Page:
nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Following the discussion started by Josh in "social discussion", I'd like to start here Home of Poi's official Burning Man ressource (what a project!). It would be cool to have just one thread to refer to when it comes to BM so that discussions are not scattered over time and forums with the same questions asked all over.So for you Burners out there, please post here when you're going, with how many people, if you are with a camp, if you're involved in the fire conclave and are spinning for the burn, if you have any ideas for HOP people to get together at BM, parties and such, etc.As far as i'm concerned, this will be my second time at BM. Last year was the first one and it's where i saw and picked up Poi for the first time ever. I'll be there the whole week and don't have a specific camp yet. Probably going with a bunch of SF friends like last year. I would like to be in the Fire Conclave but it's not easy to be invovled in auditions, practise and such as i live on the east coast.Anyone else?Nomad

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I will be travelling to Burning Man from Seattle, but could make a stop in San Fran.I am currently affiliated with camp "Hohm," which will be based in the alternative energy zone. https://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/mathew/hohm/hohm.htm(excuse
the colors... not my doing)There are about 12-15 of us at current count. I am the only experienced fire dancer in the group, though the bug is starting to spread.I have no interest in being part of fire conclave or spinning at the burn. I may, in all honesty, leave before the burn itself, depending on how my week goes... the atmosphere really changes toward the burn and I prefer the community over the insanity......eh... what am I talking about... I'll be there for the burn.As far as meeting up... hmmm.... we could set a time and a day and try to meet at center camp.... like tuesday afternoon or something... that way we could exchange black rock city addies for hookups... and there's always the magic message board!!!!!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - I'm trying to arrange to fly into San Fran, I'm not sure how I'm getting from San Fran yet, I'm not sure IF I'm coming in through San Fran etc etc. the flights into San Fran are pretty solidly booked from Aus for the whole month of august, so I may fly into some other place...Anyhow - I will be there for the whole week and hopefully for a bit longer than that. I like to get to parties a bit early, and leave a bit late, cuz I find that I meet more interesting ppl that way smileI'd be interested in hooking up with anyone and everyone and I can twirl fire reasonably competantly. I'm a generally friendly person (so is my gf) and we are basically coming to the US to meet ppl, especially fire ppl. Hopefully I'll have a video camera by then, with which I'm going to document our trip...I've got my BM ticket, and i've read the beginners guide. I know I really need to organise stuff - like car rental etc etc. but I have a strong will, and so far in life, I've found that where there is a will there is a way (you just cant be too picky about the way wink)So yeah! Josh

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I'll be going for the first time this year. I'll be with either 1 or 2 friends (non-fire but friends nevertheless :-) I'm definitely going to go to San Fran first (maybe I could hook up with some of you guys?) and I have no idea how I will get from there to the Man. I'm too young to rent a car by 2 months frown so if anyone's got room in a vehicle please let me know (I can drive and help pay for petrol/rentol etc). I haven't decided on a camp or anything yet so any advise on that would be great.Love you all.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
Josh: Fly into Sacramento. Its two hours from San Fran and two hours closer to BM. Its about a little under 4 hours from the burn. Sacramento's not that cool of a city but the flights won't be booked, and the cars won't be rented out verses conditions in Reno & San Fran. You could either rent a car or find a ride from one of the Ride share boards off Burningman. I'm personally from Sacramento, this is my second year out. I have my ticket in hand and yet no way to be found again, but no worries. I cannot personally rent a car this year, I'm not old enough. (hint, hint, if anyones out there that is, I'm down to help out with funds) I haven't established a camp yet either. I'm contemplating a few. I'm planning on volunteering for Earth Guardians and maybe, fire conclave. One of the things to definitely anyone should try to bring is: A bicycle! I know how hard it may be to bring all this crap if your flying, so buy a cheap one here. Its worth its weight in gold once you get there. I haven't really particpated in the message board on here, just haunting it occassionally to read whats be written, but I'd love to meet some of you out there.yadda yadda yah,Namaste Christina

