Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
I'm kinda the only one who pratice this art in my area, I've only had my poi for a short while and I wonder how hard it is to leran it by your selfe with no one there to help or guide you.
(except from the lessons on this site)

I got this pair of comet poi and they seem to tangle a lot, are they very sensitive to wind?

Give a lonely beginner some tips please.

Regards / The lonely Swede Christian

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
How hard is it? About this hard -----> .

It just takes longer in my opinion. You can't rely on someone else pointing out your mistakes, you have to pay attention to what your hands are doing when you mess up and break it down to figure out what's going wrong. I'm completely self taught outside of this site and don't own any 'commercial' fire wicks, poi of any type of staff. If I want a new staff, that means a trip to the hardware store, new fire chains - hardware store, new wicks - rag bin. So in short, yes, it can be done.

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NickC:
You can't rely on someone else pointing out your mistakes, you have to pay attention to what your hands are doing when you mess up and break it down to figure out what's going wrong
That can be so damn frustrating .....

Btw how long did it take you to become good?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'm all self taught, well when I was learning the basics I didn't know anyone who I could learn from.. it was only when I found the group in Guildford and HoP that I started to have other influences.. up untill that time I was quite happy with my weave and butterflies.. it's good to get the basics down rite - practise on your planes.. and it'll all be cool..

enjoy what you can do and don't try to improve too much too quickly - I now see people attempting behind the back weave without being able to do a nice forward weave.. it looks really messy

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna jump in here.. I don't think any of us are 'good' just on different levels of the same journey.. keep going my friend.. you can't compare yourself to someone that has been spinning for 2 years.. they may have been worse than you when they were back where you are now..

Edit/ oh and if your tails keep tanglin up - just tie them up till you have the move down.. then see how pretty it is..

[ 19. March 2003, 05:26: Message edited by: MisStix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the uplifting words.
It gives me more confidence to pull this off

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Who said I was 'good'? What qualifies as 'good'?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am fully self taught. I don't think it takes longer necessarily since there is no real learning curve here. I think there are tremendous benefits to being self taught. You have your own style developed, you can "discover" or make up moves/transitions completely uninfluenced which gives them a more stylistic quality as well as giving you that thrill of creation.
If you are in need of other materials other than the lessons on here, in the shop is a book by Bec and Elke on poi basics (Pixie Poi Book, I believe it is called). They have a great way of really breaking things down into easy to understand language. Michal also has a Poi Spinning Instruction Book available in the shop which is great. The wording is good but the pictures really spell it out so clearly. These are both fantastic and more importantly portable learning tools. There is also the Art of Poi video which are the lessons on this site, plus additional info and it is clear, concise and easy to follow.

These should get you well into the flow. You are very fortunate actually. When I started there were none of these resources available, including this site. These things will help but above all have patience, practice and feel free to experiment and be creative. That is where this true art and joy stems from. And don't worry about being alone, many of us are...and after 3 (nearly 4) years I am still learning and always will be. It is a constant growth and discovery with poi. Relish in that, and the fact that when you do come across other spinners you will be in such a fantastic place to share your own unique style that has not been influenced by anything but your own passion!
Cheers!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I'm a lone poi-er too, sheffield is nearly 2hrs away ya know! I agree with NickC, MisStix & Pele, you will create your own style. This site, the videos & the Moves forum give you an extensive source of info. Check out this thread on teaching , it explains a lot from a teaching and learning point of view. Spinning infront of a mirror (or a window at night ) has helped me critique my own spinning, also how it feels - you know when something is right by the way it feels/flows

Plus, learning is all part of the fun & us lone spinners get to spend more time doing it

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Self taught"? God no, I've never had an origial poi thought in my life. I stole everything from HoP or people I met on HoP.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
I learned the first three moves from a friend, then I got stuck on ideas for a while because I'm a loner too. so I bought the poi spinning book by Michal Kahn. within two months I had worked myself through the whole book. Now I try inventing and also becoming more confident with what I can do. and as Michal says in her book " the best spinning is the spinning you enjoy most". have fun

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
'ello, I'm a bit of a loner too frown

I learnt most tricks from the clips on HOP, but occasionally I find one trick can be changed a bit and looks completely different, for example changing the timing of each poi biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying