Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
ohh this sounds plush!! think i may make an appperence

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I may too ASAP biggrin

It does sound awesome. bounce

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Ooooh!

Seeing as i'm on holiday, then off to Play on Wednesday...

hmmmm (pesky parents visiting from America..)

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH again

Sptiz will be happening in a new temporary location.

Some lovely people tracked us down at the pub and offered us the use of a hall locally to the market. I have been there and it is a lovely chilled out private club in commercial road called “Alhambi”

The space obviously is not as big as we are used to however there is a decent size hall with very high ceilings and a sound system. There is another room the same size with couches and a pool table. They sell soft drinks and coffee and there is a nice outside smoking chill out area. It is a 2 min walk from aldgate east and about 7 mins from spitilfields.

Because it is a private club, I will require an email address from you to confirm access and to send you directions and details. Please pm me this ASAP only if you have not given this at spitz.

See you then…

Devkev

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Is there a Kev shaped echo in this thread?

confused

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
dear all

sorry but the venue we had last week is not going to work out. I am desperatly searching for a new temporary venue in the same area of london. If you know of anywhere that would let us play please put me in contact with them.

Please look at the home of poi spitz thread or the spinning@spitz on myspace for updates..

This disruption is only for till september then we will be back at spitlefields full time.

Huge hugs

devkev

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
just a reminder to let you know and apologise that spinningatspitz is not on tonight. i am going to try and find a defult dry weather venue to go to if its nice, however with play (which was great) this has not happened...

Please tell your friends to check hop, spinningatspits@myspace or to pm me there email for updats.

huge hugs and miss you all

devkev.
P.S this is only temporary..

FelixCnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Ah, so tonight was going to be my fist night down with you guys at Spitalfields...shame to see it's having issues. Anyone else eager for a spin somewhere (much prefer somewhere I can use fire too...). What parks in the Shoreditch area are OK for spinning fire, or do the police shut down anything?

Felix

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
announcement... tell friends...

I have spoken with ewan and i think we should have an unofficial meet tonight.. we wont be alowed in the market but its such a lovely day that we should play somewhere... there is a little public area near a statue in lamb street just next to spitz and i believe it is public space. I will be at the market area from 7pm onwards.. we can go to the poet later or if we get moved on..

hugs to all

streetmap :
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=...mapp=newmap.srf

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
If you get moved on there's a park just off Brick Lane - just past Cafe 1001, turn right on the corner with Coffee @ and it's just along there.

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
Spinning@Spitz

Due to building work there will be no workshops inside the market area untill September. Then we will continue as normal.

Please check our website for further updates and alternative venues.
www.myspace.com/spinningatspitz
or this thread

There may be a few of us meet near the statue in Lamb Street next to spitz at around 7pm and then onto the pub after.

This is un official meet and may be subject to being moving on. It is also subject to the weather being good. If it’s raining, we will be having a drink in The Water Poet 9-11 Folgate Street.

hugs
devkev

Song_Breezenewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I'd love to go to the next one, but I really don't want to go on my own, as I'm really shy. And I'm not that good at poi.

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
the un-official meet will happen again this week. hopefully the weather will be good. last week was lovely and chilled.

Please come along and play.. your never on your own here..

(cheesy i know but true...)

kev smile

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I'm back in the swing now, I'll be there! Looking forward to it! Hugs to everyone! biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Song_Breeze

I'd love to go to the next one, but I really don't want to go on my own, as I'm really shy. And I'm not that good at poi.

Don't worry, I'm not that good either and everyone was very nice to me smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
hiya all.. i know its a bit grey and windy however we will be meeting at the statue on lamb street from 7pm. If its too grim to play then we will go to the pub..

pimms and all

c ya there
kev smile

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Looks like I won't be there now, just ran out of money and I haven't been paid yet. frown

Have fun ya'll, I'll make one soon, promise! Can't wait to see everyone again...

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
the un-official meet will happen again this week. we will be meeting at the statue on lamb street from 7pm. hopefully the weather will be good. last week was we went to the pub and it was lovely and chilled. Thanks all who came...

see you there,,,

kev

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Will there be one on Tuesday 11th Sept? I'm tempted to come down a day or two for one of these before I go to Heathrow...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I may head over there tonight. Depends how i feel.

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Will there be one on Tuesday 11th Sept? I'm tempted to come down a day or two for one of these before I go to Heathrow...

There is usually ALLways a spitz in some shape of form every tuesday smile even if it is just drinking pimms under a huge umbrella at the pub biggrin

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
hiya all.

it looks like it will be good weather on tuesday so we will meet as usuall at the statue in lamb street E1 (next to market) . This is un-official meet and may be subject to moving on, however we have not been moved yet, its been great (a bit wet recently) and as long as we are considerate to the people who live locally we should be fine.

I have been informed that it may be october before we can get back into the market and although the weather has been fairly kind, its getting dark, so efforts to find an indoor space will be stepped up and i shall keep you informed.

hope to see you on tuesday

devkev wave

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
hiya... weather forcast is good so... same as above. we are still looking for an indoor or covered place to play as its getting dark earlier.. will keep you informed...

see you on tuesday...

kev smile

ps i saw this south east london meet and thought some of you might be interested..
[Old link]

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Moving to London on the 15th, so will be coming down to spitz very soon smile

rsmith3SILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
hi!

I've been spinning for a while but not knowing anyone else who does my inspiration is wearing quite thin! I'm in west london so I would love to come over and say hi and meet some other spinning peeps (I'm not very good...still learning!)...

If this is on every tuesday I would have liked to say i'd be there tomorrow but with tube strikes that looks unlikely. Though I'd do my best to make it the tuesday after?

Robyn
EDITED_BY: rsmith3 (1188833280)

idol_monkeynewbie
2 posts

Posted:
AHOY THERE!!!

this is eddie from play (simta's mate)

i just moved to london and need (local) friends lol

anyone want to meet for spining and partying? need to find good places to party, gigs, good music and a comedy night (for a mates birthday in 2 weeks)..... HAZZZAR

eddie

safpm@hotmail.com
EDITED_BY: idol_monkey (1189026424)

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
hiya... weather forcast is good so... same all is on for tonight. we are still looking for an indoor or covered place to play as its getting dark earlier.. will keep you informed...

see you on tuesday...

kev

Skrytinn_QveldrigaBRONZE Member
delectatio morosa, gaudium, desiderium
160 posts

Posted:
so, are tuesdays still in existence? cause i was thinking about coming but it looks like things have split up a little recently...

meow
biggrin happy little panda bear biggrin
peace
i love you

paulinoGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi there!

I'm new to London, from the Philippines. Been here for just a week. Was just wondering if the meet up in Spitalfields market is still on going? Passed by the other night and the usual area has been closed due to construction? Would appreciate any info on poi gatherings in London.

Thanks!

Paulino (Aka: Faisca on COL6)

Skrytinn_QveldrigaBRONZE Member
delectatio morosa, gaudium, desiderium
160 posts

Posted:
i think that they are unnoficial now, and held by the statue on the grassy are just around the corner.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=...mapp=newmap.srf

meow
biggrin happy little panda bear biggrin
peace
i love you

Page: ...