Page:
Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Now I know that fire poi and glowstick poi are closly related but there are just a few differences. I would like to see some glowstick lessons due to the fact that those few differences are just enough to confuse me a bit. Now I personally would be more than willing to make a few vids to show people the few moves that I know, but I would need help from others. If anybody is interested in this lemme know.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
The only difference that I know between Poi and Glowstick is maybe the length of the string (long and short glowstrings, I prefer long shoestring types) and the Poi is balls instead of a long tube.But other than that, I think you can do all the moves similar, but a bit slower with glowsticks for safety issues winkKinudin

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
Near as I can tell, the motions are the same... (though I actually find glowsticks to be faster than fire, usually?)Besides, slower glowsticks are for weenies.... admittedly, weenies without bruises... but weenies, none the less. wink

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually Kinduin, you have to spin glowsticks a little faster because of their lightness. They don't have the weight to carry them through as poi do. Other than that, you are right, the motions are the same and the lessons done on here with the poi balls are easily translated to glowsticks without having to adapt any part of your body for the movement. Which moves in particular are you having issues with?However, if you wish for glowstick lessons, I am certain if you sift through some raver sites, you will be able to find what you are looking for. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Though this has been beaten to death, The wraps with glowsticks aren't well represented on the site. Not that that bothers me, because wraps are more of a transition than a move to me. I learned with glowsticks first and I didn't have much problem. ------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
N8If you do a "search" you'll find that there have been many informative posts on wraps which can be easily translated to glowsticks.(NYC Ducks after his sarcasm gets the best of him)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i like wraps,no really i can do them,honest...

anyone got a light?

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Raymond, try here POINT! grinI know I am going to get slapped for this, but I am really bored at work. Sue me. tongue------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---[This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 13 February 2002).]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
This just hit me as I was readin' this.Due to the fact that glowsticks are lighter than poi, would it be easier to perform certain moves, weaves for example, due to the fact that you know where your "orbiting projectiles" are at any moment? I'm trying to work out my reverse weave, and it's very hard to keep them going due to the fact that they tend to fly all over the place. If you haven't figured it out, I use glowsticks. If I had a set of poi, I may not have this problem.Any opinions on that?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Glowshow I regret to informe you that your point doesnt count due to the fact that your link does not work!!! Bummer dude!!Pele, it seams to be for me any how the moves that would seam the simplest srew me up.Like Chasing the sun, with that move it seams to me to be more of an arm swing than a poi swing. Moves like that or moves that incorperate that move in them really mess me up for some odd reason.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:glares at pozee:no need to be condescending...just cause i can only see the color swaps when my vcr is going through your clip on COL2 frame by frame...:goes off to practice wraps:

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
There's a difference between spinning fire and spinning glowsticks?If you think spinning glowsticks are lighter than fire, than you should see some of the glowstick poi i've made it the past. Also, fire poi wicks can be made so there are lighter than some glowstick poi out there. Spinning is spinning. It's the same movements. The length of the poi is really the users preference. As for danger factor, glowsticks actually hurt more when you get hit with them, but fire will hurt you if they get tangled around a limb.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

ScRuBBSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
Now here's the REAL test...which hurts more, getting clocked in the eye with a rapidly moving lightweight glowstick mad; or getting bludgeoned in the crotch with a slower but more massive poi? shockedContemplate each of these agonies and come to the conclusion that in order to avoid one you must do the other and to avoid the other, you must do the first. Therefore you must do both to avoid it! grin------------------Ouch, dammit! Frickin poi, stop hitting me!

Ouch, dammit! Frickin poi, stop hitting me!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Thats deep man smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
For the person having trouble with the reverse weave I will give you a pointer as to how I learned it... choke up on your poi until you are almost to the ball/glowstick (whatever) then do the forward weave on one side slowly, as you get to the front of your body... stop and do it in reverse.. keep doing this till you get it.. when you do.. then do the same with the other side.. when you got that.. then do the full weave once and then try to reverse that... do it all exactly the same and you should have no prob.. You do that and you'll have it in no time!------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
quote:
phunky: There's a difference between spinning fire and spinning glowsticks?If you think spinning glowsticks are lighter than fire, than you should see some of the glowstick poi i've made it the past. Also, fire poi wicks can be made so there are lighter than some glowstick poi out there. Spinning is spinning. It's the same movements. The length of the poi is really the users preference. As for danger factor, glowsticks actually hurt more when you get hit with them, but fire will hurt you if they get tangled around a limb.
Thank-You! I'll second that and stand behind it 110%! grin ------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---[This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 17 February 2002).]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

1,325 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry Pele, I stand corrected on the speed issue.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
If you are having difficulties with your glowsticks going everywhere, or spinning them slowly. May I suggest, either using your glowsticks on some chains(versus showlaces), or adding multiple glowsticks. I pefer to spin with two glowsticks on each poi(and I spin with my chains) Just the weight of my chain helps keep them circulating.When I have a difficult move I'm trying to learn, I spin with something heavy, because they move slower and I have more time to react. However at times they can be harder to spin BECAUSE of weight.PLURRÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

1,325 posts

Posted:
Also gets those muscles worked up lol grin

2,905 posts

Posted:
Good idea, CrazyRaverDude. Have any of you ever thought about using fishing line weights. I know some of you "peaceniks" would never be cought dead in a game and fishing store so who knows maybe this is a revolutionary idea. wink wink winkThat was a total joke ppl please no mean comments

1,325 posts

Posted:
wink*walks into a fishing store and asks the store owner*"Hi. can I have 4 feet of fishing line?""Sure!"----HOME----"Look ma! I can spin with fishing line!"*spins quickly*Kinudin - "Mommm! The fishing line is bloody!"Kinudin's mom - *faints*Kinudin - "Holy mother of... mothers! My hand seems to be... bloody!" *faints*---HEAVEN---God - "You were spinning with fishing line weren't you?"Kinudin - *looks at the ground in shame* wink wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Pere (I think it was) used to use fishing weights to weigh her tennis ball practice poi down, as they were light as well. The weights, when they hit you, acted much the same as beaming balls....giving monstrous bruises, concussions, knobs on the noggin.... wink They did work though, as long as you don't mess up or mind split shins, contusions,and I can only imagine what a blow to the nads would be like! shockedHave fun!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

skandarrghmember
12 posts

Posted:
owwwwwwwwwwwwww that must hurt... ------------------i wanna be a rockstar :o)

i wanna be a rockstar :o)

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
When I first found this site...I found the directions to make bag poi. I thought it was an ingenious idea, however they seemed sooooooo light. So in the process, I came up with an ingenious idea! I took a fishing weight and rolled it up in newspaper(with the weight in the middle), and I put some cloth around the newspaper and tied a rope to the cloth. Anyway..after a couple nights of practicing, I discovered why having a fishing weight in your poi is a bad idea. (: I smacked myself in the ear, literally taking a chunk of my ear off. Apparently the centripital(sp?) force of the poi spinning made the fishing weight literally eat through the newspaper so that the only thing between the weight and my ear was the piece of cloth...didn't feel too good. hehePLURRÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

2,905 posts

Posted:
Kinudin, have fun spinnin your fishing line, I must admit your enactment was pretty precise. Maybe you can just tie it to your wrist seen as how your fingers are all on the ground.Hmm looking at the other posts fishing weights could be a bad idea. Thank you very much for that info. You have probably saved me alot of pain.------------------"Flag of the free heart's hope and home By angel hands to valor given,Thy stars have lit the welkin dome, And all their hues were born in heaven!Forever wave that standard sheet, Where breathes the toe but falls before usWith freedom's soil beneath our feet And freedom's banner streaming o'er us!"Albert J. Beveridge

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
Raymond Phule - I think Kinudin might have a hard time tying that fishing line onto his wrists since his fingers are all on the ground...volunteers? smile

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

1,325 posts

Posted:
Aha! I have returned to the boards... I am now typing with my feet since I lost my fingers. *sigh* I miss my fingers wink

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i wasnt trying to be condescending, just a joke whiffle... winki think personally the only thing that i can do with glowsticks that i cannot do with fire is the switch. i mean i could do it, but i dont feel like grabbing a flaming poi with my bare hand, and i dont think i like the feeling of doing poi with gloves on...

anyone got a light?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hehe, i was joking as well, i dont tend to glare, its more of a slack jawed stare of wonder...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I use a heavy dog chain with a key ring on the end to attatch glosticks, tennis ball flags, wick and my eyebrow ring to my poi, becaue of the wieght of the chain it doesn't matter what I put on the end of it it seem to remain the same, is that cheating? I also made my handles out of an old pair of jeans that bravlye dontated themselves for art. After too many blistes and cuts I found out the perfect design. Point is if your chain is heavey enough it doesn't matter what you put on the end. That's what I think anyway. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I use a heavy dog chain with a key ring on the end to attatch glosticks, tennis ball flags, wick and my eyebrow ring to my poi, becaue of the wieght of the chain it doesn't matter what I put on the end of it it seem to remain the same, is that cheating? I also made my handles out of an old pair of jeans that bravlye dontated themselves for art. After too many blistes and cuts I found out the perfect design. Point is if your chain is heavey enough it doesn't matter what you put on the end. That's what I think anyway. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Page: