Page:
Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Shibaki showed me a sweet move this past weekend. You start by doing the one-handed butterfly. Then you can just simply flip your hand over your head and do one rep behind your head, then flip you hand back over to the front. I envisioned another move, maybe someone a little more experienced than I could try it out and tell me if they could make it work..I couldn't. smileTry doing a forward butterfly, and on the downswing, swing your arm under your legs(jumping up in the air), and move your hand behind your back. (one handed BTB btfly) then merely switch it back to the front the same way.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Sounds cool CRD, although I find one-handed poi far too hard!keep up the learnin`------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hmm intersting smile never thought of one handed butterflyl between the legs..I'l give it a shot! smileJosh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'll try that, I doubt i'll have much luck though. A fun one I learned a couple of days ago is a one hand butterfly neck wrap. It wasn't as difficult as it sounded. I'v been practicing one handed butterfy combos, your combos going to give me a lot of bruses.ThanksEric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Thanks for trying it guys.. smile Let me know if any of you can pull it off. I managed to *ALMOST* get the one-handed weave down. I got the extra spin on one side, and I can get them to the other side, still staggered, but they usually tangle at this point. smileI also tried bouncing the poi above my head, and in front of my head(alternating every beat). I was told it gives a weird bouncing effect when looked at. (and was told it looked cool)plurCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Shibaki showed me a sweet move this past weekend. You start by doing the one-handed butterfly. Then you can just simply flip your hand over your head and do one rep behind your head, then flip you hand back over to the front.

The one handed overhead butterfly is possible its just very very difficult to pull off, the difficult part isnt making the butterfly go behind your head its the upward swing which messes it up totally. It just need loads of practice and alot of luck, I find the stretchyness of sock poi make this easyer to do.

I wanted to see if anyones got any tips on the One Handed Buzzsaw, I saw it first in [Old link]'s video 'More poi in the rain', but I dont remember exactly which one thats in one or two.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
I don't quite understand one hand butterfly, the first poi is on your first and middle fingers right?

Where do you put the second one?
What can you do after a few beats?
And how do you get it back onto your other hand?
Do you have to stop or can you do it whilst still spinning?

Help!

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
You can go from two handed poi to one handed and back again while still spinning, the trick is to keep your fingers OUT of the double loop handles, something that takes a little practice.

I found the easiest way to learn was to hold the handle of the poi that's on top between my thumb and index fingers, and hold the lower poi between my ring and little fingers. This method allows for maximum separation of the poi handles, but with practice, you'll be able to pull off this move with the handles closer together.

Once you've got it you can..... take it OTH ( try holding it there for a few beats )....kick straight out with your leg and wrap the poi on your shin ( the poi will unwrap into the same one handed BF)...... try split time, with more of a side to side hand motion, rather than up and down.

One handed buzzsaw,,,now this I have to check out.....

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Thankyou. smile

How do you go into a normal buzzsaw?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Ahwell.. looks like the "more poi in the rain" vids were pulled, so can't see the one handed buzzsaw, tho I have a strong feeling that it's something entirely different (mostly cause one handed buzzsaw is a slight bit impossible). You sure it wasn't just a one handed figure eight?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Yeah I tried looking at them earlier too.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
If you weave and stall one poi on under forearm and transfer both handles to one hand you can spin one handed butterfly, from there stick your free hand out into top portion of butterfly and bounce stall them off forearm into rev butterfly, you can do this off of one leg, and arm and a leg, or a neck wrap-very experimental, doable but epxerimental.. THis will blow your mind, switch handles as the poi are top of swing, throw handles from hand to hand, poi will switch direction of butterfly, If you flip your hand over your shoulder one handed it is different from over the head, once you can get it over your shoulder you can turn with them too.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Ohhh onehanded moves I love it biggrin

I se that you got the onehanded butterfly both infront and over your head and between your legs but dont forgett the splittime onehande butterfly. Way more nicer and fun to play around with.

Try to get them in splittime and to the weave, easyer than it sounds like and try to pit your head in and do a onehande splittime butterfly with a double neckwrap.
Sound weird but its way more easy than it sounds like.

And learn to switch from onehanded weave or buzsaw (dont know what its called what im doing) to butterfly. And the easiest way of doing that is when you do a ordinary one handed buzzaw you just turn 180 and at the same time you wra[p one of them around your arm and it will come out as the butterfly move.

Learn this with right and left and then combine. 4 poi, 2 in each hand thats my goal but for now its only flowerisolations for me :P

LOVE!

/./Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
confused

You what?!
lol

That sounds complicated, I've got mexican wave and I've got overhead butterfly. I want to try n learn lots of easy moves first so that I've got lots to show, i'm trying to get weave n buzzsaw atm too. I wish there was more space in my house to practise, it's so windy in our garden, really offputting!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
something inspired me to try a one handed butterfly double neckwrap a few months ago, and not only did i get it clean on the first try, it also helped me learn the OTH one-hand butterfly turn. yay!! one-handed split-time same bicep double wraps are still HARD tho...

what's next? one-handed btb waist wraps?

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
I read the text I wrote and I dont even understand it so I made a short clip when im doing the onehanded butterfly in splitime however you wont see the neckwrap cos i made the shittiest pair of giant poi from a pair of pantyhouse and I couldnt manage to do the neckwrap with those, sorry!

https://www.thedivine.se/MVI_2256.AVI

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
I learnt 3bt weave in 20mins last night! biggrin Still haven't got one handed butterfly yet but I was thinking it thru in my head last night and I'll give it another shot later today.

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I went to a Mutaytor show recently and one guy looked like he was doing two one-handed weaves at once. It was pretty amazing, but from a distance looked like double staff. It seemed like double one-handed poi would be a lot harder than double staff (of course, I can't do staff at all, so I'm just guessing). Is there any specific benefit to one over the other?

One-handed buzz-saw, eh? I'm not sure I can even picture the hand movement needed for that........

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: like my poi, my heart is on fire

I read the text I wrote and I dont even understand it so I made a short clip when im doing the onehanded butterfly in splitime however you wont see the neckwrap cos i made the shittiest pair of giant poi from a pair of pantyhouse and I couldnt manage to do the neckwrap with those, sorry!

https://www.thedivine.se/MVI_2256.AVI

wait, are you talking about a split-time 1H butterfly neckwrap? i tried that and couldn't quite make it work either with both poi at once. armwraps are a go with same or opposite arm, but the neck is tricky. some day...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
try 360 turning split time bf, its pretty hard but looks great.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Its actually pretty easy to get. Just play with the onehanded splittime and when the meet on the right side (if yop are using youre right hand) just bend forward and put your head in and move to the right 180 degrees. I can upload a movie soon if you wont get it?
//Thomas

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: like my poi, my heart is on fire

Its actually pretty easy to get. Just play with the onehanded splittime and when the meet on the right side (if yop are using youre right hand) just bend forward and put your head in and move to the right 180 degrees. I can upload a movie soon if you wont get it?
//Thomas

ooh. i finally got good bfly neckwraps split time with two hands. smile) i didn't think that it was a 4-beat move, and was only threading it on one side... now it's clean as a whistle! imma stick with these for a while i think before trying it one handed. but i definitely get the drift. a vid would always be useful for illustration too tho. biggrin

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yeah try turning it 360!
man that video was pretty cool a?

i really liked the foot work, it was good. one thing i like doing differently with two poi in hand is keeping more side on when doing the butterflies, i find it easier to avoid cracking myself.
*rubbs head gingerly*

but the neck wrap, with fire?? lol
gee, u guys must b hard core

one thing (refering to earlier in the thread), instead of doing a low pass butterfly through the legs, why not do it under your elbow, and instead of a high pass over the head why not over the elbow.

just look at the video by 'like my heart...........' he does it real nice in places (and even in split time!!!), just flip your wrist over guys, and the poi will go. it makes for easier moves in the long run.

also for turning a 360, if you go over the top through the first 180 its easier to to go underneath for the second 180.

an interesting thing for us to do, bearing in mind the video posted on this thread, is to ask ourselves, so theres where the two poi are going, what about poi 3 and 4 in the other hand?

any ideas?

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Ohhhhh yes in my wet dreams :P

No seriously, I have bin playing around with four poi (tried to play around) but gived up cos it just gonna take to long time to get it flowing!

I hate when you cant get things into a certaint level of flowi, if I cant get it flowing I give up and this is one of those things.

The first thing you shall practice is duoble onehanded butterfly and to turn while doing that. DAMN ITS HARD!
And also spin al four of them the same direction and turn but still, DAMN ITS HARD!

But it is possible so just go out and play!

