Page:
Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
*** disclaimer-type-thing ***

I do not recommend this design to anyone - it is provided as inspiration and as an idea to develope. As you can see from the other pics on the page, THESE TOYS ARE NOT SAFE. Don't even think about trying a similar design unless you are very experienced.

*** disclaimer-type-thing over ***

https://www.firedanceuk.com/ouch.htm

The wick got destroyed after about 2 burns, so now we have a bit of rope secured around the outside of the cage. The wick lasts a lot longer that way, and you get less of a molten metal build up. Also, the cage came off after a while and is now wired on rather than electrical-taped on (should have known that would happen... )

If any of you ignore my advice at the top of this post and make something like these, then please gimme some feedback about how it goes and any design alterations that worked.

Here's a vid of them in action:
https://www.firedanceuk.com/videos/Black_Bush_Jo_high.wmv

please right click and 'save target as'

Cheers.
Jo.

[ 11. September 2003, 21:40: Message edited by: Jo ]

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
lolsign
arent you a cheeky bloke.........

if i ever get around to it ill post how i made my cages..i get around a 3-5min wool burn

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DenGadGOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
I joined so late that I've never seen the old pictures.

Any chance for a new one?

I would like to make a couple of cages and practice a _lot_ with

them before actually putting wool in them, and even then I'd

probably stick to a simple 3-beat weave for some time smile

I would very much like to not make the same design mistakes

that you've already corrected, but trying to imagine the cages

from the comments is too hard for me.

I'm personally not surprised that the thread lives... sparklepoi

just looks _too_ nice for me not to try it, but I fully realise that

it's a huge step up in danger from a simple burning wick.

Any advice, save for forget it or don't do it, is very much appreciated smile

/Dennis
EDITED_BY: DenGad (1124096227)

DenGadGOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
No comments so far...

Well, I'll throw in a more direct question..
I am assuming that the bottom of the cages is wire mesh not matter is all of the cage is or you have solid sides.
I would like if someone could post measurements of the mesh they use; wire diameter and holesize, to get an idea of what works best.
I also assume that if you use solid sides you would have a distance with mesh sides at the bottom to allow increased airflow to the wool that is at he very bottom.
If so, how long?

/Dennis

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
And since no one wanted to post new pictures I took some. These are not the blackbush poi, as I don't like whiskey enough to buy 2 bottles to make poi out of.

Instead these are made from coffee cans. Not the big fat ones, the slightly smaller ones. The wire is just chicken wire I picked up at Home Depot. Had to buy a whole roll but just used the rest for an anti-cat-escape fence on my back deck. wink I used a thick coat hanger on the end to attach the handles to, which are of course your average dog chain from the pet store. Were the wire starts to curve off the can, i poked holes around in the can and used utility wire to attach wire to can so it doesn't fly apart. To make the curve I had to cut out chunks of the chicken wire and form a dome and wire it all together.

37138wirewoolpoiclose
The setup, they are roughly 8 inches long from the top of the can to the bottom of the wire, and about 4 inches wide.

37138wirepoihandle
This is the end of one of them, you can see i had to poke holes through the can to attach the hanger, and your standard link to attach the chains. I have the wire bent over inside the can to it doesn't snag on anything.

37138wirepoidown
This is looking down into them, you can see about the size holes I have used.

I have noticed packing the wool differently has an effect on how long they burn, if you break it up (fluff it), not just shove chunks of it in, it seemed to make for a better and longer show (something around 45 seconds to a minute).

The only thing that would be better is if they where a bit heavier, you have to work a little harder to make the sparks fly. Pretty easy to reload as well (after they have cooled off of course).

And finally
37138danfirewire
In action biggrin biggrin

Any questions let me know.

"Runs with Scissors"

Page: