Page:
Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
what are flags? what sort of things can be done with them? how can they be made? and lastly this may be a stupid question but is there such a thing as fire flags? please give me an idea about these as at the moment i have none. thanks. Rain.

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
*catches pele's kiss and slaps it firmly on cheek (you decide which set. teehee)*my flags thank you for the compliments. i guess the fact that thay're made from sentient fabric especially imported from my homeowrld makes them a litte more responsive and easier to spin. actually, they were made by a best friend's boyfriend's mother. i'd never met the woman, but she put a lot of hear in them. after a year and a half of abuse, they are only now starting to show any real wear (though they will never truly be clean). i'll try and shoot some vid of the silver ones we're going to be using for the mardi gras parade. they look choice.if people want, i can post the sewing instructions and measurements for making an official set of Marching F(l)ags flags. just say the word...------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
the word. smile

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
guys, please help me with this question:im hopeless at making things, so i want to buy a pair of flags. However, the flags ive seen ready made are different from the ones people describe. people tend to describe making the square ones with weights down tqwo edges. the ones ive seen for sale are "normal" old flags, but with a chain instead of being on a flag pole. u then spin them with the chain, presumably like poi with very very big comet tails.are these two types of flags the same once u start spinning them? should i go for one type over the other? why oh why couldnt everyone have the same flags and save me these headaches?any help whatsoever would be greatfully appreciated!cheers!------------------Flame on!

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I was thinking I wanted to make a flag staff war axe thingy! It would have four flags (two on each end) It would revolve on the ends so that one flag (most likely the larger one) would always be at the end, that way you would be less likely to hit yourself. And having that on both sides I thought would be pretty cool... would it work I wonder.. oh well another project for when I have some extra dough.. *sigh* smileBTW hi to everyone again havent been here in forever.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
come on then dangerwordwordword...........i have to say my curiosity is much aroused..

PurplePanmember
7 posts

Posted:
To combat the tangling problem...Couldn't you attach a swivel to the area that you would normaly grip and then some sort of short "handle"? Or would that not work very well?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yes, this is what we've done in London.Attach a swivel to the flag (with a loop attachment behind the weights and stitch for strength) and use a keyring split ring as a handle as it's lighter, short and allows throws.

Trebormember
1 post

Posted:
howdy from the lone star state.i have danced with extensions of the body for years.my arms and legs just are not enough.have been reading your site for sometime and just joined.i am a flagger.glad to see a possible expansion here for flagging.it has become quite popular here in the states and has crossed social boundries. the best material for flags is china silk.it is easy to dye and floats on the breeze with little effort.weighting is a basic formula that really needs to be adapted to and by the individual.you can get some very flourecent colors to dye with that really "pop" under blacklites.there are as many different ways to make flags as there are flaggers.go for it!will share as much advice as anyone desires------------------The trick is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

The trick is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Welcome aboard! Any knowledge is greatly appreciated!------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
my flags are a cover that i slip over dead glosticks with a meter long triangle made out of an orange towel with reflactive duct tape on it. works good but i am thinking of making metal glostick type things to use instead of glosticks to give it some more weight. i have a swivel type deal that lets me to butterflys for a few seconds before my chains tangle. i use dog chains though, so using bathtub chain ( o-o-o-o ) type stuff myte fix that

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

crazee_daisymember
2 posts

Posted:
hey hey hey

possibly my first post here...well orange sent me here, says to say a big hiya to all you guys aswell

well, have never flagged, but saw someone at bristol last year and agayne in brighton at the bjc and decided to make some. not sure if theyre going right yet or not but im confused as to which corner the handle goes in. gonna try and finish them today and have a go out in the garden so if someone could give me a helping hand that would be fantastical

thankies
daisylou

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Whoop whoop
Orange smiles of bouncing happyness.
If the weight is around 1 corner, then the handle is on one of the adjacent corners.

Ie its not on the corner opposite the weight and that should work nicely.
If it doesn't seem clear. Then make the flags up without the handles, and try spinning them with out handles

boing boing

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Arnt flags supposed to be kinda trianguler in shape?? So wouldnt the wieght alwasy be at the opposite end of the handle?? Then again I have only seen flags once so I aint an expert or anything.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
flags can be triangular or rectangular. doesn't really matter if its got three corners or four. but they can't have only two corners, because then they'd just be string.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

shimstermember
5 posts

Posted:
So I'm interested in this flag-thing, it seems very cool. I was going to attempt to make a pair tommorrow. I read the instructions on a couple of websites and I still have some questions. So you line up three different lengths of curtain-lead on the two sides... but do you fold the fabric over all three lengths? ( so that you're just making one fold but sewing each length of weight down separately) Or did I get that completely wrong? Help....

Analyse CapitalismChoose RevolutionDemand Chocolate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I fold mine over each. There are some really great instructions in the links here on HoP. Go to the Home Page, on the left go to articles and click on the flags. There is a bunch of photos and information for you on those.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

shimstermember
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Pele! I checked out the instructions at Centrifugal Force and i'm still confused though. So what you do is: fold the fabric over the first row of weights, sew the weights down then fold the fabric over again and sew the second row of weights down, etc? Or just make one giant pocket for the three rows and sew the weights down row-by-row within the "pocket"?

Also, if you're laying the weights down within a corner of the fabric, how do you fold the fabric down without making a big curl in that corner instead of a right angle?

Sorry if these questions seem very remedial... but since I'm not a good seamstress I just want to make sure I understood the directions. If there are clearer ones on the site that Ive missed, then I beg to be pointed to them

Analyse CapitalismChoose RevolutionDemand Chocolate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Shimster..not a problem....

Choice A. Roll it over, sew it down, roll it over again, sew it down, (if you have three) do it a third time. It makes a nice edge on it. The single pocket makes for a thick edge and uneasy flow. Plus not a strong place to grip to. You want it to be large enough to get a good grip and weighty enough to create a flow but small enough that it doesn't tangle.

Now that pesky corner issue can be handled a few ways. You can either fold it over, military bed style, to form that crisp right angle OR you can cut a small slit on the diagonal, fold the flaps over one another and then sew OR you can not use a corner. Tack down the corner so that it makes a small arch instead and start there. This last one is what I do as I find the arch fits nicely into my hand.

Good luck!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
hey, everybody

i just got some absolutely gorgeous silk fabric for flagish purposes. could somebody recomend some fairly typical patterns/demensions that i won't regret? i'm about 6' if you want to know

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Hope this helps

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:

https://www.spintribe.com/weightcalc.html

sparkey!, take a look at the above link.

that (Spintribe) is the classic flagging resource.

check it out,

matt

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The lush silk ones are so beautiful to spin with. The tiedyed silk sets the guys are making are awesomely beautiful. It takes a bit to get your head around the lack of swivels on the big silk squares they use but with no handles they seem more like an extension of you rather than attached. See my gallery for a pic of my set (thanks again Xavier)

Being tall means you can have lovely big flags that wont drag on the ground.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Sorry I am a little confused still...

From Pele's post, concerning the folding/sewing and leaving a good place to grip, it seems to imply that the weighted corner is also the grip corner, but the diagram by starpoi indicates otherwise. one of dangerboys posts seems to imply that you should grasp them in the middle of the short side, right at the edge of the weight...

i had some fabric lying around, a cheap poly/cotton blend of some sort, so i thought i would give it a try anyway. i made rectangles that are 31" x 42" (74.4 cm x 100.8 cm) which are large in comparison to the diagram on this posting but dont seem too incredibly large in comparison to other flagger sites. Also, i didnt feel like soing, so I used Gaffe tape and tape the weights in place, for the time being, the experimental phases. I just used some chain that was laying aroundthe shop i work at. it is not too heavy at all, and i am not sure how heavy it should be.

laying the weight so that there is wieght 3/4 of the length of the long side and 1/2 the lentgh of the short side, and grasping it at the corner adjacent to the weighted corner, as indicated in starpoi's diagram, seems to work. i mean, i can twirl them and they are poi-like and i can do some weave and butterfly moves. they might be a little too big, but before i cut them down i want to amke sure that they are weighted properly... i mean, they get to be big and flwoing, but i just have no idea if i have enough weight on them. i suppose the next step for me would be to add more to see how that changes things, but i dont have any offhand to add. i visited the link to the "weight calculator," but it confused me, as i dont understand what the "faded tiers" mean and it says "total weight" but doesnt say what measurement unit is being used... grams, pounds, etc. Obviously, putting in the size flag i am using, the total weight of the two tier is "66" so it isnt pounds!!! but what is it? ounces? kilograms? the site uses inches as a measurment, which would imply a non-metric measurement system...

ARGH i just really need some help. i cant find any HoP guides in the articles section. i understand the idea of doing one row of weights, and then sewing them in place, and then another, if this is what is meant by tiers. (except at the corner, where the weights from the horizontal edge and the vertical edge would overlap, unles you shifted one of them a little, correct?)

Also, i couldnt find any good curtain weight. the only curtain weight i could find were little 1 inch x 1 inch weights, they didnt weight very much and they were small and expensive, and my impression was that the weight has to be distributed evently, so using just a bunch of little squares wouldnt work.... the master carpenter i work with reccomended i get aircraft cable, 1/16 inch, which is really skinny and lite wieght, and once it is in place, buy a bunch of the weights used for fishing, that crimp into place, and just add as many as i want... i am not sure if it will work, but it is an idea...

But if someone could really help me out with a size to weight ratio, along with clarification on where to hold the darn thing (though i think i have got that) it would be great. i am 5' 9" tall, and these flags seem a little big for me... but do i just need to reweight them and get used to them, or what?

Thanks a lot!!!!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
This site gives minute instructions:

https://home.earthlink.net/~ericmps/id4.htm

which imply that while my sizing is pretty good, my wieght is most likely off. he advocates sewing all three cords into pace at once instead of three separate folds like mentioned above, i believe.... but if using weighted braided cord, the width of that has to be pretty skinny, i would imagine, yes? he still doenst give an actual weight, and in order to follow his instructions i have to find the same type of weight he is using, since his weight specifications are in inches.....

also, he doenst say where you should grip the flags................

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i make mine like that because i based them on my 'poi poi' flags. I also put finger loops and swivels on them but that is because i have sickly hands that can't grip anything.

i used a total of about 80g of weight on each one but thats just personal preference, most people make them heavier than that but i found any more too heavy for me.

the best way of sewing the weights in is to use the zipper foot on a sewing machine so it gets sewn in tightly.

experiment - if it doesn't feel right then change it, it is all personal preference, i find the big flags great fun but i also have lots of flags in different shapes and sizes for doing different things.

i've got some ickle tiny sparkly flags which act almost exactly like normal tailed poi and you can do almost anything with them..they're in my gallery

sorry i can't be much more help but it is all personal preference, some people love spinning with my flags, others really don't!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
thanks a lot, that was really helpful!

I kind of realized that a lot of it is personal preference, but there are still some laws of physics that have to be mastered in order to make them fly correctly, and then there are some normative figures, to use as guidelines. So if i consider 80 g to be probably the minimum starting point, i will know that i can go up from there...

I have been thinking about whether or not i want to add a grommet and a finger loop... ithink for now i like the idea of just holding them... thats what i have been doing so far and it feels good to have the cloth in my hands

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Maybe play with weight like a poi at one end . With gaffer tape you will find it easy to do.
Some people weight the flags right to the corner others just the tip of the leading edge. Play with it all.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: