Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Beginner Staffer Would Like Some pointers and help

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I got some basic questions which might sound kinda dumb, but whatever.. You dont have to answer them anyways if you dont want to winkWhen I do the 360 spin, my hand that grabs it feels like it is "chasing" the staff to put it in the index/thumb groove. Is this how its supposed to feel, or am I doing something wrong?Is there a way to stop your hand from moving down the staff when doing a handwrap? (When I let the staff roll around the back of my hand my hand always ends up away from the middle)Im 5'4 and thinking of picking up some aluminum pipping to use for a staff.. what size would you recommend for two short staffs and a long staff?How long is the average time before most people start with fire and how many tricks should you have mastered before you do?How hot is it when doing the flaming staff?Thanks for your help everyone..Blessings to yaSponge------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Here in Denver there are several places that sell that type of leather striping, but as "somewheresville", Canada could mean a fancey loft in Toronto or some god forsaken shack half way to Alaska and 500 miles from any thing. So if you're close to a big city look in hobby/craft stores or for places that specialize in supplies specificly for leather craft (wallets, belts, ext.). Tandy leather sold stuff like this when they still had stores open here in Denver, but I seem to remember hearing that they still do sales online, so check their website if you can't find any thing close to you that has it. If Tandy doesn't have it there has got to be somewhere online that does.But, yeah, the wrap for the grip is very similer to the hockey stick wrap.

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Or you can always go Moose hunting

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. moose hunting eh?*ponders it for a sec*Nah.. then I would have to get a licence to hunt, and it would have to be hunting season... dont even know when that is.. and last but not least.. Its cold and Im lazy! lolCourse.. shooting guns are fun... hmmmm------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Cantus, looks like it didnt work.. Josh didnt take the bait. LOL.The angry face looks funny I just had to use it.Okay before I even say this.. let me state that I really dont like Backstreet Boys at all.I was thinking that their style of dancing might look cool for staffing. Expecially with a few people all doing it at the same time.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
Would Fingerless leather gloves work instead of grip? Like Driving gloves perhaps. Possibly cause unwanted friction but hey, I just don't know. Never tried it.I use a 5 foot broom handle. My girlfriend has a 4 foot fire staff but it is hers and she whinges if I use it. BOOM!

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

Hook's baneWill bite you (unless you tickle behind my ears)
188 posts

Posted:
Best not use it then eh?

...tick tick tick....

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't sillicon rubber work (like aquarium sealent). You must have seen the crazy cig lighters with spikey rubber bits. Heat proof, but I don't know how it'd react to fuels. Latex IS a pain. I was making a child-catcher nose for christmas and it poured in a perculiar way onto my trousers. Very bad.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
ah, latex stained trousers.... my constant bane. Some of my favourite pairs ruined by my carelessness when using latex.I wouldn't mind normally about stuff spilled on clothing but latex has an odd look when dry on clothing meaning you can't wear things out in public without looking like some kind of sex offender...... frown shocked------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
But what if you are some sort of sex offender? shocked j/k grinSince it has grown very cold out here, and my staff is metal, I actually have traded the grip on my staff for gloves, exept for wraps at the very ends to keep my hands from sliding into the wicks, and a narrow strip of duct tape marking the balance point.And it has been working pretty well, at that. With the exeption of the first fifteen minutes or so spent getting used to the fact that my hand were larger and less mobile. Now I spin for hours in the snow and my hands stay toasty, as opposed to before when I'd have to come outside for 20 minutes at a time because my hands kept going numb.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I tried that but mess up too much. I also tried with fingerless gloves. But way too much slippage....I do lots of fingerspins and don't actually grip the staff at all. When i spin I barely touch the staff (well I touch it but only lightly) so gloves are not an aid. They are deeply detrimental.

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Hey, its cold here too.. what type of gloves do you use.. mine are so bulky that I have trouble just holding the stupid thing, let alone spinning the thing.Would spinning fire help keep your hands warm in winter, or does it not make much difference?------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have two pairs of gloves that I spin in. One is a pair of cotton jersey gloves with the fingers cut off. These are the increadibly cheap, thin work gloves you can pick up at a gas station for a dollar or two. I spin in these the most. I also have a pair of fingerless leather gloves that I use some times but these are much thicker than the jersey so I use them less. The leather has a better grip, but I don't have any problems with my staff slipping anymore with the jersey. I think spinning in gloves just takes some getting used to.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Of course, I don't do very much finger spicific stuff, or palm spins, to speak of, so it probobly is much easier for me then for, say, Cantus.

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
Luckily I didn't spill the latex near my crotch, just from the knee down, So now I look like a well endowded sex offender. grin

Page: