Forums > Social Chat > Who is yer poi dancer inspiration?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
who is yer poi inspiration guys? well maybe you dont tho but i do... mine are Jo derry and Danger boy... i have saw videos from them really nice dancing.... i would like to dance as good as them tho hahaIt just that i dont see many good poi dancer here sucks man =( ppl is just starting to get in that here tho

Dance like if noone were watching you

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I do staff. And I also find Dangerboy inspirational. Also, Charles (when he's not burning himself) but don't tell him cos he'll only get all bigheaded..... wink

Meh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
*takes this opportunity to gloat* mwahaqhaha, DB and I got to working on some dual moves last week....My inspiration was always Finn, always has been and i think always will be one of the best poi spinners.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PlyflHartmember
7 posts

Posted:
My inspiration is some gurl that hangs out at the Warehouse here in Calgary smile i havn't a clue who she is though but she was really really good i'm hooked smile

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
*tans in the light of unsolicited ego-stroking*it's funny, when i spin, i feel kinda clumsy and awkward. when i see myself spin, my first thought is usually "who the hell is that?"how you look and how you feel are often not closely related at all. my inspirations are two people who aren't part of this board. the first is lucas, the first guy i ever saw spin fire, before i even knew such a thing existed. he is a crazy little elf boy and spins faster and more fluidly that anyone i have ever seen. i get most of my staff style from him. the other is a woman i only met a few times in victoria. with her, she danced and the poi danced with her. it made you smile. i've never seen anyone so at ease with poi before or since.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I met Jo Derry at Headcharge a while back. Nice bloke. Just thought i'd mention it.

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Cantus, you name dropper! wink*reciprocates*Dangerboy is actually part of The Wick Effect now... and he told me I was beautiful :b and he stayed at *my* house and he's my friend.*continues on with childish babble into the distance*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Weazalmember
13 posts

Posted:
I have no clue what her name was but I was at burning man this year and I saw some girl spinning fire, and ever since then I was determened to learn how to spin

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
*rolls eyes*well....I saw Hallucinogen live at Rainbow Serpent 2000.This has nothing to do with Twirling I just thought I would add itAs you do. wink------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I dont really have any inspiration...maybe May from Infinite Chaos? everyone else is just a conduit for learning. she's the only person I've ever seen that I thought had skills so advanced I'm not sure I'll ever get there...However! a trip to NZ to see uber fire twirlers might change that smileIs there any video of Charles online?Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
And as for Name dropping!I'm going out with wait for it...Katinca!!! smileBeat that!Josh

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
hey againhey Danger boy and jo derry how much does it took ya learn all you know about poi???

693 posts

Posted:
That's a good point Josh. I don't think I have seen anyone that I ore in amazement.However May from Infinite Chaos was pretty damn inspiring and amazing.Most people, its like hey that’s cool, yeh that’s cool too. But the only person I think my mouth has dragged on the floor at what they can do is May.However, as Josh says NZ is probably on the cards for our next overseas trip, and I hope I have a very sore jaw by the end of it. grinLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 30 October 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Flash? Well Jo derry spoke to me. He said "Ooh, sparkley dreads....." I've remember some other inspiring folks...Bec and Elke. Their book helped me a great deal when i was first starting out.And not forgetting my biggest source of inspiration - me. If it weren't for my constantly messing up the simplest of tricks when showing people how easy it is to spin staff. Or coming up with tricks that are nigh on impossible to carry off but striving to learn them anyhow. I wouldn't be as good as I am today. smileJoshI don't think there is any stuff of Charles. At least nothing I've seen. He just inspired me to practice more when I read some of the stuff he can do. (And the fact that he a year younger than me was also a factor wink )Anyway, Frenzie name dropped first.....*sulking*------------------C@ntus

Meh

693 posts

Posted:
Actaully, I think I would also have to say that Pozees wraps and one handed butterfly neck wraps are pretty damn cool too.And I have hung out at his house too so there tonguehehe grinLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 30 October 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I don't do poi so i'm not impressed in the slightest tongueAnyway Flash Fire. I said you were pretty does that not count for anything?

Meh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
my poi inspiration (ie the one that made me bother to learn it when all I wanted to do was staff) is a guy here in dunedin called aaron, but he doesn't visit this page. he has an incredible grace when he spins, and he's also incredibly good technically. Sadly he's a slackarse so he's not entering the competition....I tried, I really did rolleyesMy staff inspiration....well, the guy that made me want to learn was a juggler called kim. I learnt the basics from him, mostly just watching him and stealing moves. Later I met a guy called Kino, who's a legend on double staff, and has a great style, but doesn't seem to do it much anymore. Tried a few times to track him down and learn from him, but no success. And there's some incredibly tall, skinny, bendy guy in auckland that does fantastic doubles, can't remember his name though. His wrists appear to be made of rubber.......I thought girls were supposed to be the flexible ones? ;-)x------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....(edited cause my OOS is back so my typing's really crap at the moment....should get away from the keyboard I guess)[This message has been edited by xaeda (edited 30 October 2001).]

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Mine would have to be Jo Derry... I've only seen one of Dangerboy's vids and thats cause my bandwidth sucks arse.Kat.. you saw Hallucinogen?? WHERE?? WHEN WAS THIS??!? ARGghhhhh yet another one thats been missed... I've been a huge fan of those guys(or that guy) for at least 5 years now. Yet in my drug-induced haze (about 5 years ago until almost 18 months ago) many things escaped my notice-like tour dates etc.. and eating..and where I lived ..okay maybe not that last one winkI used to listen to it when I was waking up, and going to sleep... and all bits in between. Next time I expect an impending-good-music warning! smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Theres this little guy in my head who kinda looks like me in a couple of years. Big dreads good bod you know smileAnyhow - this guy can do all sorts of crazy shit with long chains and big balls of fire. I'm beginning to look more like him, in my twirling at least smileAnyhow - He's doing some cool stuff that I cant do, so I'm visualising it and working towards it...slowly...I was happy to get that turning Neck wrap, and alternating arm wrap turns in the last couple of weeks, cuz doing these fluidly makes up part of my vision.Hallucinogen - Rainbow Serpent Festival Jan 2000 it was by far the best party I've ever been to in Australia. Its the reason I keep going back and its the reason I urge every Australian Trancer to converge on that small property just outside of Ballerat towards the end of January.Josh

693 posts

Posted:
I second that Josh.If you like Trance and outdoor parties, then RSF is the BEST thing since toasted sliced white bread and vegemite with heaps of butter*drooooools*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
none of my 'inspirational' poi people come here :/but DAMN are they good. of course, they have 4+ years experience over me, i always like to be content with that fact :>

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
Hi My inspiration dancers would have to be Tarzan and Fire_Hazard. Tarzan cause he is just amazing he has been spinning for over a year and its just something that I would like to work towards! And Fire_hazard cause we started at the same time and she is just growing and growing and it gives me the confidence to try grow at the same rate as her. And she is relentless with her practise. Which makes me practise harder as well.Thanks The Both Of YOU!!!!!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I have many sources of inspiration including random beginners who just grab my poi and come up with sick moves.My sunshines Buzz, Stefan, Kat obviously helped more than a lot !And while we're at it, Robert Michael, your bit on the COL took my breath away !And Bec, your book and the rest smile made me also enter this "realm of fire and magic" ... thank you !!!Much respect and loveShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I don't have inspiration as such from other spinners, but instead - if I see someone better than me - it drives me on to learn my own new stuff. Seeing an excellent spinner usually makes my next week one of intense spinning exploration...Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
As for seeing people and being inspired, whenever I see anyone do fire I am inspired...whether it is to do something or not to make the same mistake really depends on the person spinning. However, most of what I see is in mass media or on video (I am fairly isolated here) so...my inspiration comes from that same drive to do better that Jo Derry was discussing, but also from other performers who have nothing to do with fire. They drive me to smoothe out my show, to add to it and make it stronger, to really push the limits so that I will have a unique show on the Ren Circuit. Watching things like Cirque Du Soliel, Circles of Light, etc... Any interesting circus skill act that is good at what they do inspires me to become better. As for live spinners, I haven't seen a fire one since Spring and the one I did see who spun meat cleavers wasn't impressive as a dancer at all, though she had really great double staff type technique.And of course, when I see dancers or my own imagination.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ive said it before and ill say it again....Jo Derry has the smoothest weaves to BTB weaves. i fucking drool watching that COL video wishing i could do that.My inner inspiration...Cassandra luv ya sweetie!!But everyone on this board has helped me in some way, shape, or form. I thank you allSuperman

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Tarzanmember
9 posts

Posted:
Chakan, it's only the greatest pleasure to spin with you two. I've been doing this for almost a year, and I've never had anyone to share it with. I was entering a slow done in my enthusiasm till u guys showed up. Now there's a bounty of new tricks and combinations I play with in my head.The moves I know I learnt from all the guys and lasses on this site. Thanks to you all, hope we all meet eventully. Xaeda: you blow my mind with your staff moves. I have a request tho: I've always wanted to see you spin with fire at night. I'll be good all of next year if you do it for me for a christmas pressie.oo, while I'm here:where can I get hold of this compilation tape everyones been talking about?"The wind, the rain, the earth of our kind, only excel when exposed to the fire of our mind."

This leads to bedwetting?
sheets well spent.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Yeah i got my weave BTB weave from his video also the weave turning and BTB weave and turning hehe hey Jo keep doing videos so i can watch them grin ya own man! =)BTW.... can anyone help me?? i have saw many times that video of jo derry this one...https://64.87.7.217/displayreal.php?real=jo_derry56.rambut i still dont figure out what he is doing on the sec 38 to the second 43... If anyone can help me and tell me what is i would apreciate it smile[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 31 October 2001).]

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
In the vid I think he's doing a split time butterfly, then spinning his body back to do a reverse split time butterfly to his far left, then swinging it round to his other side.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I once saw Pele do the "knee thing." I tried to ask for her autograph but she had her security team push me out of the way. I almost touched her shoe. It was really cool.I thought I saw Prozee at a club in NYC but it was just Brad Pitt. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey there NYC...I couldn't have you ruining my stand offish reputation now could I? Then again, I spent the night at your place didn't I??? You have my permission to put up one of those plaque in your living room that says "Pele slept here" though! tongueSorry about the mess though, you know how us "star types" get! rolleyesMuch love------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Page: