Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RandragonsbaneGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
well, I've evened out my BTB TTN, and got a sloppy 4 beat reverse BTB weave biggrin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Learned the weird 4 beat reverse TTN thing at fal6 (wrap it further round your arm) , thanks Mr Chutney smile

Feel a lot more confident with antispin flowers, got to start spinning myself round with them now so transitioning from one to another at speed smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I've just been messing around with reels, antispin and cleaning everything up, working body movement, steps, posture and grace into techy tricks. It's all beginning to look smooth and groovy now!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

russtafaristranger
16 posts

Posted:
woo hoo! i finally got round to making my counter-weighted hi-viz jacket sock poi this week, and i've been wibbling away like a mad thing - still drop them half the time but i can feel a whole new world opening up. contact poi is the shiznit! also discovered 5bt ttn totally by accident, and a weird butterfly weave which is like forward antispin weave with your right poi spinning backwards, split time. feels wrong but nice. and i can get into a butterfly hyperloop now, just not out again confused

newmillsidiotBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I have finally worked out how to do the basic butterfly, and learnt a very valuable lesson while trying to learn the 3 beat indoors- don't do it near a lightbulb!
I am working on learning how to split time by 180, but for some reason i just cant do it... >.<

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
stretched out trifoil flowers.

i want to make photo smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

stoatweasleBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
whats an air rap? i was chuckin my sox all over the place the other day, instead of catching them i let them land on my elbow, and with a quik jerk they rap around then back again at which point i grab the end again. is that an air rap?

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
double through wrap under the leg keeping it split time.
release wrap around the neck. a few other neck tricks that only loonies would try. 2 person thread the needle, and a couple other parter tricks

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
olli'ing

biggrin

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

stretched out trifoil flowers

I also want you to take photos.

if i was in London I'd offer to take them for you.

smile

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
FINALY got reverse 3 beat, *woop* turns out i was doing it all along, just didn't realise!! just needed some one there to point out i was doing it right after all!! all got the alternate butterfly and mexican wave down too biggrin this makes me very happy!

So yeah i found the twirl club last night, and so got happy with tonnes of people to show me things (and tell me the things i was doing were actually right!!) had a bit of a play with the diablo too!

Just gotta work on my planes and get teh whole things tidied up a bit. then its 4 & 5 beat weaves!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, ive spent a few days with brettstar, followed by attending common ground, so, new moves:

antispin flowers, buzzsaw and antispin buzzsaw flowers, butterfly and butterfly buzzsaw flowers, inverted weave, basic insides, butterfly barrel roll, the matrix, wibbles, quarter timed airwraps, hyperloop turns and the hipthrust smile

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

bblounewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I can not even master the forward five beat weave!!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
hyperloops! after realizing that what i have been trying to learn for 2 weeks is infact hyperloop buzzsaw!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ummmm....... playing with antispin crossers,
btb rev 5bt weave, and straightjackets.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
 Written by: idancelikeapenguinme

hyperloops! after realizing that what i have been trying to learn for 2 weeks is infact hyperloop buzzsaw!

Yay! Finally! smile

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I finally got the butterfly weave! Woo! I got it a few days ago, but didn't have net access then.

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Airwraps. Just now.
Forgot how to do them about a year ago when I learnt hyperloops.

Imagned the movemant of the poi, and the way they had to go, then drilled it, then got it.

Then rememberd that I did infact learn airwraps somewhere inbetween a year ago and today, as I rememberd the process of doing an airwrap..
Then I rememberd who taught me.
Then rememberd why I couldnt remember.

I think I should refrain from smoking the special stuff whilst Mr LtC teaches me things from now on ubblol

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
ubblol

That post made mem laugh lots, Miss Aimee...

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

bblounewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I do not know what most of you are talking about... hyperloops and buzzy wuzzy and jingle jangles..

but I did the 5 beat weave tnite in my unis circus society..

yey.

so yeh.. hopefully now I have some people to help me I will be able to come on this thread lots!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Some lovely front flower thing mico taught me.
no idea what it's called (yet?) so I'll just have to explain it.

Butterfly infront, move both hands to one side, both poi spin outside your arms, move both to infront of you, one up one down with a gap the length of your poi, move both to right side, then complete the circle by going back to centre with the other hand on top this time.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
Well I finaly got btb 4 bt weave, and what im currently calling flower fountains, but im sure has already beem created and under another name, but heres a dexcription- Start off doing a regular forwards, non-anti-spin flower, then as right hand comes down bring to right side on opposite end, with left hand flowing. then as right hand comes down, bring to left side.. Looks kind of like a figure eight flower whend done right. Sorry for the dreadful description.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I was trying to figure out hyperloops the other day, and learned isolated hyperloops instead.

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Antispin "weird" 4 petal flower with the petals in the corners.
I have a hunch people call this Quadfoil ?

Also I finally sucseeded with 'em Buzzaw fountains. I hope I get the terminology right.. Ya know.. transition from FW Buzzaw to backward to forward.. always keeping them in buzzaw going under your arm and over your shoulder. Maybe they are called buzzaw flowers ? AAAAAH =)

Also I find it kinda sweet that when doing weave you don't really have to pass it on the side of your body.. working on it you can almost pass the weave beat in front of you.. there's still a 30-40 degree bend, but I think with practice you can get it to look almost like it's not passing at your side at all.. weird..

Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
Finally started getting the isolated 3 beat weave, parallel lockouts and anti-spin reels, but now I've forgotten how to tie my shoes. OH! And a 3 beat butterfly weave. Wee!
EDITED_BY: Stick Man (1160434730)

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

hannah.katarskiBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Huzzah!!!
I have only had my Poi for about 3 weeks. Just figured out the 3 beat weave this arvo. I got it almost straight away and had to laugh at myself til I cracked myself in the head. Then I spent about half hour trying to figure out how I did it.

Fiiinalyy realised that it was just like an off set figure eight move I figured out - don't know if it has a name - only difference being that I change wrists over. EEEEE!

Now I just have to grow some balls and try some of the harder ones! eek

russtafaristranger
16 posts

Posted:
i got reverse l-r hyperloop cleanly today, i can finally do 'em all 4 ways. minted! bring on the HL fountains.
i got white raven's stall loop thingy as well, sort of, mine goes forwards to reverse but still very nice.

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
just got huggies! finally! after about 30 bloody years of trying (translates to approximately a month wink ) all it took was someone to show me twice! *phew* now onto anti-spin weaves! see you all in about 60 years! (you do the math)

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
I started spinning about 5 weeks ago and these are the moves I've learned up until now:

Low Turn, Tuck Turn and 2 stalls
Butterfly (forwards and reverse), Giant Butterfly, TTN, Overhead butterfly and Butterfly isolation.
3 beat Weave (forward and reverse), 5 beat Weave (forward), 180 deg weave and 360 deg weave.weavesmiley
Normal Flower.
I can do a buzzsaw, but getting into it from a 3 beat weave is still a bit tricky, I manage it about 1 in 5 times.

I'm currently working on the corkscrew, the windmill, btb weave and I'll probably start working on a reverse 5 beat weave soon.

I'll let you know when I've nailed some more moves.

This really is a very addictive hobby. I just ordered my LED sock poi today, so I can't wait.
biggrin

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
I nailed the corkscrew last night!!!!!!!

Got the transition from the 3 beat weave, but I still need to tidy it up a bit.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

Page: ......