Forums > Technical Discussion > Fuel Storage: Biodegradation

Login/Join to Participate

Vladmember
9 posts

Posted:
I imagine that most of you buy a somewhat large amount of fuel to keep around, more than you would use in one or two practice sessions. I am curious how biodegradation affects the various fuels everyone uses, as well as how long it takes for negative effects of biodegradation to set in.Has biodegradation affected any of you (your fuels, that is)? How long until the effects are notceable (weeks, months, years)? What was the longest sitting fuel you used and how did it turn out?Vlad------------------"How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?"

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Biodegradation? That's a big word!I would personally say "how long it lasts" but I hope to have your word come up in scrabble sometime winkI've never heard of this topic before, and feel it may not be an issue as long as you store your fuel in an airtight container, preferably suitable for hazardous goods and kept away from heat and sunlight.Myself, I usually have 20-40 litres of pegasol and about 20 litres of kero on hand as a rule of thumb but I would have to mention I'd rarely not use most of that in a month...The only ways to make fuel degrade to my knowledge is to burn them, if they ignite by accident or they are exposed to air and evaporate but maybe others could share their experiences with me...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Kerosene and diesel can go "bad" from extended or improper storage, but even bad kero should work just fine on fire poi. Just don't try to use them in an engine once they've gone bad, though.-p.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
what causes fuel to degrade is oxidation from oxygen in the air (free radical chain reaction)and from ultraviolet light in sunlight. So keep the fuel in an air tight/opaque container. even the residual oxygen in the container (air airspace) is enough to do a certain amount of damage. It should burn though regardless of being "bad". (it is still going to contain hydrocarbons, even if they are different than what you started with) also, if you are spitting fire with your fuel, you might want to keep fresh stuff on hand.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
While emptying the house of my grand father I recently found 5 liters of kero in an airtight (well almost airtight judjing by the amount of kero in my car but airtight before I open it I think) container.This container was largely 20-30 years old I like to think it's older than me grin anyway the kero in it was just fine a little smelly but on the combustion time point it was OK.Now it's my prefered container.

o]-[DasK]-[o