not approve of their behavior at times, but I am not their mother, and even she wouldn't be able to stop them from acting like that. Civilization and normality is a far cry from the place that video was shot.

Thanks for the complement Astar,

We can please some of the people all the time, and all the people some of the time. But we can't please all the people all the time.

[ 25. February 2003, 07:03: Message edited by: santanatrue ]

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
neeb

[ 25. February 2003, 10:14: Message edited by: NickC ]

729 posts

Posted:
"comment[ing] about someone looking silly when they dance" is one thing... it could have been stated much more tactfully, without a doubt. Commenting that someone looks "like a foolish monkey" does not sound anything like constructive criticism, it sounds like a personal insult. Especially after a F-this F-that rant about what "morons" were involved in the video.

Let's keep criticism at least on a friendly and constructive level please?

The scenes of the practice session were meant more to show what we've built here in our area than anything else. As of last August, it was Me, Santana, and JediWhite who were the only fire spinners around here (for proof just try to do a search on the "Meet others" link in Oklahoma). We've literally built an entire troupe from nothingness and that is pretty much the single proudest element of ours in this video. We've incorporated talent from many different styles, backgrounds and even countries. And then Dan got his hands on the huge orange tube....

Pictures... hmmm... We could just call it the "Fire Art" section? Sounds more sophisticated.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I am pleased that you have fostered the growth of fire spinning in your community. I'm sure it's a great feeling that your crew has introduced many others to the good times to be had with fire/non-fire spinning.

[ 25. February 2003, 10:14: Message edited by: NickC ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Paintball is originated from nelson paint's invention to easily mark cattle and tree's. It was adapted into a sport by a couple of guys in the 80's and it totally took off as one of the fastest growing sports. Sure it has been used as a training aid but it's a really shitty one. There are certainly more effective training aids then using guns if you want to practice actual combat tactics. Last time I chccked it was a bad idea to actually fire live rounds at each other . If people want to train they should use the MILES weapons system (glorified laser tag).

If your playing amongst your own group of friends who you all know have experience with fire arms then it is fine not to use barrel plugs. The point of barrel plugs is in paintball you usually have kids playing paintball who are highly likely to shoot someones eye out if precautions aren't taken.

[ 24. February 2003, 13:02: Message edited by: Astar ]

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I agree that this kind of behaviour brings everyone down and we should act mature and rational about things. I've said all I want to say, hope we're past this.

/me commences burying the hatchet.

[ 25. February 2003, 10:15: Message edited by: NickC ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Let's clean this bad boy up.

It is nice to see we are able to get over this so quickly. As the natives american's say "the hatchet is buried". Did you know they used to actually go out and dig a hole, and bury their weapons in the ground? One of those few phrases that can be taken literaly.

Remember the Jedi Thread? Some people got hostile towards eachother, and it went on for several pages, untill people were about to kill eachother (if they hadn't been in different countries). It almost ruined the thread. People ended up leaving HOP forever, and unrecoverable damage was done to our community. This opportunity comes along very infrequently, and we have just passed that test. The test of our true nature. And we have not been found lacking.

*edited for content*

[ 25. February 2003, 07:10: Message edited by: santanatrue ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
some of the natives would also cut off arms and pluck out eyes of their enemies so in the afterlife they could not fight and there would be peace.

***gets out the meet clever

just kidding.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
BTW, I'm the guy with the mop top and the crappy staff in the "training" segments of the video (one who does the splits) and am doing a short tiny bit of staff work after the sword guy.

How do I look, experienced people?

Also, bout the whole paintball thing...... it's a game. There is danger in everything man does, wasting time thinking about it will only lead to ulcers; see there's the danger in sitting around and thinking. ^_^

No one knows me like I do.

Jkaremember
19 posts

Posted:
People, I suggest that cleaning up this post would be constructive. At least taking out that first post which offended me, and I wasn't even in the video. I, honestly, haven't seen a flame war this bad in a very long time.

Every fire spinner that I have seen dance does so in a different style. Some of whom I think look a bit goofy at times (though I am making no comment about the dancing in the video that is my private opinion) but, for me, if the person dances with passion and style I will try to appreciate what they have learned about the abilities of their body. I have seen people perform every move that I know with excellence but they still fail to dance, or have passion. I would rather watch a goofy passionate beginner any day.

I might want to suggest to some individuals on the thread that if you are implicitly trusting these individuals and their abilities to handle fire (which I do with all posters on HOP), it would be a good idea to take a close look at some of the more subtle saftey measures they were using in the making of their video. The answers are there if you choose to look for them.

As per plugs in paint ball guns, I have always thought that it was a way to decrease liability for public ranges, keep dirt out of the barrels, and, probably, in the older days of the sport keep the balls from falling onto the ground from the chamber. If you think that those plugs actually make your life too much safer, I suggest you go work for your local airport security.

I am friends with Dio, though in a different state (geographically and noologically) and am protective of his troupe. I also think that some individual's personal dogma was trying to be imposed upon them. Let them make up their own protocals, or at least give some useful information. Usually the HOP community is supportive of itself, and I don't understand why we failed to be so this time. I believe in saftey (see Rhode Island) but I also believe that one can be safe, and hide that saftey from the viewers, both in public and much more easily on video.

This troupe has expanded what it means to be a fire spinner by a few dimensions. Both the hyperloop, and the "super staff" were founded by these guys, and I think that is to be applauded. I think we need to worry about idiots who have no clue who are endangering our profession right now.

Just my six sense

Jkare
It's Time

Salama mpira wa moto

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jkare:
the hyperloop [was] founded by these guys
really...?

anyway, i haven't got to see the video yet so i'll come back and post again later but i wanted to say how happy i am that people are getting decent, editied videos together basically for their friends and us lot here on hop.
its well appreciated and hopefully sometime later this year, i can help add some nice moving pictures to the mix too.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no offence intended but i think the hyperloop has been done for a while on both sides of the pond by independent peeps....

not yet seen the vid but can't wait to find the reasons for such impassioned arguements

and dan do you mean chicks dig scars?

Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
(mm, nice bitch fight you all had last night, good to see that your shaking hands )

Yea its really hard to choose music, hey.
I really like the shot at ~3:03 the close up, its really strong image. Its got great bit of lighting and nice relaxed spinning too. Who is that ?

Hyperloops, I dunno their first origin.
I first saw them more than 2 years back on the traveller circuit and traced them back to thailand, but there the trail dried up, don't even know their nationality??

Don't really care, (I know its important to some peoples) Poi is going critical mass, so tricks are being developed simultaineously all over london and all over world.

But, I do know where the name hyperloops comes from....

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Heh no that isn't the exclusive of paintball barrel plugs.

Hell a lot of fields went from barrel plugs to barrel condoms (a sock type thing that goes over the barrel and ties onto the feed neck because barrel plugs weren't safe enough.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah, yeah, but too bad _MY_ name for "hyperloops" KICKS ROYAL FRIGGIN BOOTY over "hyperloops"...

hyperloops, schmyperloops...

i call them gordian knots(patent pending), and if you're cool, i'll let you call them that too...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
but mr arashi... hyperloops have two ends exposed (the poi heads) so they can't really be gordian's can they...?

gordian schmordian. i'm with less naming - just call all this stuff 'airwraps' or 'hyperloops' and have done with it.
hyps and airwraps are basically the same thing, just in different planes so if tangled butterflies are part of the hyperloop family, why can't airwraps be in there too?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
...Drew his sword and cut through arashi's poi.
snip, well that buggered that name.

Hey arashi, Seeing as they were a virgin birth from your sweet smelling divine sphincter
I just wondered why you don't call them "Anal love knots".

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well i scrolled 20 odd posts to get here, couldnt be arsed to read them all, i get the gist of the thread so far.

NOW CAN WE GET SOME FUCKING POI DONE PLEASE?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Glass, that's me at 3:03

I did not invent hyperloops, I learned about them (weave version) on the jedi thread. As far as I know, I DID invent a lot of new types of hyperloops, such as the butterfly, recoil, and semi-corkscrew. That doesn't mean I am the only one who came up with them though, I am just the only one i know of who developed all those variations. I must give arashi credit though, at times it seems he is well ahead of me in the hyperloops division, at least in understanding them anyways.

well pk, what do yo think of the video? Not the most technical, but is it a good start?

Page: ...