Forums > Social Chat > I don't want FIRE poi.

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i have poi'ing for 10 months and i like it a lot. i just had tennis balls and "sock-trousers" but couple days ago my sister came home from Brighton and brang me yellow-pink poi and i am happy now! I know just one people who can po'ing. I never want try fire poi. I don't feel any excited, just fear. Is that okey just doing poi not fire poi..? If there is anybody from Finland, even from Tampere, would be nice know: titityy@email.comps. sorry again my bad english!

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
Fair play to ya but it cant hurt to try right? wink

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well, i just noticed that i can't use my email anymore. There is some problem with email or then somebody has chaged my passport. So forget it. frown

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Terve Ice girl !!!!Just wanted to say I work for a Finnish company in Paris and therefore get to travel to Helsinki and Rovaniemi quite often.Maybe we could meet ?As for fire, I have always been attracted to fire and felt my heart beat, but i RESPECT YOUR FEAR yOU KNOW? MAYBE IT WILL COME? MAYBE NOT; mAYBE YOU ARE MORE OF A GLOWSTICK PERSON (FOR ANY GLOWSTICKING, SEE MYST AND SUPERMAN AND MANY OTHERS HERe) There is no "must", no rule IMO... just the feelingSorry, my keyboard is out of controlI dream of spinning in Lapland next march / april...take careCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
It's just like Rollercoasters, some people enjoy them, I hate them!Personally I find Fire Poi add an extra element to the fun. Last week I was fire twirling with a few people at an outdoor party in a field. It was great fun! The first time I used fire a couple of months ago I was amazed by the roar of the fire and the extra buzz.The trick is to only do tricks that you know you can do. Also if you do hit yourself with the Fire Poi they do bounces off easily and do not burn you (most of the time!). However I am worried the one day I'll accidentally burn my hair off!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi there! Well i think one of the biggest reason i don't want to use fire is maybe that i have naturally blond and long hair and all my life i have seen night mare that i lost my hair! I just love doing things which everybody else can NOT do and poi without fire is enough to me, in Finland there is just some people who do poi or even know what it is. Welcome to Finland cassandra!! smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh by the way my email is working again. wink

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
You know, you can easily protect your hair with some piece of clothe and you'll never burn your beautiful blonde hair, don't worry about that, really. smileShine oncass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

miggyzmember
1 post

Posted:
Hi there Ice-Girl From Finland. Don't be afraid, fire is fun! Just tie you hair up and wear a nice hat with all the loose ends tucked in well and you'll be away.OK, OK, I must admit that I have felt a strange attraction to fire for many years now, but I've only singed my hair once and that was when I was rather smashed at a party and not being particularly careful. As long as you do tricks you are confident of and take suitable precautions fire is less dangerous that normal poi, 'cos you tend to hit yourself less!!!!Trust me, I'm a lunatic.... shockedMiggy

MiggyzAnyone seen my wombat?

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I know the feeling, I've got long blond hair and it's my pride and joy! I did recently have a fire Poi land right on my top of head, but it only singed a few hairs. However it scared me, as I was a little out my head at the time!Normally I wear a hat, I find close fitting hats (like woolly hats) better as it doesn't get in the way.Brings up another point - never wear easily flamable, man-made synthetic fibres while playing with fire. They burn too easily!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
No no no no fire to me! Makes me feel bad even thinking about it! And how about face? I have hit my face many times by poi! You can't put clothes to your face, because you have to see...i guess! Face is very important to me also... blush

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Icegirl--I never urge anyone to try fire. People will try it when they feel ready (sometimes before they really *are* ready). There's nothing wrong with not doing fire, and you definitely should not try it if you don't feel comfortable with it. But you should not let your fears get too big, either.I'll tell you some of the accidents I've had. Perhaps this will give you a different perspective on using fire.I'm embarrassed to say I've hit myself in the face a few times with fire-poi. It didn't really hurt, and it didn't burn me at all. I've set my hair on fire one time. If you looked carefully, you could see that my hairline was slightly assymetric for about two weeks. It grew back fine.The only places I've suffered painful burns (because of contact with hot metal--the wicking material itself doesn't hurt) have been my arms, chest, and waist (I don't wear a shirt when I spin fire).In short, the fire is generally not as dangerous as you might think. There is always the possibility of something horrible happening, but something horrible can happen when you walk across the street, too.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Im with Ice chick wink i prefer poing with other stuff (with glowsticks) and i got a good reason for it well at least to me... you cant do Wraps with fire thing or you can?;P Wraps help me a lot to change of movements really easy and looks cool too...

Dance like if noone were watching you

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
yeah, you can do wraps with fire, sure!It's very hard to burn yourself, really, I find - wearing the right clothes helps, but as for your skin, it only really gets dirty smileI could see hair being a problem, but im sure you can put a scarf around it? or something...My main problem with fire is all the bother you have to go through, getting fuel and constantly dipping and spinning off, and then only getting like 4 minutes spin time - plus the things go out if you try and spin fast. and you have to carry al that stuff in bags and it makes you smell gross... ughglowsticks look a lot cooler imho, and a lot less hassle. and cheaper.------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
jeez i really though you would burn yerself if you tried to wrap with fire lol guess i was wrong =) Well thats true glowsticks are cheapers... lol and i like that word "cheap" sounds great to me;P since i dont have lot of money hehe... i should get a job jeez lol now i just on the university but lazy to work ;p[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 17 August 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you