Forums > Social Chat > saintly types and any advice would be great

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so friday just past we had an awsome twirling session in the heart of the city next to the river torrens, one of the twirlers brought his decks etc out and djed it up so we had a mini doof in the heart of the city. we had around 40 ppl come along and spin (which is alot for sleepy old adelaide) everything was wicked everyone got along and ppl where happily teaching away.

after a few hours ppl started leaving but there where still 15 ppl still there twirling it up and then a group of 7 drunk guys came up and one of who was really aggressive. instantly 5 of the twirlers left im really hoping they come back as for 3 of them it was the first time they had come out to have a twirl. my friend came up to tell me that my girl friend really needed me to come to where she was. when i got there she was so upset and told me one of the guys had threatened to hit her and break the djs decks, and to call the police.

they only took two minutes to get there but damn was it a long two minutes.

we have got a really beautiful twirling spot with lots of open space and power in the heart of the city but sadly alot of undesireable types come though. we dont want to change location but at the same time we dont want to be hassled by angry ppl (i know i want my cake and to eat it to) we are thinking about talking to the council/police to have some sort of security ppl present to keep it safe for everyone. if anyone has any experince with dealing with this sort of situation i would really like to hear how you dealt with it.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
what a bunch of cocks! sorry about your misfortune. well you can call the police if they do anything about it then great. then you may have to worry about them comin back all pissed about that. people like that get me all kinds of pissed off. depending on the odds i would probably be inclined to dive on the one with the biggest mouth and beat the dog shit out of him. esp if he threatened my GF. thats just me though

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear that ben, i feel fer youse - but at least SA is goin' off for fwirlage!!! your silver lining is glinty indeed

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Don't really know how you can deal with drunken weirdos. That is pretty tough.

A lot is dependent on whether you are allowed to twirl where you are twirling. If it is free open space with no restrictions, then you have a right to be there without being harassed. You can explain the situation to the police, ask how often they patrol that area, and let them know what nights you will be down there so that they are aware of you. They will probably be especially helpful if it is an alchohol free zone. Be prepared to show them exactly what you are doing and answer a lot of questions about fire-spinning.

Otherwise, I know some people down in Adelaide who look quite scary who may be able to help you out

As to the newbie spinners coming back, is there any way you can contact them and let them know what sort of provisions you are putting in place for next time?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
shadow steppin had they hit anyone it would have been a totally different story but with odds of 7 to 1 im not to keen to jump into a fight with aggressive drunks.

bender™ we are so in the process of making twirling more main stream it was so crazy so many ppls i didnt get chance to talk to everyone. we are talking with this youth artsy drama government group about running stuff through them so we may get a festival happening in adelaide yet

Rozi we have had police come by and watch us twirl before so im quite sure we are allowed to twirl there. i will definately be going in and talking to the police on monday to try and get something safe set up. sadly the punker twirlers (so many sub culters all coming together for the fire it rocks) got there 15 mins to late had they been there it would have been a very different state of affairs. i didnt realise yesterday but i was told today that the police did actually intercept them and drive em away ...... im most observent ..... which is going to definately mean we will have to do something about making it safe. hopefully they will have forgotten by next week ......

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Rozi...surely people have a right not to be harrassed even if they aren't in a free open space with no restrictions.

Getting abused or threatened isn't acceptable in any circumstances as far as general social policy goes...

BUT unfortuntely, if people congregate somewhere open to the public, then you do have to deal with whoever happens to come along. It's a part of the way the world works, and there's not really any easy answer.

I'm sure if someone had this gathering on their front lawn and drunk wandered by, exact;ly the same situations would develop. Just coz you have the legal right to get them to leave your property doesn't man they will, coz they are drunken dickheads...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

+-Flo-+member
3 posts

Posted:
The thing that amazes me about drunken idiots is the alcohol induced invincibility factor, they are willing to pick fights with people who not only a) obviously have large amounts of flammable liquid at hand, but b) are willing to set fire to them.
Unfortunately, if they are inebriated enough to want to cause trouble nothing short of big scary ugly men and violence will stop 'em.
Good idea to talk to the police about patrols. Another option is to see if there is another night of the week to hold your gatherings when less passers by are around

Light it! I DARE you...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Rozi...surely people have a right not to be harrassed even if they aren't in a free open space with no restrictions.

Getting abused or threatened isn't acceptable in any circumstances as far as general social policy goes...

I know what you mean, but I was kinda thinking along the lines that if what they were doing was not strictly allowed in the area, the police might be more interested in that than in the thugs. Not right, I know, but has to be considered.

Btw, have I ever told you that I found you really really scary when I first joined HoP?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There's a nice little park near the city centre here in Dublin. We were spinning there and these unsavoury types showed up with a plastic bag of cans that was keeping them company that night. They continually wanted to talk to us while we kinda tried to ignore them.

A policeman showed up soon afterwards wondering what we were up to. He could see those 2 weren't with us and told them to leave. He then suggested to us that we shouldn't spin there because he works the area and there are people mugged in that park pretty much every other day. We don't spin there anymore and purposely try to find places that aren't visible from everywehere....

Problem with spinning fire in a built up area is that you attract 'em like moths (or vultures) to a flame....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Shy of getting your own security service...

You can move your location, or perhaps the night that you have your get togethers, call the police, let them know and request that they do drive bys every hour or whatever.

Is there a way that you can rope things off? Or, a nasty trick would be to get a waiste high rope and then an ankle high one about 5 feet down the road. Then laugh when the drunks hop one only to trip over the other!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"