Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
for all of you who get hired for events or other things. how do you get these jobs. do you live in an area where there is a high demand for performers or do you advertise in anyway. i think it would be great to perform. how do you purpose i get into it?------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
pj was, for some reason unable to post a reply to this thread. Please find it below:pjMember Posts: 117From: Baltimore, MD, USARegistered: May 2001 posted 14 June 2001 06:13 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------It seems as if this particular forum is configured not to allow replies to topics, so this is a reply to Girl From Mars' query.I don't really consider myself a performer, but I have been casually working down that road. I had only been doing fire for a few weeks when I performed at a warehouse party for about 150 people. A few weeks later, Prote and I did another indoor gig at a party for about 75 people. Just a few weeks ago, we hooked up with some street performers and worked with them for a bit, and will probably do some busking together in the future. Another friend is working to get us into an SM club in DC. All this just happened by word of mouth. So far, we've just been doing this for the fun of it.If you want to take it seriously, there is far more involved than just getting gigs. At the very least, you will need insurance and you will need to know how to work with the local fire marshall to get the apropriate permits. I *strongly* suggest that you do not perform without insurance or permits. (Even though this is what I have been doing so far. But you probably already know I'm a bit of a loose canon...)Pele sent me a whole bunch of documents to assist in this process, but I have been too busy to look at them (Actually, I do not own MS-Word and my Unix tools cannot cope with them.)Once you've got the legalities worked out, it is really all a matter of networking. Try to hook up with other performers (jugglers, clowns, magicians, etc.) in your area and see if you can work with them. Ask them if they have any booking agents. Get business cards printed with your name, phone number, and something like "performance for hire" printed on them. Be sure to have a stack sitting out next to your tip hat if you are out busking.I'm sure there is a lot more, but I'll let the peeps who have much more experience fill in the gaps I've left out.-p. [This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 14 June 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
FYI -- this message was originally posted in the "Performers For Hire" section which does not allow replies. I posted the above reply in that section by starting a new thread. Since then, the topic was moved over here to Social Discussion, which does allow replies.-p.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
uh huuuh. that makes more sense!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.