Forums > Technical Discussion > Hair Lengths and Fire Safety

Login/Join to Participate

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Hey All,
OK I have a question for everyone. When it come to fire twirling does anyone put anything special in their hair or wear something?
I'm have fairly long hair and I was wondering what everyone does to make sure that their head doesn't go *whoosh* like lighter fluid in a hibachi grill.
Now I imagine that you can either slick it back with regular water or something like that, but I figured that many people here have tried that and found something better.

I know that a few women and men on these boards have contemplated this dilemma more than once. I could only imagine if you had really long hair or dreads what your prep work must be like.

Tell me what you do to protect your head and eyebrows and what not.

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
There's been discussion about this before, so a search may uncover more answers. I wear a hat, and most people with long hair seem to. Water evaporates very quickly when in contact with a lit wick, so I wouldn't trust it. Gotta protect those golden locks!

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
I have a little hat,
I wear it on my head.
I try to wear it all the time,
except when I'm in bed.

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
trying to protect your hair is a lost cause. shave it all off now.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
In the uk you can get a hat thing called a 'Buff' from outward-bound type shops. Its a tube of cotton that you twist in various ways to make different hats and costs about a £5.

Get one and use it like a beenie! Totally skin tight and made of cotton so it shouldnt burn too badly!

Gruff

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
i Use water and slick my hair back without problems, usually in braids, twists, and low buns. The hair products Pomade and hair mud also work well, but require much washing after the fact. Bandana, wraps, hats all work as well. There are many options, you just have to figure which is right for you.
Oh, if you are choosing water, a good thing to note is to keep a spray bottle of water with you. Before you light up, spray your hair down. It'll last through a spin.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Kewl,
Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably try most of them and let you know wich ones work best for me.

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This goes under the category of "duh" but it bears repeating:

DO NOT USE HAIRSPRAY OR ANY OTHER HAIR PRODUCT BEFORE SPINNING FIRE.

In fact, make sure that you have washed your hair before spinning to get any such products out.

Personally, I just keep my hair buzzed.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SilverEyesmember
45 posts

Posted:
I've seen lots of discussion on this, but I haven't seen anyone mention this stuff, so I will. The product is called Action Fire Jel; I've used it, as have other members of the troupe I was with at the time, and I will recommend it highly. While it will not completely prevent burns, it will protect you from glancing burns, flash ignition of skin, and does a marvelous job of protecting the hair. Smells a bit like lavender oil, but actually does a fine job of conditioning the hair in hot weather, in addition to it's intended benefit.

Action Fire Jel - Skin and Hair-Safe

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I usually wear a hooded jumper (hoodie) when i spin. i just put my hood up and tuck my hair in. as it's all made of cotton it doesnt burn easily. and it's simple.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
just to let you all know, DREADS ARE FIRE RESISTANT!! DREAD OR DIE!! just some crunchies on the outside, but the middle stays creamy, even in milk. ALL FIRE DANCERS MUST GO DREAD NOW!!! OR SUFFER THE WRATH OF THE FIRE GODESS!!! WOOOOHAAAA!!!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
arashi, you might have magic dreads, but mine are most definately not fire restistant. And I just wanted to say thanks to Pele for the suggestion of a spray bottle of water for your hair - tried it during the week, and it was fantastic - thanks mate

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, of course i mean when they are sprayed with water. plus i'm just bein goofy doofy

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.