Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Contact stalls and foot juggles...

Login/Join to Participate

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Fun things i've been working on recently...

Contact stalls: Stopping a spinning staff horizontaly on a body part and restarting it in the other direction. I found it when trying fishtails one time, i fishtailed to one side, stalled the staff, and then did a reverse fishtail back the other way. Theres other variations like if you're spinning anticlockwise in front of you, stall it on the back of your hand, then make it roll back over your wrist and stall it on the back of your hand again, or roll backwards over one shoulder, stall it on your back and roll back over the other shoulder. Then theres throwing the stick high, and catching it on the back of your hand so it stops dead horizontal in front of you which looks incredible.
Then i found you could stall it on your foot, so it stops dead level with the floor and about six inches above it and flick it back...

Which leads nicely into
Foot juggles: Catching the staff on your foot, and throwing it continuously. A bit like that game on California Games where you kicked the bag around, but using a stick. If you catch the staff right, you can roll it up onto your knee, onto the other knee and catch it on the other foot.
Me and a mate were trying to juggle the staff between us, which was a bit hard (particularly in the kitchen...)

Anyone been playing with these? I don't get to see many other staff people except martial arts type staffers who tend not to be impressed by contact and stuff. Although they did teach me some nice acrobatics.

--Ben

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
sounds amazing, how do u

quote:
Then theres throwing the stick high, and catching it on the back of your hand so it stops dead horizontal in front of you
without it hurting? i can only see much pain and brusing from such a move.

ive been playing with a stall reverse direction thingy

https://www.firetwirlers.com/lessons/staff/28

is the move ive been practising and when i get off center it stalls horizontally then i go back in the other direction

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ben-ja-men:
sounds amazing, how do u...

...without it hurting? i can only see much pain and brusing from such a move.

You don't get bruises cos you move your hand out of the way at the last minute, well, you make your hand move ahead of the staff, but still slowing it down...
When the staff first touches my hand, it's raised as high as i can reach. From there you've got a lot of room to move your arm and stall the staff. It's easier to stall/catch a high, slow rotating staff than a low quick one... a quick one needs to be caught out near the end, and then slide your hand towards the middle to control it, a slow one you can get closer the middle, as it's the spin that's harder to stop, rather than the fall. Also, if you can make the staff contact your fingers first, you've got a better surface to control the staff on.

--Ben

[ 03. November 2003, 07:37: Message edited by: tenticle ]

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Wow, wicked i've been playing with exactly the same things recently - i like the foot one tho, that's a brilliant idea - must try that tomorrow.
Also pinch-type-stalls and reverses are nice, e.g. neck/shoulder pinches.
Another nice variation is: a fraction of a second after catching it horizontally on a hand (at one end to make it go dead still) slide the hand really quickly into the middle of the staff and then go into tricks like globetrotter and other rolls ..

Mike

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
btw, i love that fire volley ball video on that site! What was used as the ball ???

mike

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
always good to hear nice ideas!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I've been working on some straight up balancing on the back of the hand transfer stuff. It looks really nice to go from stupidly fast spinning to a dead stop.

One thing i've been doing is hand stalling it then rasing above my head and spinning my body underneath the staff while it remains still.

Viva UGLY STAFF

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Maybe try some non spinning through the legs but it might just look bit messy if not done well.

sort of the oppesite of stalling, from the staff laying still on the back of the hand slide the hand down the staff then straight back to the center and into fish tails. prob looks shit but got a really nice feel to it.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
I like the spinning your body under the still staff thing, or letting the staff turn 180 as it goes over the head so you can restart in the same direction. I've been trying to do this on my right foot, by stalling it, jumping and turning 180 in the air with it balanced on the foot and stalling on the other side... only worked once, though.
More new stuff: Foot stalls into ankle fishtails. Continuously kicking a spinning staff on the left then the right foot, or left hand, right foot, right hand left foot. Foot throws, where you kick it into the air and the staff turns 360 rather than 180. And foot stalls from a throw (at least 360' spin). And like that hand roll, stall, roll back, stall thing, but around your foot. Only worked once properly, but it's easy to practice with a hand to make sure it makes it... Oh, and throwing the staff to have it land on the ground verticaly, then kick it back up in to the air...

So much more fun than just using your hands...

--Ben