Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Elasta - who was you? i'm always disappointed when i find i've missed a HoPper at speitz. It's got so busy now ( smile ) that its tricky to say hello to everyone. Well, that and the fact i'm a bit crap and shy etc.

Mikey - ubbrollsmile biggrin ubbrollsmile
(but don't neglect your nursicaluar studiesing, young man wink )

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
ohh elasta was the girl with dub...

should have guessed, stupid monkey rolleyes

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Quote:

will yoo cheeky munkee

Sorry Cole, couldn't resist. Didn't end up doing too much passing tuesday, was too much into doing the seven thing after two weeks of not being able to practice. Strangely enough my seven has been really good this week, I also have just learnt 74635 this week.

If you fancy a pass sometime at spitz come and grab me, or nick my balls off me. I should always be up for it. Just don't say something like "when u get bored of juggling come over"...this might take a long time!!

On a darker note, Simian, the guy who convinced me to start poi frownis now trying to convince me to learn staff. Apprehensive? that's me, but it is the only thing i don't do even remotely, so i guess i should learn sometime hug

Hopefully see you Tue

Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

3,149 posts

Posted:
no problem, sticks is easy biggrin

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
just like to say thanx again to everyone i've met/ has shown me things at spitz over the last two weeks. it's been real cool hanging out with so many talented and friendly people, and it's been great to put some faces to names and watch everyone's spinning styles! hug

it's sod's law though that the two weeks i'm down in london i start juggling more + learning staff and then the day after i start reading the latest stuff in the poi moves thread again when i'm not gonna have the chance to actually quiz people over it... oh well, there's always the summer! biggrin

see y'all soon wave

chris

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm..I have a confession to make..

I didnt say hello to many people last Tuesay.
Sorry. rolleyes
That would have been due to my overwhelming shyness ( wink to those who know me)

So wave

I should be down next week though. So "you lot" can point me in new HOPsters directions.

Posted:
doh lazy ass jem couldn't make it last tuesday frown gotcarried away with painting her room and didnt watch the time lol

maybe she will appear next week to give hugs and chocolate or something for some special friends

Posted:
and frodo i saw the strugz vid its lush, where was it filmed?

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
hey hey hey, it twas lush to see some old faces again, me lovses hugs ubbrollsmile

eva hugjon hugbams hugmonkeyboy hugand all the rest of you loverly people

and hugto the special people who were not there

grrr why cant i still not do this jugglein any way shape or form? or this !! bounce2? actually i dont think id ever want my body to move like that!

EDITED_BY: jemmamimajemima (smallgirl) (1082517244)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

triple wordscoremember
75 posts

Posted:

Big thankx and hug for every1 for making me feel welcome at my very first spitz last nite. Yay, I also learnt a new trick!! clap

It was lovely to meet you all and Jemma and Siman its was great to see you both again. Anyway, I'm not great with names but i guess I will get to know them all sooner or later.

hug for every1!

Cant Sleep Or The Clowns Will Get Me!!!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, I'll be pootling up tonight again - with Mr Jules too, possibly even some more Guildfordians (although they're an un-reliable bunch - bloody hippies wink )

Looking forward to it already - especially after watching all of Black & Blue biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I shall be down tonight as well, have missed the last couple of weeks due to moving and being broke, looking forward to it biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
it was so great to see so many familiar smiling faces last night grouphug thankx

missed you guys grouphug

[/soppy message]

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Eeeeep - well, I'm slowly meeting more and more people smile Curse this shyness and the overwhelming urge to spin biggrin

Anyone up for wearing name tags?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
oh no i missed the return of faery em, can't wait to see you again angel ubblove

and durbs the nametags only seem to come out on clapham common for whatever reason, maybe 'cause noone brings them to spitz - ubbidea why don't you take a big black marker pen and some sticky labels next time and label them all yourself (it's a good way to go round and learn people's names anyway) biggrin

frown missed you all last night hug hug hug

E

sunny

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Eeeeep - well, I'm slowly meeting more and more people smile Curse this shyness and the overwhelming urge to spin biggrin

Anyone up for wearing name tags?

Who are you? I would've said hello if I'd've known who you were smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er - Short one, broke one of my doubles, did a bit of contact juggling and used stripy black and white socks.

I was hiding with the rest of the G'ford lot in the corner by all that exciting scaffolding smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

3,149 posts

Posted:
next time you're both there i'll see if i can remember to introduce you.

although generally i can barely remember my name by the time i get to spitz from 1001...
confused2

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
but you doo remeber how to play with your loverly new nesbit monkey fist staffs dont you mr monkey ? wink

such a funky monkey!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Spitz was now two nights ago.

frown

I wasnt there.

ubbcrying

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:

Spitz is 5 days away

smile

I'll be there with other G'fordians

biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hallo!
Just to say that in case you haven't heard I won't be at Spitz tomorrow because I'm in Thailand.
See you guys in June
Dom
smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
eek

Wow!!

Hope you have a wicked timemate!!!

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Dom

Have a great time in Thailand. See you soon

Will

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I won't be at Spitz tomorrow either.

Unfortunately I won't be in Thailand! rolleyes

Enjoy Dom! Bring some sunshine back for us sunny

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes Thailandeesers!

Enjoy Dom!
biggrin

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I'm off to see Dave Gorman tonight.

Are you Dave Gorman?

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I'll be at Spitz next Tuesday! Visiting once again from the San Francisco Bay Area. Hope to see some old friends!

I'll be in the UK for 3 weeks... mostly in London, but hoping to venture out a bit... maybe Glasgow for a couple of days... any interesting events a visiting poi spinner should know about? Is Clapham happening these days?

Roger/Orbit

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I wanted to go last night frown
Ah well - I WILL next week or you can tie me up, poke me cushions and feed me tea
(Please)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
everyone must go to spits this tuesday, because it's my last spits (again) for 3 months

just thought i'd let you know wink

grouphug

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

Page: ......