Page:
GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
When doing the 5 beat weave, do I need short poi? At the moment they're about as long as my leg and being 6foot1 might cause a problem. I've kept them like this cause they look good for pretty much every other trick I know (not a lot). It's probably a given but I can't tell in the video if they swing directly infront of you when you cross over, do they do that? I'm still in a big mess with this trick.....
Mary
p.s You all must be p/o'd cause this has prolly come up before but I did a search and couldn't see anything on length

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I've learnt the 4 or 5 bveat weave! not sure which one it is cause i,m too pissed! sorry about the spelling! I'm too pissed! So much deetong *deleting going on!!!!!!! Man, hope i can still do it tomorrow! Wooooah man, comp spin! A lil help? Brad? bread! Water? DUDE so much deleting! beerchug beerchug beerchug

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
ubblol

The consensus after my previous inaccuracy faux-pas is -

4 beat is when you do the extra wrist twist on one side

5 beat is when you do it on both sides

- so you should be able to work out which you're doing from that.

probably

confused

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
4 beat is not an extra twist on one side.....

an extra twist on one side is a 5-3 weave...

look...

3bt...
[left side] R-L-R ~ L-R-L ~R-L-R

3bt with a twist on one side
[left side] R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R ~ L-R-L ~ R-L-R-L

5bt (or a 3bt witha twist on both sides starting with the 3bt)
[left side] R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R-L ~ R-L-R-L-R
notice that by adding the twist on each end you add one beat to each side, what most people dont realizxe is there is an extra beat added to going in as well... here is the same transition with the {twist} and the (hidden beat)
[left side] R-L-R ~ L-R-L-{R} ~ (L)-R-L-R-{L} ~ (R)-L-R-L-{R}

a 4 bt weave can only be done 2 ways,,,
[left side] R-L-R-L ~ R-L-R-L ~ R-L-R-L
or
[left side] L-R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R

enjoy

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
rev - can you explain how you do a 4bt weave without any wrist twists please?

and i'm very confused about your 'hidden beat' theory.
as far as i look at it, if the poi passes the ground you count a beat. they're pretty tricky to disguise...

anyway, i've just had a go at your '3bt with a twist on one side' and i get either R-L-R-L ~ R-L-R-L ~ R-L-R-L or L-R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R.
that's a 4bt weave that is.

if you do a 2bt weave and do a wrist wrap on one side, you get an offset 3bt weave

bottom line: a 'wrist twist' just adds a beat. smile

i think you possibly are missing the fact that if you add a wrist twist on one side it must also be 'untwisted on the other side...

and i apologise for being brash but what the hell is a 5-3 weave?!
if you still disagree fundamentally with what i'm saying please read this and explain in the terms given there... ubbangel

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, I counted again Glass.

Please explain as I've posted many different comments about many different moves on here.

I thought I was right.

I am trying very hard to preach what I have been taught by both you and Dom. I learn best with specific, concrete instructions. Please help via this list or PM.

Feelin' like a failure...
NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Let me rephrase what I think Glass. Cuz maybe you're disagreeing with something that i'm not saying...

The simplest same time Thread The Needle is a two beat. It is impossible to do a one beat TTN.
The simplest split time TTN is a three beat. It is impossible to do a two beat split time TTN.
It is certainly possible to do a 4 beat TTN either split or same time.

Is that wrong Glass? confused

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
NYC watch a video of someone else doing it in slow mo.

smile

You might be doing that, but if push throughs have 2 beat with each poi in betterfly time, then it kinda makes sense that there are 2 circles with each poi in split time hug

maybe you're forgetting to count the beat when one hand is directly below the other arm.

or try counting beats at the top, see how many you get wink

additionally a 1 circle with each poi TTN is just a butterfly

and ditto, 1 circle split time with each poi it split time butterfly.

2 circles with each poi TTN butterfly time = TTN

this is a slow count, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 cos its butterfly

2 circles with each poi TTN split time = TTN split time

if you still count in simple beats :yawn: ,you'll count at twice the speed of butterfly TTN cos its split time

Rev: from comments above, it would help you also to watch videos in slow mo.

what cole said smile he knows his stuff that cole

5,3 is one of the 4 beats,

( and 7,1 is a 4 beat goofy weave, ugh ugly)

back to work on my 4 2!! 3 club tricks

EDITED_BY: Glåss (1069804961)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I promise that what I'm doing is a 3 beat split time TTN. I didn't know that a two beat was possible. That was my error. I'll work on that...

Thanks Glass.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hehe.

you can do it NYC.

do a TTN.
put your head at an angle of 90 degrees. thats it!(with a minor cheat of ocourse)

ubbloco

but in your defence 2beat splittime TTN is a move practically noone does.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
coleman-
if you ad a twist on one side... this is usually the progression... (the hidden beat doesn't come in on the first twist but is a product of the twist..)

3bt(with twist)
R-L-R ~ L-R-L-R ~~~~~~~~~~ L-R-L ~ R-[L-R-L-R] <-- same as you did last time..
^theres the twist ^hidden beat

the reason I say hidden is because once you add the beat on the right side. it changes the lead on the left... and if you do the exact same on the left as ou did the first time (i.e. 3bts because you don't add a twist) then you will naturally go into the 5bt on the other side.. hence the 3-5or 5-3 however you want to look because it contiunues like this..
L-R-L ~r-l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l-r

you follow?

the 4 beat does twist I suppose, but it depends on how you look at it.. because you have to make yourself lead the same both ways.. which is different from the 3,5,7 beats which all use opposite lead hands..

the 2,4,6 are all awkward because its been my experience that most people end up doing 3-5 and calling it a 4 bt.. and it is if you average, but that's not how beats are counted..

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
You guys are all aware that any beat beyond 3 beat looks the same to non-twirlers? I can remember doing a set that included some 4 beat, some BTB weave some jumps under the leg, on the ground stuff and up comes this pom to say "Hey that was good, BUT THE KIDS IN THAILAND MAN!!!" and went on about how they threw poi to each other in a circle. Good luck to the little kiddies and all but let me have a moment of satisfaction for all my technical stuff before letting me down.
i'm sorry guys, I've been at centrelink (job centre) today which always shits me.
But it just goes to show that twirling is an art for ones own satisfaction as it's evident that the moves we admire the most don't even rate with non-twirlers Yeah?

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

You guys are all aware that any beat beyond 3 beat looks the same to non-twirlers

I disagree. I don't think that a nontwirler can tell WHAT the difference is between a 3 beat weave and a 5 beat weave, but in terms of moving your body, turning early, offsetting beats, and others... I think there are differences that come across in the dance of it all as well as the technicality of it. Actually, most of the time a 5 beat weave looks WORSE but if you look at guys who do it well, it does add a different flavor.

I like the 4 beat TTN MUCH better than the two beat in terms of how it looks and how danceable it is...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I dont'knwo about 5 bt looking worse.. I know that non poi people don't understand the difference between a 3bt and a 9bt.. save that a 9 bt just tkaes so much time on either side...
now.. the 5bt inmy opinion is the best in terms of transitions, etc.. I don't see how it can look uglier then the 3 bt, because if done right it flows rather nicely.. theh 7-9-11 etc.. don't flow well.. I mean you can make them flow with practice, but they just take too much timeon either side.. that I get bored, and if I'm bored I know the nonpoi people are bored lol...
but back to my original statement.. the 5bt opens for seperations, giant stuff, really cool offset weaves, hyperloops, etc.... that makes the difference for me.. and makes the difference for the non poi people.. or at leat all the ones I've spun for..

Page: