RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Ok... I've prgressed infinitly farther then I ever thought I could, but I still am finding that I am lacking something.. I guess part of my problem is not having a teacher.. So the weave stuff(weave, cork screw, windmill), I can pick up on easily (with the exception of the BHB reverse [ at least I think it's the BHB reverse that give me trouble])... but I'm finding myself limited as far as butterfly moves are concerned and more importantly with transitioning to and from the few butterfly manueveurs.. I already know that I am somewhat at a disadvantage, b/c I don't use sticks for handles.. I developed a wrap around my fingers that keeps the string from having much movement within my grip... As such, I can't stick both poi in one hand...

alright before I go any further, can I get some suggestions..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I would say learn Threading the Needle both ways... it's how I got comfortable with butterfly techniques because the practice motions really do build up a lot of applicable skills.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I guess where I'm really limited is in my vocabulary, b/c I learn by visualization.. I can't really read many posts and understand the move they are describing, mainly because I don't fully understand some of the terminology. I get paid next week and will be getting the CoL videos to try and learn more.. in the meantime, I guess I'm looking for someone that has the time to sit down on icq or yahoo and discuss some of the stuff with me.. It really bites being so far away from other poi people...

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I guess where I'm really limited is in my vocabulary, b/c I learn by visualization.. I can't really read many posts and understand the move they are describing, mainly because I don't fully understand some of the terminology. I get paid next week and will be getting the CoL videos to try and learn more.. in the meantime, I guess I'm looking for someone that has the time to sit down on icq or yahoo and discuss some of the stuff with me.. It really bites being so far away from other poi people...

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev:

... and more importantly with transitioning to and from the few butterfly manueveurs.
Few butterfly maneuvers ?????

Should I assume you can do the butterfly in forward and reverse and turn from one to the other?

BTB butterfly forward and reverse and turn from one to the other?

Forward and reverse low and mexican waves and turn from one to the other?

Thread the needle forward and reverse in 2,3 and 4 beats?

Butterfly weaves and turning whilst doing?

All the giant butterfly variations?

Kinda need more info if we are gonna help you.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Here's a video from the HoP archive that helped me a lot ...

Jo Derry is da man !!!

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
I guess part of my problem is not having a teacher..
I dont have a teacher eigther, but thats a challenge, and a blessing as far as creating my own style is. Let's face it, Poi is a game of skills, the more you practice the more you can be creative...... But I dont agree that it's better having a teacher...I think that a mirror is your best ever teacher when it comes to poi....
And if you keep on practising you will develop the moves you know and 'create' (discover) new ones.....
The ideas for new moves will come when your ready....(I was getting preeetty tired of that fountain before I moved on)

One thing is having someone teaching you what to do but you're the one that have to do it.....

I like Fire.. :)

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
nice video by the way P22....

Peace

I like Fire.. :)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm not really sure what I'm doing to tell you trhe truth.. As I understand (it might not neccessarily be the case) I can do the following...

Reverse butterfly (can split and bring that into a bhb butterfly.. using a weave like motion on each side.. )
forward butterfly (can bring it back and forth over my head, working on bringing it to a reverse BHB butterfly)
and I can alternate them when going back and forth over my head, and I can do it when going front to back with the reverse butterfly...
I think I can do thread the needle, but the video isn't very clear on HoP, so Im not really sure if what I'm doing is it...

And that would be it from the butterfly family.. hence why I'm taking a break from my weavestuff to catch up my butterfly.. But since I don't understand much of what people are talking about and I don't have anyone to watch, it makes things difficult..

I don't look for a teacher for my weave stuff, because I'm figureing all of that out, now that I have the basics down.. I'm trying to do the same with my butterfly stuff... If I learn more about how and what I'm supposed to do with the butterfly I can move on to developing my own stuff in that family too..

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Check this thread & enjoy

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Nobody is uncreative, you're just not tapping into your infinite resources of creativity. Takes some time and effort sometimes, and other times it takes not trying and just playing, playing, playing

Videos on this site in the threads and the Videos section will help you along.

Oh, don't copy absolutely from videos. Just be inspired and innovate.

Happy spinning.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
also - while its true that some ppl find it harder than others to get used to the language, you will eventually pick it up if you put enough effort in. Download and watch all the movies and then go on the related discussion threads.

Once you get used to visualising the descriptions, you wont run out of moves in a hurry...There are a LOT on this board.

Josh

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Thanks Poiaholic22! I love that vid... very nostalgic because it was my first one

Yeah, there's infinite butterfly combinations.

Split time / same time / anything inbetween

In front of you / BTB / Behind the head

Both poi on same side of body / poi on different sides

Loads of TTN variations.

Loads of long arm / giant variations

theres so much you can do with them, they're a lot more flexible that weave type moves.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
quote:
I guess I'm looking for someone that has the time to sit down on icq or yahoo and discuss some of the stuff with me.. It really bites being so far away from other poi people...
I don't use yahoo or icq but I am a big fan of aim. Feel free to im me at Dan9IN if you want to discuss anything poi-related, I love learning and teaching.

Also, is there yet a thread where people have posted aim/icq/etc screen names? If not then there should be, because real time discussion can be more beneficial than reading/posting posts sometimes. Just a thought.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
LOL.. tanks for the inputs people.. I've been trying to work up my understanding of how the butterfly moves so that I can enjoy more freedom of movement exploring.. If that makes any sense.. It's kindof wierd but the way I do things is I kinda visualize the path (by that I mean the tracer it leaves) I want it to take in my head, and try to follow the little arrows... So I build up a model of where I can go an can't and what options I have...

I'm starting to get the hang of some of the butterfly stuff, and I'm beginning to see how it's so much cooler the weave in some respects (I still have to give the weave it's props heheh).. I was trying to alternate the butterflies from a front forawrd to a BHB reverse and ended up doing what I think is described in the Alternate butterfly combo.. so I'm catching on to how it works, now if only I could learn the move that I was trying to learn

and as far as the im thing goes, I think that would be an awesome thread in the social discussion section somehwere, although isn't there a place for that on the profiles? although, I think all in all, more people would pay attn to the thread version..