GOOD LUCK and please make it cos I so wanna se someone do it, think it would be awesome :P (wet dreams)

//Thomas

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yeah a.
just getting 4 going can be a hassle

its not gonna take so long if you get your foot work going man, i can see where you can improve.
unfortunately i havent got a vid cam so i cant prove it yet, but i can do 4 poi well.

all sorts of moves..................................................... but only butterflies, i never saw the point of spinning 4 poi like 2 staffs (it is cool, but no where near as enjoyable or challenging for me as butterflies)

so i'll put up a few basics to get you enthused wink

the way i see it there are 4 basic turns with butterflys. either your hand goes up/over or down/under through the first 180 then vice versa 4 the second 180. 'like my poi.......', one thing i didnt see you do on the video is go under, you probably can im sure, but its the only constructive criticism i can make on your video wink

obviously you can put both hands up or down to start, or have one up and one down.

with 4 it really is foot work, theres too much that can go wrong to really fluke it if your foot work is going awry

so, if im going 4 a double hi pass first ill stand there feet shoulder width apart, then take a step forward with the right foot into a left back stance (insert your preferred side on stance here)
from here i can reverse it, or by putting my weight on the right foot i can swing the left foot round finishing the 360 by bringing the poi under.

until the flow is going try work on straight lines.
keep your elbows in and try to stay side on with your stances, not to much crossing your shoulders over where your feet are

ummmmmm

im noticing more and more these days that to get the flow your hands and knees have to move in harmony. its a load of old guff, but the poi do move better with 'internal energy' movement than just ripping them round and hoping for a painless result (rubs head gingerly, i use wooden poi with-some would say, a fairly cavalier attitude to getting bashed on the nut. but u learn how to dodge and the weight is nice)

the style i do moves and generates power on the inward breath; the point im getting at is we need to breath to get the flow. once all the technique is there the breathing is the last thing to come. generally cause with 4 its concentration capital and max poi avoidance early warning detection, i mean who has time to remember their breathing?

anyway, you guys can do it. i posted up the first 4 moves i learnt 4 4 poi in about 2001 they might be there on the site still. feel free to tax my brain on how to do it or give me ideas to spin. ill re write them for interested people if need b.

its such a lonely little world im on with poi lol.

im glad people are starting to get interested in 4

we might not be jedi (lol not to offend anyone) but we are the elite.

we, what/who am i babbling about?

oh yes, me myself and i

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Daaaaaaamn dut, thats some quality poi. thats an awesome one hand butterfly you got. Keep practicing that stuff broseph... as for that one handed move, it sounds pretty gnarly, perhaps you can jump over it, and instead of jumping back in the normal position, while doing the btb one handed butterfly you can move it over your head, making a circle butterfly.. anyways... noooice thinking there bro wink

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Eh, hah, i just thought of an idea when i closed the forum section... but, how bout you do the butterfly one handed, and add a butterfly hand wrap... if you think about it, it will work... if you dont know what a butterfly wrap is, its when you hold you fingers out so then butterfly's "wings" would wrap around your hand then youd seperate your hands. but try it with one hand and instead of trying to seperate your hand (for its impossible) try to bounce it once it hits your hand... just an idea, not sure if it will work

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
man. i f-ed up a lit one-handed butterfly neckwrap for the first time this weekend and had to scramble out from under them while my beard was scorching... that's what i get for starting it with my off-hand i guess. i immediately tried again and got it clean, but maybe i need to reevaluate what i can do every time and what i can only do most of the time when i'm tired. lol.

i lived this time, but everyone be careful with these, for real. practice messing up and getting them off your neck quickly if something goes wrong BEFORE you light up.

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
And here is a big warning! I was doing double and one handed double neckwraps before a serios accident in Thailand. My partner that I performed with has I dont know how many years experience but this time he stucked when he did the double neckwrap.
It ended up with a skintransplantation from his tigh so please if you like those moves, please do it with you practicingpoi.
Ive never do the double neckwraps anymore with firepoi even though its best feeling you can have as a fireperformer, I mean 2 burning poi wrapped around your neck, you cant get any closer to the fire if it isnt fireropes biggrin

But again, have respect for this move!

//Thomas

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
first thing I have to say, like my poi my heart is on fire, that BTB buzzsaw looks insane.
Secondly, normal one handed butterfly isn't to bad, I find the easiest way to get into it is just do normal butterfly(only with one hand out of the loops) then while spinning put the loops into one hand and continue, hands do a short of shaking hand motion so to speak.
I've got behind the head pretty well done the one I'm working on is turing the butterfly sideways then going sideways behind the back...
Kinda screwy description but I hope you get the point.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
ok, im gettin a head spin just reading half this stuff. i can do a one handed- butterfly,- figure 8 and turn, and a- wexican wave, but what on earth is a buzzsaw?

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

Page: