Page:
Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
what are flags? what sort of things can be done with them? how can they be made? and lastly this may be a stupid question but is there such a thing as fire flags? please give me an idea about these as at the moment i have none. thanks. Rain.

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Hey Rain,If you're into looking like a beautiful faerie creature, flags are for you. They are rectangles of silk (or similarly strong and lightweight material) with weighted cord sewn into the hem along two joining sides. The cord goes about half way donw the shorter side and three quartes of the way down the long. You grip at the beginning of the cord on the short side. When spun, the weight of the cord on the long side makes the flags flare out like wings. You can do alot of the same moves as with poi but there's one thing to keep in mind; they will twist up if you try to do repetetive circles with them. Hence butterflies are pretty much out. They look equally amazing spun slowly as quickly, and when they hit you, it doesn't hurt (!). Also, when they are going slowly, you can run them over your arms and head and they feel as niec as they look. Hope this helped.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
thanks for the detailed responce Dangerboy i will be soon trying to make some. there is still one thing that i dont understand though. is the flag attatched to a pole or is it more like poi where it is attatched to a cord? thanks again. Rain.

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
oh and another thing. what sort of size am i looking at for the flag.

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
I've seen some with poles attached, but the kind I play with don;t have them. They just look like rectangle of material with the curtain weight cord sewn along the two edges. The grip is where the cord begins halfway up the short end. There are no handles or anything, you just hold onto the side of the flag. As to size, that's totally a persoanl matter. Mine are probably 3.5-4ft long on the long size and 2.5ft long on the short side, and they are considered big (and I'm pretty long in the limbs too). I think a good marker for size is that they should barely touch the grund when hanging at your sides from your normal grip.Goo' luck------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
One of the juggling places online has fire flags. Basicaly it's two widths of kevlar on the end of the pole, I'd us a 5-6 foot pole, use two widths of wicking like Malcom sells for staff attatched like a staff. Then just twirl away!-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
flags with poles and flags without are two very different thing, methinks. ------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

werkerbee007member
1 post

Posted:
I make flags and I am developing fire flags but it has been difficult finding a light enough material. I am referring to the poleless flags. I have also made flags with holes which allow full revolutions which would normally require a grip release and catch. Flags are big in the circuit party circles. Circuit parties are like raves but for boys mostly. The gay community have some amazing flaggers. So if you get the opportunity to check out a boys nite club you are bound to see some flagging.------------------

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Flags make a lovely alternate toy when fire cannot be used. I have run into days at faire when fire is simply out of the question...so we are making flags with a fire pattern on them. That way the crowd will still be able to see something fire-esque and very beautiful that won't make liars out of us wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I checked my flags fabric at the local Wal-Mart. It is actually 100% Polyester, see through thin and very silky like. It sells for about $2.97/yard USD. Mine are just over 2 feet long and 1 1/2 wide. I use cotton/silk cordning that sels in the same department for $.97/yard USD. The polyester works well because it is inexpensive and you can run the edges through a candle and "melt" a seem into them where as with silk or satin gyou would ave to sew a hem which might weigh down the flow.I also use this fabric for juggling scarves.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Gordomember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey, this may be a dumb question, but do you have to be gay to flag. The only sites, I've found are run by gays...So I dunno.And how do you learn to flag? It seems that flaggers aren't all that keen on other people learning "their" skill...SO how are you meant to pick it up?ThanxGordo

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
No you don't have to be gay to spin flags. If you can spin poi, you can spin flags. You actually can do butterflys just only one beat of them, and you have to turn or else it gets tangled. It's more like a thread the needle than a butterfly tho.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
What am I, chopped liver? I just posted a strand on Flags. We even touched upon the derivation of flags from the gay community and what exactly it is.I've also had quite a welcoming to the flag community. Perhaps you just met a non-social flagger.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I personally love flagging at "raves", vs. circuts. I feel kind of like I'm a pioneer in the art, spreading it to new groups. Under blacklights, most ravers love them (for a good reason), and I get props for using something interesting they've never seen before.

DaRk aBeRmember
19 posts

Posted:
I really want to get into flag it would really be cool to learn something new since i cant really advance in poi anymore!

JÅMé§ §HéÞÅ®Ðisarangheyo@netzero.net

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been tempted by them for a while now. I might get some made soon.One thing worries me tho. Do I need to be able to do poi to spin them? As I can't! I tried on several occassions and each time they tried to kill me shocked. So eventually we (the poi and I) agreed to each go our seperate ways and never speak of it again....Will this be a problem?------------------C@ntus

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
dark saber... cant advance in poi anymore? are your arms broken or something? you can always advance in poi

anyone got a light?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Maybe dark saber has gut stuck in a rut...------------------C@ntus

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As no one has responded to my inquiry. I shall just go and get some made. But if they try and kill me I'll be back here to shout at you lot.....------------------C@ntus

Meh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Trust me there's always something to learn in poi. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
In my experience it's usually when to duck.------------------C@ntus

Meh

DaRk aBeRmember
19 posts

Posted:
no pozee, my arms arent broken, its just my poi skills are starting to degenerate. Its like i am starting to suck all over again frown!i just cant get any better at poi with glows or fire. which really sux because i am supposed to be in the talent show for my school frown

JÅMé§ §HéÞÅ®Ðisarangheyo@netzero.net

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
check out this site on fire flags. it is a combination that i had never dreamed of before. wink now if only this flag group could meet with the gay flaggers community and spin together, the world would be a better place. https://www.expressionsofpraiseandworship.com/fire_flags.html

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i did a little flag dancing last night, man that is fun. the moves are like an interesting combo of poi and fans. out curiosity has anyone made fire flags yet?i tried to do a search on it but the computer i am using is quite moody at the momment.i saw the juggling site with fire flags on a pole, those looked cool, what about fire flags minus the pole?

Khrismember
1 post

Posted:
Can anyone give me some advise as to if it's possible to do a Weave like using Poi, but using flags. Because flags get twisted up when you spin them in repetitive circles, doing the typical Weave doesn't work. You could do a 3 beat Weave using flags if you do a release and catch on the 2nd spin on each side therefore not twisting the flags.Any help anyone? I see in the video by DangerBoy that he kinda does a Weave type thing above his head but I can't really tell how he's moving.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I have a hellaciously grin big set of uv active dayglow flags that I spin all the time at parties. They draw quite a reaction. Unfortunately, they fabric weighs too much, and I don't have enough weight in them, so they don't like to go very fast. The material that I currently have my eye on is kind of like a super lightweight spandex. But it is $25 a yard, so it will have to wait for a little while.No, you don't have to be gay to flag. I actually picked it up from a group of riot grrrls at Myrtle Beach (One of the more popular beaches on the east coast) over the summer. Some of them were Candy kids, and some of them were strippers, and none of them would let me hold their flags! I finally got to use some by the end of the summer, and found out that they are a bit of a different ball game than poi.Khris, to spin these things, you have to constantly transition between weave moves. If you spin a flag one way 2 or 3 times, reverse it and spin it back out. But not necessarily at once. I am starting to open up a lot of moves with thes things. They play similar fashion as using a meteor, or rope dart, except instead of being almost constantly in the process of wrapping around body parts, they are being twisted up. I might spin them around for a bit, then start them twisting in and out to do more complex moves. It is definitely something you have to learn to control. Poi is usually "follow, follow, follow, follow, follow, break-Bfly, bob, bob, bob, wrap, follow, etc." To get good use out of flags, you have to teach your hands to move independently of each other. Hope this helped, or at least didn't confuse you too much. ------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
i've hooked up with a group of flaggers here in sydney for the mardi gras parade, and tho most of the moves they do i already knew, they have tought me a few tricks. the first is how to spin repetitive circles, and therefor be able to do weaves, albeit in a limited sense. my normal grip was a bit of a solid fist grip, but if you pinch the flag between only your thumb and forefinger, you can do spins without tangling them over your fists (the flags will twist near your grip, but they still flare out). so therefor you can so up to five weave repetitions before moving to backwards weave to untangle them. you can also do btb stuff. another nice spin move is to just spin them at your side for four of five beats, then cross them over and unspin them with your arms crossed infront of you.another good tip was how to untangle them if you do lose it. all you do is shift to the pinch grip, and "walk" your fingers up past the twist in the flag. the twist will then instantly undo itself. don;t know it that made sense, but it does work.lastly, when flagging, try to keep your wrists as close together as possible when your hands aren't doing seperate things (think of being in handcuffs). this makes everything look a lot smoother.hope that helped. ------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Funny how things work really. I had put my flags away for awhile in the autumn, and in truth, they had slipped from my mind. I found them the other day while going through my props box and thought I'd make a new set (as I don't like the look of the old ones anymore) and was planning on giving it another go.I come on here and poof! The thread had been revived. Karmic? Maybe, either way it is a nice kick in the arse! smileThanks for the tips Dangerboy, as always you are a source of inspiration, information and joy! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Hey there. I thought that this would be somewhat relevant. I was at a party a couple of weekends ago with my flags (among other things) and one of the people from this site was there with a digi camera. He took a couple of shots of me during the time I had the floor cleared, unbeknownst to me. They aren't great shots, but here they are if you want to check them out.BIG SHOUT OUT TO FRODUS!!! grin grinCheck it out!Flag pic 1Flag pic 2Flag pic 3Flag pic 4Flag pic 5Once again, thank you Frodus! I am in several more of the pix, if anyone wants to check out the rest of the gallery.------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the shout outthat was a great partyKEOKI was actually soberand spun a great setsee you at spacegirl/monk Jacob!

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I made a set of flags b ut i don't think i made em right because they never seemed to twist up on me. I got some fabric and sewed some heavy ball chain into it on 1 end ,but nothing on the other end... They flared out nice, and allowed me to do 5 beat weaves, quad corks etc. Still they weren't nearly as cool looking as Danger boys flags.

We are defined by the choices we make

Page: