ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I got some elctroglo poi for christmas from my gorgeous wife Lucky me (thanks for the speedy delivery Malcom)

The problem I am having is thet they are a lot lighter than the poi I normally use. I plan to add some extra weight to them.... not sure how yet, possibly with little 'beanie bags'.
I am curious to know how other elecroglo owners have weighted their poi.... if at all.

Merry christmas

[ 29. December 2002, 14:12: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

So much fire, so little body hair...

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I don't have a pair of electroglo(Though they're on my agenda for the year to come)but I do have two ideas for adding weight.
1.Change the cords if that's what you have on them.I have noticed when spinning glowsticks that using the ball chain rather than string makes them feel heavier.Plus you get more resistance.
2.If you're feeling really saucy get two more electroglo and make double electroglo poi.
Sorry if I wasn't any help but I thought I should throw those in there.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I originally bought my beamers and electroglo's at the same time and used the beamers to weight the electroglo's.

Unless you like pain then I dont suggest anyone else tries this!!!! (although I was told it looks pretty cool, you are not too far away from concussion!)

Try som beanies or something, they have a nice little split ring with which you could attach virtually anything so have a go (something nice and uv active recomended )

Mark P
It is Christmas afterall

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
they are seriously light you're right. However, I bought mine to use whilst drunk (fire + alcohol is bad) and in clubs, where I will most likely be drunk too! In this situation the lightness is quite a good thing, if they hit they just bounce off and no one notices. If you do an unintentional air wrap, again you can pull them appart and if they come out flying directly for your head you arn't going to get a concussion.

Due to their construction if you were to replace the chain, you'd need to thread some wire through them much like the wire does already, otherwise there is nothing keeping them attached.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
oh and if you're using them in a club, there's always going to be munted people walking into you. The lighter the object that smacks them the better

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I was planning to add a little weight to mine by putting some washers on the ends, but I've not got around to finding any the same width as the tube.

Also - if you plan on replacing the cable, the stuff you replace it with doesn't really need to be looped back up like the cable, just as long as it's got some kind of stopper at the end.
Mine currently have paracord running through them with a monkey fist knot at the end.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ECCOmember
30 posts

Posted:
try going to a fishing tackle shop. they have a load of weights for things liek bite alarm that you can slide or clip on at the end, alternatively attach a weight to the ring at the ends of the poi, found that helps. you'd be amazed at how much stuff you can use for poi making from a good old tackle shop, maybe once upon a time fish did poi so they're connected. now there's an intriguing thought....
anyway its a thought

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Thanx for all the tips people.

I tried hanging things off the split rings at the end... but I didn't like the extra length. So what I ended up doing was replacing the platsic cap on the bottom end with a 25mm rubber chair stop with a washer glued on it. The cable feeds through the stopper and washer, and tyhe split ring stops it going anywhere.

See picture below.

Non-Https Image Link

This made a huge difference to the swinging weight..... Much better .... Oh and I added leather finger nooses for that more secure feeling.

[ 29. December 2002, 14:11: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

So much fire, so little body hair...

Walking_Corpsemember
6 posts

Posted:
dunno, never had that problem (electroglow's are a bit heavier than I like to spin with)

but then again, i got some poi made out of UV-reactive pom-poms and i spin flags as well....

In order to preserve our sanity during the day, we must go insane every night...

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Throw some glowsticks in them. Looks really awesome if the colour are different too. One of my electro pois is red and the other is green. Throw in two blue glowsticks and the red one goes blue fades into purple and then fades into red. The green one fades from blue to green of course. mmmmm...what colour would go better with green I wonder *scratches head* ??? Red maybe?

Looks good plus it adds extra weight. Of course it's a non-permanent solution since glowsticks can be expensive.

Om Namah Sivaya

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
oooooooo - pretty idea with the glowsticks

I dopn't have anything helpful to contribute but I had to come and ' ' at Mark P.

ARE YOU MAD?? electroglows AND beamers???

I find the electroglows hurt enough when they hit you (light=fast=hurty!) and beamers are possibly the most brutal things ever invented. And you go and put the two most dangerous toys in the world together???

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank