Forums > Social Chat > Firestay - let's give each other a place to crash when we travel

Login/Join to Participate

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hello lovely fire people :-)Okay, I'm shamelessly stealing an idea here, but I think it's a good one, so I figure it's well worth stealing. There's a thing floating round on the web called JuggleStay - https://www.juggling.org/orgs/jugglestay/.
Basically it's a webpage with a list of jugglers all around the world who are willing to give other jugglers a place to stay when travelling. I think we should do something similar for fire people......being really unoriginal, I figure it'd be called Firestay. There are so many of us now, and I think a lot of us are pretty transient people who are planning to travel at one point or another.....plus it's a great way to meet each other! :-)So here's the deal.....If you're willing to give a travelling fire person a place to stay, post a message giving as much info as possible:* Your country and city or rough location. Don't give your actual address unless you want strange people turning up on your doorstep in the middle of the night. You could also include attractions of your area, ie why would a traveller want to visit?* What kind of accomodation you can offer.....spare bed, mattress, the lounge floor, hammock, attic, camping space in the garden......be imaginative but honest :-)* How many people you can accomodate...don't just think about sleeping space, think about your own sanity, too. You might not want 13 firedancers taking over your house for a week! * How long they're allowed to stay for before you or your flatmates/family get sick of them ;-) * Whether you expect anything in return - this could be a small donation to help with expenses, cooking you a yummy international meal, buying the kero, teaching you firedancing moves.....or nothing at all :-)* How much notice you need, and whether there are any times you can't have people to stay.* Anything else you think people should know about.....your maneating lion, your 5 screaming children, the 12 languages you speak fluently, the firedancing community in your area......etc etc etc. * Your email address.Note....putting your name on this list *does not* mean you're opening your home up as a free-for-all hotel. People still need to get in touch with you to negotiate the conditions for them staying, and you're totally welcome to turn them down if you don't want people to stay right now, or if they sound like they have axe-murdering tendancies ;-) It's just a method of putting people in touch with each other smileMalcom, could you possibly add a link to this thread from the main page? Or maybe we should periodically compile it into an html list that's ordered by country....anybody want to volunteer for this job? Go on, you know you want to.....xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Great Idea!!Anybody wanna come stay with me in Perth??I am in full favour of the idea...even if it was not originally yours xaeda. I think it deserves its own category...or maybe a sub category of "meet others"?Oh, I am going to be travelling real soon... smile, poi are going to be the entertainment while waiting for planes, trains and buses. Maybe a set of devil stick as well....------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Okay, here I go, starting the list off.* I live in Dunedin, NZ. Way down south, it's cold in winter but has wonderful summers. It's a student city with cool old architecture, an albatross colony, great beaches, lots of good outdoor raves.....not really a tourist city but still a nice place. It's a few hours drive from some pretty cool scenic places and skifields.* I'm moving house next year, but can probably offer floorspace, a couch, a hammock, or some space to camp...your choice. * I'd rather have no more than 2 people, as it'd get pretty crowded otherwise, and the hot water cylinder won't cope. * 2 or 3 days is fine, longer by arrangement if we like you grin Between late November 2001 and late Jan 2002, there might be space in the flat for you to stay long term (paying a very low rent) if you want. This would be by negotiation and I'd have to make sure we get on with each other first :-) Summers here are hot and dry and there's fruit picking work an hour or so's drive away.* It'd be cool if you'd buy some food for yourself, or cook us a yummy vegetarian meal one night. Just be considerate and don't use too much power and you'll be sweet smile* A couple of days notice would be good, if you let me know further in advance, I can help you plan your trip and maybe let you know of other places to stay. As we're a student flat, we have exams around June and November, and I'll always need to make sure it's okay with the others before I can let people stay. * I can understand an ein klein bit of Dutch, and have flatmates who speak some Spanish and Japanese. We're mostly vegetarian but we won't yell at you if you eat meat. There's an irregular gathering of firedancers and I'd try and get them together to meet ya :-) You can walk to town from our house, and there's a limited bus system to go to other interesting places.* You can email me at jacinta@graffiti.netxaeda.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Xaeda, you rock !!!! smile(hope I can meet you and sleep on your hammock when I visit NZ).Welcoming people and friends who travel is really my idea of happiness even though my place is fairly small...I was told a few times by friends that it always look like a mess because there is almost always someone on visit, friends, friends of friends etc... Unfortunately, I'll be leaving my flat by the beginning of February. I'll be sleeping at friends myself but I am always happy to help and can maybe find a solution and help.However, in the meantime anybody is welcome and just email me : cassandrasunshine@hotmail.com.I need to be told a bit in advance cause as I said I am allready hosting friends quite often...As to why people should pass through Paris ?come on.... ::raises eyebrows and gives an arrogant bitchy smile:: It's Paris, baby winkshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
Okies I live in wellington, New Zealand (my profile kinda gives that away) Its the capital of New Zealand and it has sweet as people like myself here (Very little inbreeding yet, unlike south island towns).We got a rather large place with a spare room or too (depends on wheteher flatmates daughter comes back).Can accomidate 1000000000000000000's as long as you dont mind sleeping on the floor and in corners and stuff.Oh and if heaps wanna stay at the same time count on a party.Im 25, i flat with a 41yo a 45yo and a 14yo (yeah weird ass mix but it works seeing as they both caught in the 70's)Need at least 15mins notice smileCan stay as long as I can stand you.Smoking Friendly winkOh and we got a cat.But, we expect you to cover your own expenses (food, beer, hookers etc...) as we aint no charity.Anymore info email godfather@mafia.org.nz

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Another entry in Perth already!* I've recently arrived here so I don't have a place yet. I'm hoping to live in Fremantle, the funky groovy laid back part of Perth. As soon as I have somewhere I'll change this post.* I'm big on community cook ups where everyone pitches in and we feed an army for a pittance. I don't even know who my flatmates are yet so I can't tell how long they'll like you around for. Fremantle is one part of the world that is very friendly towards alternative lifestyles and arts and performance, so I can imagine people being really into it all.* Perth has a mediterranean climate. last year there were 6 months over summer with not a drop of rain. Once the american ambassador said that "Perth has the weather California thinks it has". Best time to come, now till May. cool* Entertainment wise, Perth has it all. Sport, Concerts, Music festivals, dance parties, arts festivals, film festivals, theatre, circus', good buskers and anything else you may want to see. Surfing, sand-surfing, Scuba diving, sky diving, sea kayaking, sailing, mountain biking and outback safari treks as well. Just near Perth are beautiful forests, wineries, caves, mountains, unique rock formations and rugged coastline with more beaches and surf. Sometimes I can't work out what to do next. Whale watching maybe.* Get in touch at getthebloodyjobdone@yahoo.com wink tongue cool rolleyes mad shocked confused ------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Although, I can't offer any accomodation where I live (I live with my parents until I can afford to move out), I'll volunteer for compiling an HTML list, as long as you don't want anything too fancy or complicated.------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Yay bovril :-)Might pay to consult with Malcom first, maybe he can set up a database similar to the 'meet others' one? I'm just thinking that the ubb is good as it allows us to change our messages if our circumstances change.....you probably don't want to have to update the page every time somebody moves house or buys a man-eating-lion or whatever ;-) I know the jugglestay list is updated by email, consequently it's awfully out of date. Anyway, thanks for volunteering, whatever you end up doing......you rock smile xaeda

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Xaeda - quality idea (even if it's not yours smile )I'm in the family roost at the mo, but I'm moving to Japan next summer, so when if anyone is flying that way - y'all welcome.M:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Well, Everyone has a place to stay in Houston, Texas if they need it. Not many people come through Houston for vacations though. It's a nice enough place to live, but not much on tourism. Some time early next year I'll probably be moving somewhere more interesting after I finish my dissertation - Oregon or California or maybe New Mexico or Washington D.C..For now I have a futon in my living room an another spare futon matress, so up to 4 or 5 could stay.My roomie (flatmate) would probably give you 5 days before he started geting cross-eyed. I probably will live alone after I move.Southern hospitality demands that I expect nothing in return except proper guest behavior (don't go through my personal stuff, don't smoke all of my stash, etc.).As long as I am in town, a few hours to a days notice is all I need. I'm pretty flexible that way. But you may find it difficult to get a hold of me at the last minute...There are several (about a dozen) fair to very good fire performers in Houston. We generally give an informal performance at a local club on Friday nights when the weather permits. Also late (as in VERY late) night get togethers on Saturday nights. We'd love to have you join us! -v- henize@spacsun.rice.edu

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
What a great idea! Unfortunately, I'm a paranoid New Yorker and will gladly offer hospitality to those on HOP that I have developed a posting rapport with. If a random name asks, I'm just going to assume that you're trying to kill me. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
lol, NYC. I met up with a girl from 'meet others' and she came to stay in my house. When I saw her, I was like 'Boy, am I glad you're not an axe murderer after all' and she said 'An axe murderer? On a poi website?'. I guess I see her point, I'm sure there are easier pickings out there...[This message has been edited by Fire Princess (edited 12 October 2001).]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, I find the efficiency with which you modify the site to the needs of its clients both startling and disorienting. Is there some way in which you could make it LESS efficient so that it will better blend with the rest of my life? Perhaps some kind of access code that only works SOMETIMES or a font that's really hard to read. I am often demoralized at work when things are not corrected or implemented as smoothly and quickly as this website. By running this website so efficiently you are providing a model which is intimidating, unrealistic, and unattainable.Thank you.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Info added

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
info added

Are we nearly there yet?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm, looks like I don't have to do anything now smile------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.