AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yep - Elbow movesok - I go into them by doing a figure eight in my left hand, and as it comes across my body to the right side, I loop it down and then WRAP around the right elbow..at which point I pin it between my bicep and my forarm, release the left hand and its in position for fwd elbow stuff. The easiest thing I've worked out, that I can do almost everytime, is to take a step back and to the right with the left foot, pivot 180 degrees with the body while the staff is spinning in the crook of the elbow. then I snap my arm out straight (elbow down) the staff flys up in the air, and I can catch it and spinout normally with either hand.Slightly harder, get it going forward in the crook, do the body spin I said, and instead of pushing it out, let it elbow roll around the elbow and start falling to the ground, then just reach down with the same hand (as the crook it was in) and catch. done smoothly the whole move is nice and flowy smileThis is all I can do with it at the mo reliably. I'm working on catching rotor throws in the crook (not as hard as it sounds) and going from neck wraps to crook grips and moving between crook grips without touching it with my hands. I'm getting a lot of inspiration for this stuff from the guy who was on dave Letterman spinning a trident. I think there was a thread on this cuz thats where I got the movie. www.cubefx.com I think.Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
https://www.cubefx.com/video/trident.mov
grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I love what that guy can do with toys... I just get a tad turned off by the presentation... if ya know what I mean smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ok - so I give you my latest move, and no-one contributes anything in return??!?! frown winkcome on guys - get some elbow greese into it smileI want to know what you guys can do with elbow moves...Josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Flash - I don't have a clue what you mean. Please elaborate?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been drivelling on about my new stuff for days now. Just cos you're not impressed by it doesn't mean i'm not proud of it...

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Flash Fire, you mean he fact that nothing he does is really in time with the music, that he does the same series of 6 moves over and over (as rule I learned that when performing do no single move more than three times in a row otherwise you lose the audience)?Overall his skill is just damn amazing but his presentation lacks alot. His movements are stiff and not graceful nor fluid and his costume is, well, fallen into the same trap that many skill performers fall into where "Black makes me fade into the back ground and my tool stand out so I look better skilled". I think whoever directed him forgot to tell him it is about the full presentation, not just about what you can do with a stick. I really love what he does with the trident as a staff spinner but as a layperson I get bored watching after about 10 secs.Am I close Flash?And...if you check out his website you will get a real laugh. For the amount of ego the man displayed when he was on here...I have seen better jugglers on ice at my local rink! Though I do enjoy the cube effect thing, and always have since I saw the guy in Cirque Du Soliel with one. Still, I love the trident moves and have much respect there.Josh, I put mine in the other staff section and I didn't get answers either frown Don't feel lonely. What he was doing was alot more rolls and popping motions than I thought you were talking about. I thought you were talking about fig 8 moves done in the crook of your elbow. It's all very cool and now that makes me wonder about further possibilites!Cheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo josh, I got one for ya...as with yours firure eight up under the right (or left) arm and let it roll around the bicep. If you angle stick and arm right (not as hard as it sounds) the stick rolls as it spins down the arm for an easy catch 3/4 along the stick, from here you can then swin back under and roll it over the shoulder.Happy tricking!NiX

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey all!the one thing that I think that dude needs to tighten up is his footwork. With solid flowing footwork his performance would look far more polished and professional.Cantus, I was referring to elbow grip moves. They really arent hard and so I had an expectation that there would be ppl here in cyberland that could do all sorts of amazing stuff. Those moves I wrote are beginners stuff, so I was surprised at the lack of feedback .I've been loving all the staff stuff - and I have to say that it really seems to have taken off (especially the doubles stuff) since you have been contributing. Far from not being impressed dude! Charles cant hold it on his own (no matter how hard he tries grin)Josh

CubeFXstranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone!First of all, English is not my native language, so please forgive me... ;-)Josh, what type of staff does you using? It will be easier to practice with bigger and heavier staff. I started to practice with "trident" in 97 for about 6 month and then got bored (by the way, this thing is hurting as hell, when I was practicing I constantly having bruises). This video was taken on one of the rehearsals by my dad. Original video is about 4 minutes long and got more staf, like acrobatic, single and double pole twirling. You can’t hear it on the video, but when I spin “trident” it create a loud noise which changes tones depending on trick and speed.I agree with FLASH FIRE and PELE that this presentation is unfinished. I was never intended to perform this routine on public and video on my web site is just to show what else I can do besides the CUBE (same is about the FIRE). (-: PELE don’t be so sarcastic about the FIRE... This Video is from FAIRY TALES show (they needed Evil Fairy do something with fire and they put rubber mask on my face so I will not be able to see anything or breath...lol).My main act is CUBE, which I performing for the past ten years. I was born in a circus family and for me it’s natural to practice different things all the time. Juggling, fire eating, acrobatic, lasso, bullwhips, pole twirling, free ladder, and many more. Right now I’m more in a bullwhips and everything what related to the fire. Maybe one day I will take my “trident” and finish what I started a couple years ago….;-)If anyone is interested I can post my rehearsals videos of POLE TWIRLING, FIRE STAFF and FIRE JUGGLING (four and five torches). Let me know….On November 15, I will upload FLASH version of my site, with new photos and videos.Good Luck and happy practicing… ;-) Aydar (CUBE)https://www.cubefx.comDesign for Performing Artistshttps://www.cubefx.com/design

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi,I'd really like to see your rehersal videos for pole and fire staff.I really like your cube twirling, and am considering building one for myself when I get the money together. I think under UV light the cube would look even more magical.Is it possible to twirl Cubes that are smaller than the one you are twirling in the above video?Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Josh, I'm sorry for being paranoid all the time. I just assume people are being nasty to me. I had a sh!itty childhood and sometimes it's hard (even after all this time) to throw off those preconceptions.I used to do loads of stuff like that elbow grip et al when i first started. Then i had some lessons off this deranged Kiwi juggler/staffer, started visiting HOP and bought Bec's book.All positive learning tools. But I have lost a lot of the spontaneity and rawness from my performance since then.I'm soon to begin implementing a plan that will hopefully bring some of it back tho grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo peeps,havin a go today, didnt get the wrap around the elbow (cant catch it) but i dicovered that i could roll it down from the helecopter whilst turning my body, catch in the crook and then flick out into a hellecopter trow and continue. tried to get it to figure eight but just hit myself inna head. Maybe I kneed bigger biceps?Nix?

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Elbow grip virgin = CharlesI can't do any of this, and haven't tried coz its been raining non-stop for ages frownbut, How can you do a HELICOPTER throw with your elbow, surely it would be ROTOR instead?I can't imagine making my elbow (which i can dislocate during a performance if there aren't too many kids around...) throw the staff above me in a horizontal spin???What aspect of this have I forgotten???------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
the spin starts horisontal in the first place, slides down the arm, is carried round by the body and kept when the staff pops into the air.any better(it raining like #### here too!)

-><- Kallisti

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
CubeFX,First of all your English isn't that bad at all.Secondly my family saw that fairy tale performance on ice at the Gardens in Fla. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I was giving my honest opinion, it wasn't meant meanly, just honestly. I am sorry if it came across that way.I think most of use would be interested in seeing your rehearsal videos. If you cared to post them many of us would be grateful.To anyone else interested...I am doing alright at getting devil stick style stuff down with the staff but it tends to hurt like hell after practicing awhile!My best to all------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 09 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK