[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

beggining to see a point commin where I dont have to use hands attall, humm.

Anyway the contact thread is huge now so Im startin another with thease sick-ass moves.

No hander catch (the Jedi):

throw the staff spinning vertically into the air, If the staff is spinning clockwise use your left arm, anti-clock use the right.

as the staff comes down you stick your arm into the middle of the spin and let the staff contact from the back to the front of the wrist, as it goes over the front you fold you arm into your body and catch the staff between forarm and bicep, centerpoint further towards the forearm. your palm should be open and vertical at 90 degrees to the body.

If you throw the staff infront of you you will kneed to make a half turn as you catch it but you can throw forward spinning rotors at the side of the body to make it easier.

From the end position there are a mryiad of tricks that link up.

turning crossshoulder flatspin:

bend sideways away from the staff as you sweep it round infron of you horisontally. so for example with the staff in the right hand the front sweeps around to the left and above your head as you bend sideways to avoid it, at this point it will contact on your shoulder and you turn 180 as it crosses to the other shoulder (duck!) and down the other arm, bit like a pivot turn but horisontal.

Other linkup moves have been described elsewhere, sweeping horisontally the other way goes into a flatspin on the back of the hand that can be brought down the arm and around the neck (shoud be possible to link this and the above in one continious flow).

you can pivot turn, go to the opposite shoulder and across the back, pass into the other arm and across the back, snap throw and jedi catch again.

yumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyum

one further no hander catch, high horisontal toss (but slow spinning), caught on the foot and stalled against the same leg (spred em!) and kicked up vertical with a club foot flick thingy.

Ha! hadda gettit out!

Went busking for the first time today, bit hot for it, new lump onna head, but good.

Minero, totness is a magnetic place and as soon as Ive made enough to get to edinburgh Ill be there. till then I best get some streaches done (dunno about all this jumping around stuff, bit like ballet ).

Have fun y'all, lumps are good for you.

Love

N

[ 17 July 2002, 03:49: Message edited by: Nix? ]

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey nix,
i got the COL3 tape and i was pleased to see that at least one of us represented the contact staffing. its a blast huh? keep it up and we will never need hands huh? anyways, i will post some stuff later today, its lunch time!!!

anyone got a light?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Dude Pozee, your gonna have to teach me some of those kick ass staff moves!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
no problem man...

anyone got a light?

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Hey Pozee,uh, can I watch the video with you someday ?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
fcufkfufkcufkcufkcfcuckf.....
If only I could understand all these words.

Maybe one day...
when I'm awake.

Big hello and smiles to all the contact crowd.
Nix, Pozee, rob, ....

I've got some ideas brewing, but I'm not going to put them into words, wait a few weeks (camera fix) and I'll post some little movie action.

Glass

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
25seconds no hands.....cheered me up no end yesterday but enough. on with normal business

doing a figure eight in front, then roll up your back from right hip to left shoulder, the staff should then come down on the inside of you left arm, turn 90 degrees to your left and you have opened up your body for just about any vertical contact move EXCEPT reverse nckrolls into foot catches and back up to neck catch.(oooohhhhh the things we try to do when drunk*scratches bruise on forehead*)
see you soon....all of you
R

brain replacement...anyone?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Those are some sik moves by the way Nix! I'm definitely going to give then a bash tonight.

BTW, are you going to be in Totnes next year? I'm going back to Plymouth in September for a year, we should hook up for a spin...

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, Ill be here, welcome to come through.

Hit myself a cracker yesterday, been doing the double thrown split (throw as one catch as two) with the staffs splitting sideways and catching inbeween them. The lesson for the day is Watch Both Sticks! missed breaking my nose by () much, oww, blood.

sorry bit off topic, anyone manage to get a consistent backspin to ride up the neck to a head spin? happens occasionally by acident but does anyone have any tips?

Nix?

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

YESSSS!

Sorry but I just gotta say that today (just now) I somehow managed the 540 shoulder pivot wrap.

hahahaha!

might have been something to do with the beer but it goes a little something like this:

staff comes forward into armpit, turn 180 and contactit bacwards onto your shoulder, turn 180 away from staff and again to go across the chest and again scross the back before catching in elbowgrip/armpit.

yum yum yum, he said.

N

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
favouritist new move.... not quite up there with 540 povots, but a little different...hehe

came as a result of trying to do an entire burn(approox 10 mins) with no hands, i got about half way thru then moved into a trick i have always used hands for, panicked and did sth amazing

back roll(anyway in you like is fine) right to left, let the staff drop down under your left armpit and catch on the back of your right hand btb. let the momentum take the end furthest from your hand round behind you, then lean back and do a chest roll.... poor explanation of the transition i know, but until i have done it a few more times i won't know.
then as the staff approaches your left hand, place the back of said hand under the handle of the staff, 1/2 fishtail out to the left and straight into elbow rolls L and R...(as beautifully described by tanessa in 'need help with baton?' thread.
eventually had to hold on after about 7 mins, but soon......
R

brain replacement...anyone?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I managed to do a helicopter spin on my back while I was bent over. The staff was spinning between my shoulder blades. And I managed a horizontal behind the back pass, by spinning on one forearm to the other. I got another one but it is VERY difficult to describe...

You pass the staff under your arm same side as hand holding it(long end goes first) and let go (lets say right side). it spins around your arm and rocks up. as one end reaches the appex, you step backwards and turn 90 degrees (counter clockwise, the staff will role around your kneck and then spin down your back, at whick point you catch it. (the spin reverses as you turn 180)

There ar many variations, especialy if you are just messing around, and seeing what will happen, but this requires fast reflexes

I also accidently started using just my kneck, and doing horizontal spins on my kneck and shoulders, several times around without touching the saff with my arms. you can catch the staff with your kneck and make it reverse directions. (your shoulder can help too)

And I like to wrap the staff on my back horizontaly (like from left hip to right shoulder, etc)

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey dudes! i must say i'm fairly impressed with ya wrap sequence in COL3 (no fire, daytime) before i saw that supah routine of really technical looking contact wrapping movements, i didn't think too much of contact twirling.
welldone!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

cheers bender,

santanatwo, I think thats a pivot wrap but starting from a diffrent way, gotta get on that.

I got the staff from the back of onehand (flatspin) down the arm, round the neck and onto opposite hand, did it on fire for the first time the day after, big rush.

Gonna post a zero-grip combo onna signature moves thread.

Rob man, chest rolls, what can I say? See you there?

N

-><- Kallisti

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Could anyone explain to me as simply as possible how to do a spin that starts on one side of my back and comes off the other, ? Ideally i would wish to know wot move goes into it. I've only been contact staffing for a while, but it definately seems to be the way foward.
Also I find myself doing moves and not knowing what thay are called in staffspeak.

[ 25 July 2002, 06:53: Message edited by: Wikkaman ]

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hi, sorry this took a while wikka, (nice sig, btw)

try 'New Contact stuff', ill bump it.

N

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hello all,

hadda wicked weekend with Minero and we have a bag of new tricks for you.

This one is a baton move (with some variations) but i think Ill keep it on this contact thread.

staff spins horisontal (clockwise as seen when the staff is abouve you)

at chest height infront of you place onto inside forarm.

raise abouve head and follow the staff around with your forearm, makes quite a pronounced circle.

staff will spin 360 round your upright forarm.

either let it come into the crook of the elbow or roll across upper arm and round neck.

can be done on both sides in both directions.

variation.

place staff on outside forarm, take above head as before.

this time as stff comes round bend arm and let it spin an extra half turn b4 catching or trasfering to other side.

variation 2

this trick can be done on the upper arm instead, but its a lot harder. its also possable to make it go round the arm multipule times.

its grerat fun to take it round one arm, pass infron, round the other arm across othe neck and start over, all with no hands!

cool huh?

N

-><- Kallisti