flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
P.L.U.RThe dissolution and bastardisationP.L.U.R ~ it’s quite the buzzword at the moment. We’re hearing it used throughout media and many people are spouting the acronym without hesitation or contemplation upon the depth of meaning. This over-exposure has lead to the inevitable dissolution and bastardisation of the ideal, turning P.L.U.R into little more than a tag for the new wave of candy ravers.The exact origins of PLUR are sketchy to say the least and naturally lead to almighty USA. There is much speculation as to the who and when, but the most common theory is that Frankie Bones (“founding father” of raves in the US) gave a very important speech after one of his sets at a Storm Party in 1993. He explained what the scene was about and why he had brought it to New York: peace, love, unity, and respect. There is strong argument against this creation theory, fuelled by the never-ending East Coast USA vs West Coast USA competition. However, I’d like to hear from someone who was raving in the UK in the early ‘90’s – I’m certain that they would have a local theory to match.Birthplace and time aside, P.L.U.R plays a rich ideal in many people’s lives. The words mean something different to each individual and within the true sense of PLUR aren’t absolutely synonymous with the “rave” culture. Herein lies the hindrance – P.L.U.R is a lifestyle choice; it’s about the way we perceive and react to humankind our world and ourselves. Many people are living the PLUR ideal without ever having heard the term, however many people who have heard the term and use the term are in fact causing the inconsistencies and subsequent demise.PLUR is similar to Goth, in that it’s not about what you wear or the image you portray to society, but rather a state of mind and lifestyle choice. Sure, I can die my hear black, paint my face and dress suitably but that does not make me a Goth – that just makes me another punter going through a phase. PLUR is exactly the same – the punter can go out on the weekend and consume some pills (or not) and crack some glow sticks, drowning all those around them in the joyous feelings of PLUR. But are these people really living the principals in their everyday life, are they really living it the even in that emphatic moment? I think not. Weekend guerillas. These people are mistaking superficial happiness with four of the hardest words to ascribe to. *Peace: The calmness you find and build with those around you, inside yourself and with the earth you live off.*Love: The caring you feel for friends, for strangers, for those in need and also the caring you show for yourself. It's symbiotic, it's about sharing; whatever energy you put into something will be returned to you! *Unity: This means we all share a lot of common things, regardless of our age, gender, race, orientation, etc. We are all human beings, we all need other people, & we're all in this together. Though we may have differences, we all arise from the same source. *Respect: Respect for others, their ideas & choices, their music, & their lives. It's also respect for one's self: one's body and the needs that it has (food, sleep). For example, educating yourself on the substances you ingest shows love and respect for your body; passing on the knowledge to others shows respect and love for your fellow person.The above is just one interpretation of the ideals. It is different for everybody, but at the core, it is the same.In essence, PLUR is a difficult ideal and not everyone has sufficient self-realisation and discipline to stay true to it. Very few people can really stay true to even one of the four ways.I’m not condemning, but I guess what I’m asking of all those who bandy about the acronym, without an idea of the true essence, is how much are you prepared to sacrifice in order to stay true to PLUR and yourself? How much humility, diplomacy, selflessness and patience can you muster and maintain? In a few years when you’ve stopped partying, will you even remember PLUR?Just my thoughts.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmm yes PLUR.I think that is quite a good run down on what it means, or should be interpreted to mean...however is it possible to practice PLUR to its fullest extent in todays social climate?I would argue that the practice of full PLUR *was* possible many years ago, In a tiny little sub culture known as Rave, but now it seems the number of ppl who believe in the ideal, are outnumbered by the ppl who Think PLUR is interchangable for "I'm a Raver"Its not.Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
you seem peeved over pplz ability to withhold what you believe to be the definition of what is a tag not too different from 'love me' or 'yours sincerely'Does it really matter? I may try to be a buddhist but I still get the shits with the world andcrack from time to time.Perhaps lighten up and forget about others ability or lack thereof to maintain something as simple as an acronym. smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm chilled, I'm so lighted up it hurts my eyes. I was making a social commentary - cultivating some discussion, you know.Why is it necessary to shoot me down and tell me to relax when I'm simply expressing my very valid and well thought out opinion?Whatsmore, you've missed the point entirely. PLUR was not just an acronym, 'twas the manifestation of a mindset. The whole point of my commentary is that it *is* morphing into merely an acronym due to it's over-use and under-contemplation. Guess you missed it.[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 06 June 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
PLUR grin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
um I think she was talking about PLUR the lifestyle, and the misuasage of it as a term of endearment.hehe - smileREPULSE.Josh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
cheeky bugger. winkBefore all the people from the other hemisphere wake up and respond, I guess I should add that I don't believe that I have the discipline to PLUR, hence very rarely use the term in that context. So I don't want to hear any personal stabs at me questioning my ability to live the ideal, mmmmkay?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
When I first saw P.L.U.R used on this site I thought it was a mere acronym, thanks to Flash Fire for explaining the meaning behind it.I think that plur is for a lot of people like the raving scene,which many people get into because it is considered 'cool'.I think thats one of the reasons I like the rave scene in Japan as it hasn't developed the pretensions that are rife in the rave scene - rave is the new disco darlings! Anyhow, well done flash fire for a very clear explanation on what PLUR is and and what it means to you.------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Flash you shouldn't insult us candy ravers when you can't live it yourself.PLUR

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Found this Its by Peter Douglas from the uk.music.rave newsgroup and is a shocked WICKED DEFINITION shockedGood read, especially the RESPECT bit grin.
quote:
PEACE grinThe reason we like the music that we do, and dance like we do, is because it helps us achieve a state of inner peace, particularly peace with ourselves. For me the music that catalyses this state has a sticky label on it that says 'goa trance', sometimes 'psychedelic trance', and includes 'tribal trance'. Being able to dance the way we do is being able to be four years old again, to be free of ego like we were before self consciousness took control. When we dance free of ego, we are at peace with ourselves, and at peace with all those around us. In the peace of a good trance, when someone stands on my foot I get a real buzz out of it because it's a chance to put some of that peace 'out there' as well as having it inside. With a big grin and a squeeze of their shoulder I've been able to say "Hey! Isn't this great?" without being dorky about it. Peace People! LOVE: winkIt means you can turn to a complete stranger who's sipping a bottle of water, and they'll see your sweat dripping and ears glowing and your eyes dark and deep, and they'll smile and offer you the bottle. It means people not only call out to you "Are you okay mate?" when they hear you heaving your dinner in the toilet cubicle, but they care about the answer. Love is the reason the people at Return to the Source hang crystals, sprinkle essence and otherwise prepare the space for us to be in together. Love is .... (fill in your own - hey, maybe there's a cartoon strip in there somewhere!) UNITY: smileI think this one shows the widest gap between the aspiration and the realisation. There still seem to be anorak wars between disciples / acolytes of various stylistic sub-genres, by people who've forgotten that preferring green to blue or liking cardamom more than coriander is not a sign of intellectual underendowment and spiritual inadequacy. For me the concept of unity is not us against them, but trying to give 'them' a glimpse of the wonderful space we experience at a good party. RESPECT: coolSometimes I fantasize about a club with coat pegs all round the periphery, where everyone just hangs their stuff and it's still there when they come to wear it home. Hey, and you can even leave your money in the pockets - now that's *respect*. Respect is also about realising that everyone's different. Bizarre as it may seem, not everyone thinks your whistle-blowing next to their ear enhances the total dance experience. If you really think people enjoy your trilling, and are blown away by the musical mastery evident in your one note mantra, then be fair and move around a lot. That way you leave everyone wanting more (maybe) rather than one poor bugger in front of you wanting less, much less.
enjoy people. P.L.U.Rpeace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi
[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 06 June 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I'll be interested to see what happens...oh in about 2 hours. Then we shall see.REPULSE is so much easier to live by! (or maybe hard...)Pere

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
Garbo that definition you so thoughtfully provided for this bullitin board has just made me cry. the examples (especially peace and love) i could really relate to.I'm so fucking extatic now that someone has finally put into words what i have been feeling for years. YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
On living PLUR, "there is no try, only do."------------------
quote:
Embrace and perpetuate constant change

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i believe totally in the meaning of PLUR. and live by it. yes it is associated with the rave scene which i am part of. but it plays a part for people who have never been to one. i look downward on those who go to raves to get their dose of plur and then not continue it in their everyday lives (not pointing out anyone on the board, just in general) yes i discovered plur at my first rave. i find the atmosphere to be the closest thing to a perfect world...i am able to get intouch with myself along with others by use of dance and music (peace), i have many countless times been asked for water or have asked for a swig myself and with no hesitation i share same as they have shared with me (love), i can ask someone for advice on how to learn something new or effortlessly hold a convo with a stranger in hopes of learning from them, (whether they popped a pill or not), (unity), there is more respect in a crowd of ravers then i have ever seen. this is a huge reason i rave. when i found this board it was oh so very close to the atmosphere of a rave (metaphorically speaking). that why i feel it is appropriate to use plur on this site. (yes lately the page has been edgy but it's all good). i give huge props to those who practice plur no matter what the occation. the more people who do to better it makes the world. flash fire , it takes a certain personality to practice plur 24/7. i believe that even if you make the effort and succeed at it at least once a day, every day, you are still a better person then all the stuck up, ignorant, pieces of wasted flesh that stink up the world. a little goes a long way.i love you all , i sincerely hope someday i can meet and greet you all. PLUR.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
everyone knows i'm still growing and for me its like Girl from Mars said, it's something you should at least do something once a day, everyday, ect. for me, the plur grows right along side of me. it IS something i try hard to live by but sometimes as this board has experienced, especially after a really bad week, it comes back to bite me in the butt. and yes, i think sometimes it gets overused, and i've seen people that have only gone to 1 rave use plur like they've been going to them for 5 years. and garbo, i'm loven' the quote. plur has also helped me in ways, b/c like i said in another thread, i used to ALWAYS be cranky and overreactive, but by trying to practice it has given me a new light in my life, as well as a positive direction! winkplur! grin------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the topic. I have been thinking random thought about this for some time now. I havent been to a club in 2 years, let alone a rave. I live in Tampa, Fl. Been living here for so long. I dont know if you will all believe me or not, but its true... This area is so dead with the scene. Clubs, raves... All I see when I go out is attitude and image. I know that in America, that is going to be common wherever I go. In my area, we are overflowing with this, and it is depressing. My heart cries out to be in a place where I dont feel competitive hostile energy from those around me. I missed the Winter Music Conference in Miami. My chance to get away to a HUGE group that is there for the peace that music instills in them. Sniff, sniff smile. Thats okay though, there is next year.As for PLUR, I try every opportunity (almost... at my job it is super hard :mad smile to use these principles in my daily life. I never used to love myself. Or even like myself. I feel good about being me when I practice PLUR, in part or in whole, along with any other of my spiritual principles.People must find their own paths. If it means abusing PLUR, saying it in vain, like so many say 'i love you', it simply gives us an opportunity to step back from our own lives and take a look. When I say it, am I meaning it, and I using it in my daily conscious life? About anything, you know? It gives us an opportunity when we see this in others to question ourselves and grow from others.A smart person learns from their own mistakes. A wise person learns from the mistakes of others.Respect to all! wink------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
CAINED!! Its good isn't it.Glad to have been of assistance.I am SO happy grin I knew you would all love it shocked he he he smilepeace out people winkgarbo tongueP.L.U.R. grin------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Until very recently, at this site, I'd not heard PLUR. Or at least, I'd not heard that name for it. But then if you wanted to get tribal about it I think of myself more as a hippy than a raver. But then, hippies don't like labels smile and a lot of my favourite 'hippies' would consider themselves ravers.PLUR is remarkably like what my hippy older siblings tried to teach me three decades ago. And it does express the approach very nicely and succinctly.No kidding it's hard work, but happiness (in my experience) is a lot of hard work however you want to achieve it. I mean, it's only a matter of changing the world smileFor a while, I've been trying to work to a slightly different 4-fold recipe for a better world: the "four agreements"...Be impeccable with your wordTake nothing personallyDon't make assumptionsAlways do your best...which is also very hard work, but makes for a very nice world.And if you're in the right environment, the idea about the 'club where you can leave your coat hanging up' can actually happen. Small festivals are the places where I've seen it (up to 1000 people), but the Respect thing has to be mutual. When you feel it might happen, what's needed is a combination of everyone Respecting people's stuff, but also my Respecting everyone enough to feel comfortable leaving the coat unprotected.And the thing about P, L, U and R is that they're really susceptible to feedback, positive or negative. When the trust is broken, it shatters. When the trust is there, it grows, buds and blossoms. So all I can do every day is to try and encourage that positive feedbackFLAXmikeyB

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
does anyone else want to start signing all there stuff PLUR but is scared of 'bastardising it'.??

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
:P