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
NOKOMIS, will it be as easy to find a ride from Sacramento as from San Fran?Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I'll be heading out to BM with about a dozen friends from the Baltimore area, many of whom are fire performers. It will be my first trip to the Playa, but most people in the group will be returning for the third, fourth, or fifth time. Right now it looks as if we will be setting up our own small group site with some of us driving out and others flying.With the number of people on this list that are heading out to BM, we really ought to try to set up a HoP UBBS hookup party for sometime during the week.-p.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
This just in...A lot of the jugglers at the man meet at center camp daily to play at 11:00...

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
An option I am considering this year, is taking the Green Tortoise tour bus to BM.They will provide you with all the water you need, a kitchen set-up to cook food, transportation to and from SF, as well as an opportunity to meet other like-minded folks.Last year, I ended up going with a large group next to one of the major soundsystems. Needless to say, I'm looking for a more relaxing place to camp this year.https://www.greentortoise.com/burning.man.festival.html------------------
quote:
Embrace and perpetuate constant change

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
Sorry for the double post, but I remember another post stating that one needs a car to see the states. Well, Green Tortoise has several destinations throughout North and South America. Hope this helps.edlo------------------
quote:
Embrace and perpetuate constant change

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
The 11:00 meeting at Center Camp works for me. Let's do it monday and/or tuesday and we'll go from there.Nomad

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
I took a Green Tortoise trip in April to Baja. Its was definitely fun, but its not something I would take to Burningman. My reasons are are simple. Arrives to late in the week at BM, you can't take alot of gear, and its kind of a dependant situation.Like you said who you camp with makes one hell of a difference. Can you get a ride easier from San Fran then Sac?It varies, alotta people come from SF to Burningman, but alot seem to also have full cars. Just remember, Sacramento IS on the way to Burningman. Its a safe bet you could get a ride. I'm also in the same boat, and I know I'll get there. So will you.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
dis for Twist;Howdy, my gf and I will be going up to Seattle straight after Burning Man, and I'm wondering if you or someone you know of would have space for us in their vehicle of course we would help out with fuel costs etc etc for the trip back up to Seattle?Anyhow - if there is any possibility of this, please email me;automated_dreaming@hotmail.comthanks,Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 08 June 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Burning Man is so huge now, I don't think rides will be trouble. My car broke down near last year Alturas California (pop. ~3000). I went down to the stop light where the gas station and grocery were and hitched a ride in about 5 minutes, serious. Made the hardcore punx at DPW jealous. wink Just remember, "your mileage may vary." The only trouble with hitching in is making sure you have water, food and shelter. I arrived with a gallon of apple cider and a liter of water, some energy bars and instant oatmeal, a warm winter jacket, an extra shirt and pants, toiletries, and my fire tools. I went on my mission (fire conclave and fire in the belly) and went on faith. Blessed be, I'm well connected to my family there. Within two hours, I had chits for the commissary, fuel for the week, a tent and a sleeping bag, and all the water I needed. This year, I'll be camping with the Mystic Family Circus (www.mysticfamilycircus.org) at the Sacred Love Womb Garden. That'll be on the Esplanade at about 8:30, between a DPW outpost and Death Guild/Thunderdome. Diana

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!Diana, they're doin' Thunderdome again?!The DG website has been deaddeaddead... I wasn't sure.. they're not listed in the Camp Directory yet either... or at least they weren't a few days ago... rockin' cool!I will be in the AEZ... did I say that already? We will be between 4:00 and 4:30 and what were Gut Alley and Sex Drive last year.I am getting werry excited.

the streaking wombatmember
10 posts

Posted:
so i'm located in LA, and me and some friends just discovered the joy's of fire...as such, i'm am helping organize a trip to this year's BM, and while our plans of having a big camp with a 40ft wide mushroom tent probably won't happen till next year, we still have all the passion to make it fun for all involved...drop a line if you would like to meet[This message has been edited by the streaking wombat (edited 12 June 2001).]

this fire and i dance among the stars

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
OK, here's an idea. My pal Sue is putting up another fire installation this year, called The Chamber of Creation: https://www.burningman.com/themecamps_ins...amberofcreation
This is an elaboration of her ring of fire from previous years, which she designed expressly as a fire performance venue. I don't know how "performable" this year's effort will be, but it'd be a good place to meet and play. How 'bout Thursday night at sundown? Diana

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I'll be there thursday night!Nomad

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Does she know where she'll be located... sounds like an esplanade piece to me....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If you're familiar with last year's playa setup, it'll be much the same. The Seven Ages will be set up on an axis from 6 to 12 o'clock, starting at Center Camp and going up to and past the Man. Sue's installation will be at the Cradle, the first Age. Diana

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Centrally located!Cool. I'll be there.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'll be there too...as will Katinca.Josh

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Jo--If you're definitely going from SF to Burning Man (rather than from Sacramento), and you're looking for ride sharing, you might want to check out Craig's List, a sort of geek/freak community bulletin board thing. If you can drive and/or pay for gas, then you should be able to hook up with some folks that have a car.

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
I tried out for the Fire Conclave this past Sunday in Seattle. I taught myself to spin (4 months past) and it was only my second time lighting up. I was nervous but way excited. Met extremely talented, free spirited individuals - truly a wonderful experience.

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand

oingoboogiemember
1 post

Posted:
howdy, my name is trinity and am new to using poi i have attended burningman the last 2 years and am going this year as well. i am looking for people in portland to practice with and mabye camp together (i might go with the same kids from the past years) i am pretty good at spitting fire but not so great at spinning. if anyone whants to help me out i would be willing to trade. love and lighttrinityoingoboogie@aol.com

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Only 54 days and counting!!Thursday on the esplinade and every day at 11 in center camp... consider me there!I think my camp is called "imagenode" and we are supposed to be registered. We've got a couple of BIG domes and will be doing projections within/without multi-media style. Not sure where we're gonna be just yet but I'll be meeting up with yall, this I garrrunteeee!I go by Lou, Spenkovich the evil clown or occasionally The bLou Meenie! Ask for me and let's do some poi! You may just see me cruising the playa on my MOPED of TERROR!And if anyone is near Santa Barbara and would like to hook up try me at spenkovich@hotmail.comBurn Brightly Babies!Spenky

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ME AND MY FRIEND ARE HOPING TO GO TO BURNING MAN THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME..WE'RE GOING ON THE GREEN TORTOISE TRIP THAT TAKES YOU THERE..WE ARE TRAVELLING FROM NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND..TO GO IT MEANS I HAVE TO TAKE A LOAN OUT IS IT WORTH IT? I REAALY WANT TO GO! XXX

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
{sigh}next year...------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I have a question for you people who spun fire at BM in the past. How much fuel do you bring? Do you buy it in Reno? Any cheap places to purchase it from?Nomad

space cadetmember
19 posts

Posted:
I'm going to Burning Man again this year! Back where I first saw fire dancing.Not sure where I'm camping yet but will be heading over from Minnesota in a big van.And yes, Death Guild is going to be there. A lot of the kids who run it are based here in Minneapolis. I don't know any of them very well but I know they're going.I haven't yet spun with fire. Would any of you lot care to meet up and help me fix that? It seems a fitting place for it... wink

dragonfleye_22member
1 post

Posted:
Nomad~ Hi there!The reccomended amount of fuel is: 1 Gallon per person, per day. So if you are going all week with 3 of your friends, I would bring 21 Gallons. Anything left over you can barter with or just play and share with.I would say purchasing the fuel before you go would be your best bet. That way you're prepared ahead of time, and aren't at the whim of Reno and their potential lack of supplies. Smiles & Laughter,~D>i<

Page: