Forums > Help! > Getting back into Fire Pois - best set for Intermediate?

Login/Join to Participate

AshleigheBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hello all! I'm looking for recommendations on what fire poi set to buy:

I grew up doing fire poi nearly everyday, including travelling in the Gypsy Fair. As an adult, I'm keen to get back into it. I would say I'm a Beginner to Intermediate in that I'm comfortable with fire (I don't need to start with sock poi smile ) and know quite a few moves, but I'll probably be a bit rusty to start with.

Growing up I just used what everyone gave me, so I don't know the difference between the different types of wicks. Can anyone help with suggestions on what is best? I'm looking for a strong, bright flame, as opposed to long burning time.
I'm 5'2 also, so would love recommendations on what length to get - I remember reading a long time ago about measuring it compared to your arm span but I have no idea now!

These were the two I was looking at, but would love any suggestions out there! Thanks!

https://www.homeofpoi.com/en/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-2-inch-50mm-Weka-Oval-Twist-Chain-Fire-Poi
https://www.homeofpoi.com/en/shop/product...-Chain-Fire-Poi

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
out of the 2 choices you have there id recommend the weka as my monkey fists have a burn time of around 8mins, thought id recommend having s look at cathedral heads as well (strong bright flame at roughly 5min burn time). length depends on how much you do buzzsaws (or anything towards you face/body) id usually aim for 3inches or so away from my face when doing buzzsaws as i like to firebreath off them but i have also got a set with a longer chain that i just wrap round my hands if im doing things towards face/body so it might not be a huge problem

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh