Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yes, it's official. When I became a third-year medical student, I had to get up at 4:45 every morning to be at the hospital by 5:30 so that I could pre-round on my patients. So I needed a little something to help me get going so that I didn't keel over fast asleep in the middle of examining a patient.

Tea wasn't doing it for me. It's too hot, so it takes too long to cool down until you can drink it and it doesn't have enough caffeine.

So I discovered...coffee.

Hello, everyone. My name's Mike.
(Hi, Mike)
I'm a coffee addict.
(We love you, Mike).

I used to be proud of the fact that I didn't drink coffee. I considered coffee drinkers to be drug addicts, even if the drug is mostly harmless. But now I'm one of the rank and file who lines up each morning to pour some of my money into the evil corporation known as Starbucks. It's no longer a surge of energy in the morning to bring me up to the hyperspace mental speeds required for the practice of medicine...it's simply that I can't think straight without my morning 16 oz (that's almost a half liter, folks).

But, as you all know, I'm not the type to be half-arsed about anything. By golly, if I'm going to be a coffee drinker, I'm going to do it right. So I started to study coffee. Did you know that there are two kinds of beans, Arabica and Robusta? The former is the finer, found in specialty coffees like Starbucks and the latter is found in commercial blends like "Folgers." Or did you know that adding a pinch of cardamom to the coffee in your drip brewer makes a new and interesting flavor? Or about all the different options there are for brewing coffee?

Not only am I a coffee addict, I'm a friggin' conniseur.

It's sad folks. It's really sad.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Chai latte's were my savior until I found White Chocolate and Turtle mochas

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
AAHHH...CANT...TYPE...MUST......MAKE.....COFFEE..........* sips *. ahhh. ok, so im also addicted 2 coffee. can ne1 help me? i must drink like 15-20 cups aday. wot if i eat it?

Same as Dostoevskiymember
54 posts

Posted:
I've saw somebody here talking about mate, and for sure it's just the thing you need...

when it gets colder that -25, you don't really care

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
mmmmm.... coffee.

i am also well acquinted with the giver life aka coffee.
when ploughing through all-nighter engineering projects, i live on coffee and cheese on toast.

although the coffee does tend to upset my stomach a bit if i drink too much.... i also discovered that drinking lots of coffee is a short period of time has a minor laxative effect.

but i think ive been doing to many late nights. im getting to the stage where i simply cant get up in the morning. i dont know how you can get up that early mike!

take care all.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I did discover this morning that caffeine is good for headaches.

So it does have that advantage. Tylenol works better, though.

-Mike

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
i aint found a miricle cure 2 heal headaches, but i found sumfin that corses 1..... lisnin 2 black sabouth full blast wilst eatin a curry. i descuverd that theres a really nice coffee...its vanila coffee n its well lush!! the hazlnut aint 2 bad, but i giv a thumbs up 4 vanila.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
I did discover this morning that caffeine is good for headaches
of course it's good for caffeine withdrawl headaches

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
mmmmm.
coffee.
lunch.
byebye.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lïghtnïng:
I did discover this morning that caffeine is good for headaches.

Actually if you look at alot of headache medicines Mike, caffeine is listed as an ingredient, especially in those made for migraines. I used to get migraines frequently and coffee always helped some. You might know more about this than I but something about how it opens the blood vessels and speeds up the heart rate so blood flows faster thus slowing down the swelling that causes headaches, at least that is the theory I read.
Aspirin works on the same principle but instead of opening blood vessels, it thins the blood.
But I have to admit, a cup of Mocha Latte taste much better than the bitter shell of a Tylenol.

I have to eat when I drink coffee, even if it is something small. If I don't, I get the jitters pretty badly.

I have to share a quick story about when my mom "quit" coffee. She was up to drinking a full ten pot maker before 3pm. Due to medical issues she had to quit. She was so freakin nasty with withdrawls that we made a mad dash to get out of the house before she laid eyes on us, even my father. Eventually this subsided and her addictions turned towards tea but man, I swear it was like she had been possessed by a PMS beast..crying one minute, hugging the next, tearing off heads the next....

Just a word of warning to my fellow addicts..once you start, for the love of those around you..DON'T STOP!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Right, stop pissing about and get hooked on some real drugs you pussy - .....

Coffee! - Pah.....amateurs....

(*020 7730 0009 - London narcotics helpline
This is a quitters helpline, not a number you can call if you need help to score

Does deal with caffeine addiction if you need it (no seriously) *)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
Actually if you look at alot of headache medicines Mike, caffeine is listed as an ingredient, especially in those made for migraines. I used to get migraines frequently and coffee always helped some. You might know more about this than I but something about how it opens the blood vessels and speeds up the heart rate so blood flows faster thus slowing down the swelling that causes headaches, at least that is the theory I read.
Aspirin works on the same principle but instead of opening blood vessels, it thins the blood.

Nobody is quite sure why caffeine is good for migraines. However, aspirin and the other Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) work by inhibiting the production of a pain-producing molecule called prostaglandin.

-Mike

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I liked your post astar

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think if you exploit your pain inhibiting glands to much you end up ruining them.

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Flameflinger:
I dont get it?
Does no one drink coffee simply because they like it?

I wanted to say that i, too, am horribly addicted to coffee. i love it, and plus i quit smoking, so i needed something to replace it with. but coffeaholics beware-- too much coffee can be fatal. of course, you'd have to drink like 60 cups a day, but still...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
quote:
i live on coffee and cheese on toast.
same here!!! ohhh Im stoked!! only when you come to play at our house you have to drink "exotic" coffe and have MARMITE and cheese on toast...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
ne liv near me because IV RUN OUT OF COFFEE!!!

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
i was at a friends party once and had some pure caffine powder...... dont play with cafine powder..... anyone......

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'm addicted to love....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
word to the dantana! :nods wildly in agreement:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: