Zelismember
9 posts

Posted:
I was playin around with flags with my gf this weekend and was looking at the way flags moved thru the air and whatnot while spinnin them and couldnt help but think how cool they would look if they were on fire. I was wondering if anyone here has tried spinin with flags set ablaze and if anyone had any ideas on how to make flags that would burn for a long enough duration to actually twirl/spin. any assistance would be greatly appreciated ^^.

-Zelis

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=230&cat=230&path=230

Those should give you some ideas.

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Fire Flags you say?

A girl I'm teaching about fire spinning is on a drill team at her school and asked about it. All it is really is a fire staff with fire on one side... but alot of it... like atleast 8" of wick... which is nutty .. hehe but fun!!

Oh sweet! they added a spinny guy...

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
No, no, it's fire flags, plural, just like normal flags, but on fire

I'm planning to use 2 pairs of jeans for mine, when I finally get around to making them.
I reckon if I sew the waists up, attaching handles (with some chain between the trousers and the handles) and a bit of weight at the same time, I can soak the whole lot in fuel and light up.

The only problems I forsee are the weight of them when fully fueled and that they'll be burning pretty damn hot, so I'm not even going to think about burning them without a couple of safeties.
They should be fun though

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I see two problems with fire-flags:

1. Burning the shit out of yourself as you twirl them.
2. Very short burn time. My guess is that most of the surface area will burn out in less than a minute, with the trailing edges lasting a little longer.

Apart from that, sounds great.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Zelismember
9 posts

Posted:
Thx for the help all....ill post back if i happen to come across something ^^

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Yeah I can't remember who suggested this to me - but I reckon it's a wicked idea!

Adam - the yellow flame might burn out quick...but I reckon the best bit of fire ropes (for example) is the blueflame burn you get... a huge blue flame would be beautiful!

Big fire is scarey...but after a while you need to up the ante to get that rush again...Bovril you gotta be the king of this! I ani't ever seen such crazybig poi!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Actual fire flags would be impossible... At least good ones.

If you used jeans as Bovril suggested, they would be entirely too heavy to spin like normal flags when soaked in fuel. They wouldnt have the flowing look like normal flags even if you could spin them. The flames and heat coming from them would be intense. AND they're cotton which would have burning shmegma raining all over.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I have built a single flag for my friend Chris. It weighs a ton and the fire is huge. I have some huge poi which I'll post as soon as they let me. The good news is that it will look as cool as hell, the bad news is that you'll probably die. the heat off the single flag Chris uses usually burns some hair off his face each time and it's about 5' away from him. It was supposed to be the precoursor to fire flags spun like poi, but one third degree burn is enough for me thanks. Try it if you like, but be able to bail quick and have good fire extinguishers manned and ready.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Knoxious:
Yeah I can't remember who suggested this to me - but I reckon it's a wicked idea!

ME ME ME!!!!! I suggested that, but you were probably too stoned here in Amsterdam to remember .
but yeah Zelis, I've been playing with that idea as well, and I reckon that the best way to go about it is order a role of thin keflar rope and knot it into a weave-matt with large holes. this would keep the weight and the heat down a bit...
put a handle with 360 degree swifle on one side and a weight on the other. should do the trick!

(please PM me when you have made your first attempt, I'd love to be updated on this. but please be carefull!!!!!!!!)

eric pOpsteric.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I think I may have a slightly better idea...perhaps if you attatched about 4 kevlar ropes evenly spaced along the top of the pole it would work. Fire rops already give off a flag-ish look......

Always Beautiful

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I've seen a fire flag - sheet of kevlar on the end of a metal pole. Looked good, nothing amazing tho, for about 20 seconds before it went out.

I reckon there's better fire props to spend your time building.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Ok, granted, this post has been abandonned ofr ages but whatever, it's relevent.
Flipmodius wants to make a fire flag that is sorta like a hybrid of the two types mentioned here. He wants a staff, with and actual flag of kevlar at one end, like a big "flowing" (i don't think kevlar really flows) rectangle.
Somehow it doesn't sound very safe to me, but then how much really is safe?
Any ideas?

P*L*U*R

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Sounds really neat looking. The main problem is getting it to burn for any length of time. You can't fit much liquid into a thin sheet of not-so-absorbent material like kevlar.

I can think of some pretty complex designs that might yield some better burn times, but I don't think they would be worth the time, and could possibly be so heavy that they just wouldn't be practical or work right. Being part of staff also copmlicates things, because it's more difficult to prevent wind up. What kind of device could be implemented to keep the flags from wrapping around the staff? Such a device might be pretty difficult, since the flag has to flow behind the staff, unless the spinner only spins one direction, it will have to be able to swivel at least 180 degrees around the staff in order to flow behind it in al directions/planes.

I could be wrong, but that seems like the main hang ups with that idea. it would be awesome looking in you pulled it off though.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've made a fire flag. There is one problem you don't really forsee untill you make one and that's heat. I made one for Chris Briganti (see my gallery for him and the testie) it's about 25"x16" and he spins it on a chain. The heat generated from that much surface area and fire is enough to burn his gotee from 3-4 feet away. For that reason the burn time is only about 30 seconds (white gass), but trust me that's all you need. It's like putting a large campfire on the end of a chain and spinning it arround. Makes audiences really uneasy for that 30 seconds, but then they cheer. smile

If your going to make one, build your way up to it. Ask yourself if you have ever had to set down a fire prop because you got too hot from it's generated heat.

I'll post pictures soon. smile

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I just posted pictures to my gallery, I think they are still in recent uploads. And that's just one flag. Anybody want to try two? your gonna need an aluminum turnout suit to do it in though. wink

Cody Canon

GraYmember
10 posts

Posted:
Damn Cody, thing is huge! And what's up with that canonball, it's the same size as your head. How much does it weigh? You only use the one?

Zelis- flags work as they do because they are light and flowing. I don't think you'll find a suitable fabric with the smae properties that make kevlar so suitable, however, Cody's fire FAN might give the desired effect (triangular shaped, sheet of flame).

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The Canonball is about the size of a basketball, it weighs about 6lb, 7-8 when soaked. Just Look at Chris, he's a sturdy boy who's been spinning that thing since 2001. The flag weighs, ...well,..... ALOT more. I had to add weight to the leading edge in order for it to spin true. Try like 17lb when soaked. Sooo that plus the heat is why he only spins one. wink Damn impressive though. You can feel the heat from a distance.

Come to Burningman and find us at the Fire conclave camp and experience it for yourself. biggrin

Cody Canon