AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Mucking around late Friday night, I discovered I could thread the needle (forwards) in split time shocked I can't see any mention in the archives of this, but someone out there must have experience with it and I'd love to hear your thoughts....ade

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ive been tinkering with this one recently and cant quite seem to get it. Anyone have any clear explanations on how to do this move?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
same movement as the regular thread the needle but with an extra wrist flick to keep it split-time.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Bassman actually posted a video of himself doing this move. Even having studied that, I can't quite get my hands to do it--they keep falling back into even-time.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks Adam, Knew I'd seen a reference to it recently - just couldn't find it in the archives. Thanks Bassman for posting the vid.And yeah phunky I agree it's got to do with the extra wrist flick to keep it split.ade

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
phunky -- same movement? wrist flick? hmm... Well, here's how I look at it:The regular same time TTN involves rotating your hands in a forward circular motion. 1) right hand goes forward, left hand goes back 2) right hand goes down, left hand goes up 3) left hand goes forward, right hand goes back 4) left hand goes down, right hand goes up. Then repeat.The split time TTN involves rotating your hands in a sideways circular motion. It's like taking the same time TTN and turning it on it's side. That's basically what happens, the whole pattern turns sideways except that your arms stay where they are. The implications of this are that during the circular motion you have the option of either rotating left-over-right, or right-over-left, or better yet, you can combine the two together so that you have left-over-right, and then right-over-left etc.. (this is what you see in my video) This way it feels/looks your hands are rotating in a forward circular motion like the split time TTN, but it's 1 1/2 times as slow cuz you are really circling over the other hand in a lateral motion each time instead of just circling forward. I have some diagrams if anyone is interested. These have really helped me visualize this stuff. (https://www.siteswap.org/test/articles/poi1/ttn.html)The diagram of interest will be the one second from the bottom. That's the full blown left-over-right, right-over-left TTN. The yellow circles represent the left and right hands. The orange circles are the poi of course. The dashed outline means that that hand is farther back the hand with the solid outline. So basically the poi can never pass through a hand with a solid outline. Ummm, I think that's a good enough explanation. I dunno. Are these diagrams helpful to anyone? Here are my vids in case anyone didn't catch the url: (https://siteswap.org/poi/)

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
isn't that what i said? :P------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
well I guess you fooled me smile If only I had known that my 2 paragraphs of description and my diagrams could have all been reduced down to 2 words: "wrist flick." hehe... I wonder if "wrist flick" could solve the problem of world hunger. hmmm... something to ponder.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Adamrice, it's easy when you get it. Practice by doing a forward butterfly on your left side. Now cross your left hand over followed a beat by your right hand. now you're doing a reverse butterfly on your right side. Practice crossing your right hand over to your left side followed a beat by your left hand. After you have both of those down put them together. It's the same hand motion as a weave. Then learn it in reverse, then do it lower fountain style, and your set. It's extreamly easy after you get it but all moves are.EricI hope I helped a littleI'm not very good at explaining stuff

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.