Forums > Other Toys > Help! My friend got a lung full of parafin!

Login/Join to Participate

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
What a muppet.

He's never done fire breating before and decided it would be a good idea to try (I wasn't there to tell him what a stupid idea it was!)

I don't know exactly what happened but I do know that somehow he got the parafin in his lungs. The next day he was coughing up blood and was rushed to casualty.

He's been in the hospital for nearly a fortnight and the doctors here have no idea what to do with him. For some reason they've given him a steroid inhalerbut no oxygen. Apparently he has some kind of chemically induced pneumonia.

The main problem is that we cant find an MSDS with the fuel that he used! Where can I get some useful information to give these doctors?!?!?

help!

NEVER eat anything you can't spell.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
get the bottle or find out where it was from and look at their stock.
look on the bottle for the name of the company that makes it.
phone them up and get them to send the msds to the hospital.

sounds like it won't make much difference now he's been diagnosed but i hope he gets well soon cos that sounds pretty f*cked up.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
It might be too little far too late at this stage, but try what coleman said.

The damage has been done at this stage...and, I'm sorry to say this, but it's not just new firebreathers that this can happen to. Even those with years of experience (like Pele & Dangerboy) can have this happen to them.

It's one of the risks of firebreathing and don't for a second think that those who practice it are immune to this.

Email Pele ASAP as she has a lot of info about what happened to her, which was similar (I can't say the same as I'm not a docter and I can't diagnose either of the two situations).

I'm worried that no-one has been able to tell the medical staff what the fuel was after two weeks of him being hospitalised! Did he not have a safety there with him who knew exactly what the fuel was?

I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened and hope he recovers (if he does, many people aren't lucky enough to recover).

If he does pull through, he's got a long road ahead of him learning to breath, walk and everything else so give him as much support as you can.

Firebreathing is dangerous...No matter who you are

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
Well, he is my friend but that doesn't mean he'll listen to what anyone tells him! Bit stubborn but regretting it now. He's also pretty embarassed, which is why he didn't tell me exactly what he'd done till sunday.

He didn't have a safety as it was a spur of the moment thing. Stupid. This is also why we have no idea what the fuel was. I'm pretty sure it was just regular parafin.

I really hope I've made it clear that I had nothing whatsoever to do with this! I'm just trying to help a friend who didn't think this through! And I knew that Hop would be the best place to ask! Thanks for all the advice!

NEVER eat anything you can't spell.

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Like Charles said, make sure you write to Pele... I know that her doctors communicated with the doctors working on a guy who breathed in parafin in California and he said that them beign able to talk to her doctors really helped out the situation. good luck.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quick Update...

She did email me. I helped as much as I could.

How is your friend WP?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Why did you let him fire breath?

Take the power back

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Original Pyro...Have a look at wickedpixies post aboce Dulce Flame's post...It wasn't really a matter of 'letting him'

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Fair play man,

Ice ice baby. x x R

Take the power back

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Hope ur friend is ok... Not good though.. Any probs like this I have the msds for the majority of commonly used fuels (plus a few others) (being a medic I thought it would be good idea to find out as much as possible) so if any1 has similar probs in future and needs nething like that just drop me a line....... I'm actually contemplating doing some research on fire-eating and fuels since quite a lot of info I found on it was hear-say and experience and I figure it could be useful...

Play safe..

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Psycho...I am really confused as to your last statement. What info is heresay? And experience is *the best* teacher. Where are you getting this from? I have done a TONNE of research into all of the close proximity fires (eating/breathing/trailing) and have a three ring folder with more than a hundred pages in it, not to count the books and web pages marked. I am really interested in what you came up with that I did not please.

When I went to the hospital initially the Poison Control Center was on the phone with the MSDS in front of them and I still was treated improperly. They don't help if people do not know how to treat it and in WP's case if you don't know which fuel is used.
I have the MSDS on all the fuels I use as well. Doesn't help much in the end, unless you swallowed it. It helps to determine whether to pump the stomach or neutralize and leave it there.

Steps for inhalation that should be taken by the physician are, as told to me by the Dr. and Resp therapist at the hospital:

Extended period observation. Do not leave the hospital! This should also include chest xrays to make sure that the lungs are not filling with fluid.

Moist Oxygen, moisture helps keep crud from hardening making it harder to breathe. Pure oxygen helps move the healing process along.

Bronchial Dialators (such as for asthmatics, like albuterol, etc). Makes it easier to breathe and less damage to occur.

A treatment of anti-biotics helps as well to keep infection from setting in, but they don't always do this. However, for impending chem pnuemonia, it should be done.
BTW, the technical term for the pnuemonia the chemicals caused with me is Lipid Pnuemonia, just for reference.

Pele

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Apologies,

When I was looking for info a while back I came up with not a lot.. There were a few good sources (can't remember exactely where) and a couple of very good books. Kinda a bit anal in wanting to find out as much as possible but hell, if it keeps u that little bit safer! HoP had load of excellent stuff but aside from that it can be very confusing where to get "good" info (since how can you distinguish.. I'm sure every1 has read things on the net where they thought "nooo no no no - bad idea). I agree that experience is a good teacher however there are several points of contention e.g. fuels.. And searching the medical journals for info I believe the last ENGLISH written article was published in 1987 (though there are several more recent dutch and french publications).. If you've done any research then I'd be very interested reading any thing you have., (prob more appropiate for a private e-mail)

My point was very subjective and not intended to offend any people..(but if it's a prob I encountered then others surely must...maybe I'm just a bit thick which is equally as likely ) It's just I figured it may be an idea to not just collect info but also to look at patterns of fire eating, fuels used, problems (health, inj) experienced etc., This is just an idea at the moment which I'm taking very seriously since I don't think it would be that hard to undertake and the results would certainly be interesting to me (but then I actually enjoy research). From your PoV what questions do u reakon it would be worth answering? I was gonna ask opinion of moderators etc., when I had my thoughts somewhat more organised but hey..

Can I just add finally that us medics are a bit simple - If we experience something we haven't seen then we resort to basic principles (i.e. ABC, oxygen, poisons unit) but also when it's unusual we have a look whats been written on subject... and that's not a lot at the moment (true I guess that reflects how often these injuries are encountered).. So surely anything more has gotta be useful...

Hope this clears up what I meant..

- Chris

P.S. From what I've read steroids should also come in as part of the treatment (to prevent inflammation caused by whatever caustic agent inhaled)

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Chris, steriods are bronchial dialators that are given to asthmatics that I mentioned. Many of the inhalers used have steriods in them, just to let you know. You are correct, but they are specific.

As far as information, what exactly are you looking for? Many of the foreign publications have translations which can be obtained, usually for a nominal fee. Also, if you were looking for the pnuemonia treatments...it is found under...PetroChemical Pnuemonia, Lipid Pnuemonia or Fire Eaters Lung.
Those might help your search a bit.

Pele

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
did anyone try an expectorant, like guaifenesin?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel