DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
ok what would you use braied rope for would you spin them like poi

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
On fire:- Jump rope.- Weaved through a wire mesh for designs.- Layed on the ground for designs- Layed on ground to light other wicks off of it.- Layed on ground straight as a short fire wall.If not on fire, use as any other rope.- Tied to hold stuff together or closed.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
or fire whips.Am trying to make firewhips with braided kevlar at the moment, but got delayed by technical difficulties, i.e. I was in NY at the time the guy who was supposed to sell the rope to me was in London.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I have a set that I braided myself. It is three strands each of twine-thick nylon line in fluorescent white, yellow, and pink. I knotted the ends together, and kept the colors in groups, and braided them. I put a slightly bigger knot at the other end, and left about 2 inches or so frayed off. Two lengths each about 3 feet long. If you spin them under heavy blacklighting, they look like semi-transparent flags. And the cool thing is that because they are multi colored, they seem to strobe. I originally made them about 2 years ago. I had a set of UV comet poi (my Zuni) that I took out with me every weekend to a club that had a crapload of blacklights inside. The poi looked good, but I wanted to have something to fill the void in between my hands and the poi. The rope worked so well, that now I will even use it on its own.------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I also recently made a set of poi wicks out of kevlar rope, tied into monkey fists. Works pretty well so far, although I want to really beat up on them to see how durable they are.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Bearclaw manufacturing sells actual fire whips, in case you're interested.

Jesus helps me trick people.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
heh guysa few things i wanted to say/ask1. ive just made some new kevlar rope poi - 15mm rope with 1/2 m wicking at the end, the other end has metal tubing with to screws going through the tubing in2 the rope, and the tubing hammered down at either end to taper it, thus (i hope!) making it secure.to the tubing is attached a short(6inch) peice of chain to attach handles but mainly to reduce the chance of burning especially at initial lightingQ. d'ya reakon this is a) safe( i always have initial safety worries when making new kit.b) all neccessary ie do i need chain/so much or is it unlikely to burn meQ. how does this relate to others designs2. Blackbird bizarrely i am the man who was getting the rope for u but u gave me youre friends incorrect email address ive still got some at 7.50 per m so email me and i can send 3)as far as tricks are concerned, any advice on what to do - ive got a performance on friday. i havent burnt these new 1s yet but when practicing have found some things easier and some more difficult - any thoughts

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
oh yeh a few more tingswhat are "monkey fists"?!and as far as i know, although you can buy kevlar whips - theyll never crack as the speed of sound a puts out flame and chucks most of the fuelso ive heard(or not!!) anyhow!!------------------Love,Peace and HappinessRob

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
A monkey fist is a very simple and elegant enlarged knot, usually used to makes weights at sea but now used for all sorts of things, including as ornaments and doorstops.Here's how to make them...https://www.realknots.com/knots/faqknot.htm------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 31 January 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?