Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > offset weaves. [that dreded 7 beat no wrap weave]

Login/Join to Participate

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
christmas pressie to you all....i sugest dowloading this! drews video click on this link and it will download. most of you will all ready have seen this video.

if your talking about the 6,7,8 and 9 beat weaves with no wrap, then download the vid drew does the 7 beat there pretty clearly enough for you to get the idea.
You dont have to be supple to get your arms and hands into the possition, its fairly straight forward, the reverses are a ittle more difficult though. there are over 32 offset weaves to discover, but, the 7 beat is an offset on the left then offset on the right. If you want to take it past 7 beat then you have to learn the finger cross's too.

to offset on the leftside spinning forwards:after your right poi has made its 1st beat on the left side of you, its natural will then follow, 1 beat with your left poi in a 3 beat weave, as your right poi makes its second beat, turn your left arm up, your left arm needs to be 90 degrees with your hand facing upwards, this is instead of taking the left poi back to the right!. as your right poi comes out of its second beat you should then make your right arm turn up 90 degree's, too. At this stage your left elbow should sit comfortably [haha not] in the pocket/ joint of your right arm, you should then be able to fold your arms around each other, folds the wrists round each other too for that extra reach, i do sugest however that your spinning from the tips of your fingers with your loops still secure, this will help. so at this stage your left arm is all wrapped around your right arm like a crimbo pressie from grandma!, but the left hand is in the same possition that it is still leading through the move. so once here you can move it over to the right side, let it all unwrap and your arms will be free again for 1 beat, then mirror what you just did on the left side.

the six beat can be done left side or right. all you do is wrap one side up and unwrap it the other so your arms are free again. than take it back to the start.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
eeee yer a cheeky monkey pk
merry christmas.....and i want to see you practise this one.... 5beat btb, transfer between legs into 5beat forwards btb......

Love
R

brain replacement...anyone?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
*boingboingboingboingboingboingboingboing*
Finally done it!

On Christmas day as well. And my birthday. Double trouble. Although I did end up destroying a brand new unopened jar of home made marmalade in the process of learning....

Cheers for the instructions and demos, PK!

*boingboingboingboingboingboingboingboing*

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
pardon me, but i'm every so slightly confused. i thought the topic header was regarding Poi, however, the video that i downloaded (by clicking on the link) was a staff video, i saw about ten seconds of poi in there, was that supposed to be it? just curious, 'cause it sounds like a fun move to play with.

Merry christmas from tn, ya'll
-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
there are some damn good poi moves in that vid mr coffee, hyperloops, isolations and 7 beat no wrap. rest is all damn smooth contact staffage!.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by PK [Dreadlocked-Rasclat]:
...isolations...
nah, you're imagining things again man hope u had a great xmas and have a massive new year.

rhys - the first clip of poi stuff @ 13s shows hyperloops and the second @ 42s shows the no wrap 7-beat weave as described above.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
EDIT.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
ya,i watched the vid again, that's some mad crazy poi action, tried the 7 beat loop and scored a "sack tap"* with the new zuni's i got for xmas.

sorry for the confusion, for some reason i missed that part the first time around.

Happy new year to all, hope you guys have as rockin a time as i hope to.

-Rhys

*the phrase "sack tap" was coined i think in the thread "the most painful move to learn"

[ 01. January 2003, 10:31: Message edited by: Mr.Coffee ]

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
haha sacktap

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
does anyone still have this vid? or another of someone doing 7 beat no wrappage? I'm also about to search for some hyperloop and isolation stuff if anyone would care to toss some of that my way as well..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
New link posted here