Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I finally realized how to cleanly get into butterfly huggies every time smile
but still can't figure out regular huggies at all, lol.

YellowFever - a 3bt behind the back weave in wall plane... is more commonly known as the 'btb waist wrap'.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

YellowFever - a 3bt behind the back weave in wall plane... is more commonly known as the 'btb waist wrap'.

umm questionable...

2bt weave to rev 2bt weave, btb in wallplane is a 'btb waistwrap'.

according to most, waistwraps are based on even beat weaves and thus involve 'carries' (spread-out circles) smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

russtafaristranger
16 posts

Posted:
Been a busy boy these last couple of weeks. Nailed butterfly flowers, BTB butterfly waistwrap, split time TTN weave, forward antispin weave, buzzsaw fountain, through the legs airwrap and airwrap handwrap. biggrin Considering i never even heard of most of these a month or so ago i reckon thats pretty good going. Also stuck my 2 poi together and did some suicides and a few beats of propeller - love this style, have to make some proper counterweights soon.
Next up, backwards barrel rolls and antispin weave i think. Btw, whats a 'second degree inversion'. Is that a barrel roll or something different?

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Yay! Havent learned anything new with poi in a while. During my last CJ session my playlist went to some trance, so I pulled out the sockpoi and in one night learned a reverse 5 beat weave, a behind the back 3 beat weave, thread the needle, and a 3 beat horizontal weave biggrin

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

Obi_Wan_LynobiBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Woot! Well pleased!!!

Nailed the behind the back butterfly and can change from that to forward butterfly and back again. Also just got the reverse 2 beat. This is one happy Jedi!!!

I once saved the universe in a big yellow truck

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
not perfect but after two days of trying finally got the reverse 3bt weave last night.

was v. please and celebrated with more beer. it is now questionable if i will still be able to do it sober!!

was very very VERY happy!!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I *think* I did 1 rotation of a full waist wrap yesterday, if I understand the move right. This is what I did (messily):

2bt weave on the left side to 2bt on the right (wall plane), crossing in front with left hand leading. Then carry the left hand back to the left in front and the right hand to the left behind the back. Then 2bt weave on the left to 2 bt weave on the right with the cross behind the back. Then carry back to the start again.

Is that a full waist wrap? Either way it's cool! biggrin

Also, antispin flowers! Normal and butterfly! At last! Woohoo! bounce

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
kip ups while spinning smile ill post a video of it soon

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
samboflux - yep, that's a full waistwrap biggrin

there's three more ways to do it mind... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
3? Arse. And there I was thinking I was all clever... wink

So, you can reverse it (ie right to left), what else? Poi direction, so the carries are low? Ouch, my head hurts even thinking about that! ubbloco

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you got it smile

i can do all eight ww and btb ww but can still only do two full ww redface

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Dude, that's a lot more than me! I can do the forwards ones both directions (haven't tried low carries yet tho, next thing on the agenda), and bugger all BTB ones.. I broke my sunglasses while wearing them trying to get the btb! cool wink

I can't figure out how to get into them, so I figured starting with a front waist wrap is as good a way as any... any tips for practising btb?

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Anti spin 360.

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Nadojourneyman
61 posts

Posted:
Ok I'm not amazing at Poi so the TTN forward and reverse i just learnt is blowing my mind.

Im working on a transition between the two atm. And throwing some other stuff into it as well

Chris369BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
I learnt how to do a 3 bt weave fw today, was trying for an hour or two and then finally managed to pull it off and i can do it everytime now smile

I want to do it backwards now.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
finally nailed backwards 3bt weave, took me long enough!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SamboFlux

I can't figure out how to get into them, so I figured starting with a front waist wrap is as good a way as any... any tips for practising btb?

try just spinning the two beat weaves in the wallplane btb (waistwrap) positions.

if you learn all of them before you even try getting between them (which is what a btb ww is) you'll be much better prepared and should have few problems learning the actual ww's smile

if you're mor of a 'jump straight in' learner, try doing the 1-2-3-carry sequence with your poi and hands together and gradually split them so they're in follow-time.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Quality, cheers Cole! Once again, you're a star! hug smile

Sambo

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
Finally managed to get the fountain, still finiding it hard to make it look tight and in its palnes. But atleast i can get through the steps with out braining myself anymore. Well regularly.

