Forums > Social Chat > glowstick people vs fire people, No, They're both sick

Login/Join to Participate

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I wont lie, I spin glowstick, I love them, the whole fire thing is sick, but it's glowsticks for me. When I first found this place, I found it by looking for a glowstick spinning site. I had no idea what poi were or where they were invented. I've found no other sites with any info on glowsticks and how to spin them so here I am. I'm happy I found this place though or I wouldn't know where to begin and I'm sure i'd have a lot more bruses then I already do. Much respect to the fire spinners but just cause people played with fire first doesn't mean there's no room for us ravers. I personaly think the whole PLUR thing should be forgotten, not the attitude but the word, PLUR, what a joke. off topic now, but is anyone else sick of hearing it. I don't mind if people live it but don't run around saying PLUR all the time. It's almost as bad as hearing "X" at a rave, you hear it like every two feet. Back on subject, I appologize to you fire people for loving glowsticks so much but I'm not about to stop playing with them cause you came first. Eric------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Just to clarify:"sick" means good. grin

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
why limit yourself to just glowstix?------------------
quote:
Embrace and perpetuate constant change

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Yes, Sick means COOL, like, pardone my language, "thats sick as fuck". meaning: that is one of the coolest things i'v ever seen. And I don't limit myself, I just like glowsticks. don't think I'm ready for fire quite yet, soon though. well I'm out. Eric------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Let's face it... the fire thing just isn't for everyone. It requires equipment, set up, a fire-friendly space, and you can't really do it alone. You've got to do fire outside (in most cases) which can be a real drag during the winter. Not to mention getting over the whole "fear of fire" thing.Personally, I am no more impressed by someone doing fire than I am with someone else doing streamers or glowsticks. I've seen people far more skilled than I who won't touch fire, and they still get major props. Of course, I must admit that working with fire allows me to impress even with my limited abilities.I think the whole fire vs. glow sticks thing is completely a non-issue. People should be doing whatever makes them happy, and that is all that is really important.Now, all that said, I do tend to encourage skilled spinners to try fire. I was talking with one girl at a party in NYC who had been doing glowsticks and streamers for several months. She was thinking about doing fire at some point, so I gave her some encouragement. No surprise, she accepted an offer to use my wicks, and when she started spinning, I realized that she was better than I am after several months of fire experience. I think that is the seventh or eighth cherry I've popped, and I must say I rather enjoy it. But I will never, EVER, push someone who isn't ready, or let anyone do fire who isn't ready or just doesn't want to.-p.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I just want everyone to know that I accedently posted this as a new topic, and it was suppose to be a reply to Explain this to me.... by PELE SorryEricI'll try fire when I get the money to buy some. Looks fun------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
i agree with your comments completely. Why look at it for the "versus" perspective? It should never be "us and them", instead "we."

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I agree with you guys, it's not about competing and you should only do fire when you REALLY feel ready for it. It took me 3 months of steady practise with my comet poi before i touched fire.Personnally, I enjoyed donig both. One thing annoys me, however: it's when people (usually ravers) call glowsticks "fire" and say "i spun fire at this rave" when they actually mean "i spun glowsticks at this rave". No offense to anyone, but it's just not the same thing.Cheers,Nomad

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
umm, opps! hehe! ya know...now that i think about it good point! we do use the "PLUR" a lot! hehe! i think i'll limit that to appropriate times only from now on! at least let me say peace to ya though! grin------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Plazma, you are a great person for doing that, It's a start. If everyone did what you did and didn't say it so much, there wouldn't be so many posers. Props to the hush hush plur raver. To Nomad, I also think it's dumb of ravers to call glowsticks fire, And i don't even spin fire yet.I'm fairly sure it takes more skill to spin fire, seeing as you have to have great body awareness or you won't have a bruse you'll have a burn. This is why I have a lot of respect for fire spinners. I call playing with my glowsticks spinning though, and I don't think dj's take to kindly to that either. Eric------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Nomad for saying that. I have had enough flares at me lately winkMyst, well, you are spinning. Whatever it is you are spinning and even a dj couldn't deny that! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
That is a very nice thing of you to say PELE. Thank you. I promise to keep "SPINNING" and never let anyone tell me I'm doing otherwise.Eric------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
I just started spinning recently. I find glowsticks cool as hell and a definate improvement over the tennis balls I was used to. Next weekend I'm going to my cottage, and I'm going to spin for hours in the pitch darkness by the lake.And hope I don't fall in, of course. smile

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

Oompastranger
2 posts

Posted:
What does PLUR mean? Sorry, I'm super new to all of this. I have always watched people spin fire and glowsticks and finally I was brave and decided to try glowsticks the other day and discovered that I'm pretty good considering I had people cheering me on lol. Anyways thanks for explaining the PLUR phenomenon.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Epic bump.

Oompa: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=PLUR

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
PLUR - Peace Love Unity Respect.

It's the battle cry of the American 'Candy Ravers' and similarly the (to the best of my knowledge - no longer existant) 'Cyber Kids' in the UK.

Essentially it is the outlook of people who are EXTREMELY high. That is where it stems from anyway.

And wow! Almost a decade old post! Amazing, some things never change.