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

Obi_Wan_LynobiBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Somehow the reverse 3 beat just fell into place the first time I tried it. Plus I nailed the 4 beat weave. Happy days!!!

I once saved the universe in a big yellow truck

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
AT LAST, I JUST LEARNT THE FLOWER!! Forward and backspin (not antispin yet, though)

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Parallel pendulums

Parallel wall plane pendulums(1 half beat) > Catch

with RH right side, LH Poi head >> With catched

head to opposite pendulms(1 half beat) > Release

to Parallel wall plane pendulums (1 half beat).

You can repeate it on your left side continuously too.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
poi-ish fishtails

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Today I got my arms round btb waist wrap on the other side (having learnt the first side a coupla weeks ago), and also incorporated some stalls into general spinning having learnt how to do them last night (thanks Chutney!) smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
antispin parallel reels - thanks for the inspiration icon smile

also, parallel arms same direction flowers (bit like a reel, bit like a fountain but neither), split and parallel time poi, spin and antispin.

i like our new mirrors ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RandragonsbaneGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
Yay! My last post was on page 73 about 2-3 beat weaves and windmills...
Now I've added:
TTN
reverse spin TTN
4-5 beat weaves (forward and backward)
3 beat BTB reverse weave
What I think is an isolation weave...
What I think is an antispin weave
some crazy btb wraps and transfers
4 beat windmill (probably 5 too but haven't tried)
Mexican Wave
A handful of wraps/stalls

biggrin Progressing along nicely. Can't get the BTB 5 beat reverse or ANY BTB forward weave... and my windmill is only in one direction... the other direction just doesn't exist wink

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

SA butterfly anti-spin.
Weave anti-spin.

ta, :R

POI THEO(R)IST

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
learnt some weird variation of corkscrew. have a feeling its like the begining of a corkscrew that i haven't quite worked out how to finish yet....

:S

managed to try the beginings of some butterfly stuff too, but inadvertantly nearly choked my self a few times...

eatyourbiscuitBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
ive been able to do a heap of complicated stuff that seems complicated to learn for ages but yesterday i learned my own personal jedi move....the behind the back 3 beat weave... i have been trying it for weeks with no joy and then yesterday i suddenly had a flash of inspiration and i got it, its still a bit sloppy on occasion but i do have it, its weird how you can try a move for ages with no joy and all you get is a lot a ouch and then one day something changes and you have the move and you cant for the life of you see what was so hard about it in the first place... im so chuffed i managed to get it, desite having a fairly wide range of tricks and moves under my belt i felt that the only thing that would make me any good was the btb weave, now i must find another move that mystifies me personaly

Andy

"...be all that you can be, just as long as you are free..."

RandragonsbaneGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
 Written by: eatyourbiscuit

ive been able to do a heap of complicated stuff that seems complicated to learn for ages but yesterday i learned my own personal jedi move....the behind the back 3 beat weave... i have been trying it for weeks with no joy and then yesterday i suddenly had a flash of inspiration and i got it, its still a bit sloppy on occasion but i do have it, its weird how you can try a move for ages with no joy and all you get is a lot a ouch and then one day something changes and you have the move and you cant for the life of you see what was so hard about it in the first place... im so chuffed i managed to get it, desite having a fairly wide range of tricks and moves under my belt i felt that the only thing that would make me any good was the btb weave, now i must find another move that mystifies me personaly

Andy

Well... I nailed the BTB 3 beat reverse not too long ago, and I've more recently smoothed it out only to realize that I can't transfer in and out of it... Then I decided to come up with combinations in and out, and in the process learned btb butterflies on my left side, btb butterflies, BTB TTN (a little sloppy still), and a few btb wraps in various places on my arms/legs. My new task is airwraps.... got them about 3/10 tries now, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong for the other 7

Page: ......