Forums > Technical Discussion > contact flowstaff from flowtoys?

Login/Join to Participate

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
hey kids. I am thinking of buying a contact staff. I'm leaning toward a flowstaff from flowtoys but I'm not sure about the weighting on it. flowtoys are generally lighter than any other toys I've played with, and though the staff comes with double mass on the ends, I still wonder if it would be weighted enough?

on the other hand, I have eight billion flowlights, so I'd only need to buy the tubing and core - a big reason I'm considering a flowstaff in the first place. it would come out to $90 including shipping, not too shabby.

has anyone used a contact flowstaff? what did you think about it?

other staff suggestions are welcome, but please be aware that I have zero interest in making my own. I am lazy, and I have come to terms with that tongue2 ideally I do want a glow staff... lights motivate me smile

EDITED_BY: thirteen (1326317511)

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
If you are already good at contact it is possible to make the flowstaff work, however it is a little lighter than is ideal, and flexes so its a lot harder than a proper contact staff, and wouldn't be my choice for learning moves with.

I personally think the concentrate staffs look better (got 2 110xm ones) and have a nice grippy finish, but I haven't tried the long ones so can't comment on flex.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
thirteen,

I own 3 flow staffs (4 if you count the old, old street lights they usde to sell) and love all of them.
On the question of weight, with 3 lights and 2 flow masses on each end, it definitely is weighty enough. This is even heavier than some of the fire contact staves I make, but lighter than most. It's comparable to the weight of a solid wood staff.

The only issues I have are that the collapsible ones do flex quite a bit. I've made a dragon staff out of them, and the bend like no other. So don't try doing staff yoga with it.

The silicon grip doesn't stay sticky very long, nor is it soft. You might want to add extra padded grip for comfort if it concerns you.
The collapsible staves only grip the center, and if your handle is short, or you do conjurer's staff, you might want to grip the ends too.
I bought silicon grip from flowtoys and gripped the ends of the collapsible for more coverage.

One cool trick to keeping your flowtoy staff grippier. They recommend using hairspray to put the grip on. I accidentally got it everywhere, but then noticed skin and clothes didn't shed on to the staff. If you spray your staff grip (almost any contact grip) and your clothes/skin, the grip stays grippier for longer. This is also a good way to clean your grip as it then makes it tacky for a bit. After about 5 coats you may have to wash it off depending on how you applied it.

As for glow staves, flow toys are the best for the price. Period.
If you have other toys/mods for the flowlight system. Then half the price is gone.

The flow well, the look phenomenal, they can take quite a bit of abuse.
The are very easy to personalize, in case someone just grabs it during a rave, you can quickly identify them and even beat them with it. Blood comes right off the strong poly-carbonate tubing. Kidding, but they are strong an clean easily when at flow camps.

if you are still worried about weight, you can always add more, but after a certain point, you'll have to grab a one piece flow staff.

Also, Concentrate's LED staves only get to about 4.6 feet in length, although the are slightly stronger and lit the whole length, the are about $300.

Hope that helps!

I found an old picture of what my collection looked like right before adding new grip:

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: ShadowlessTyger (1326392525)

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
hmm sounds like the flowstaff is not a great option for a beginner. that's a shame, because I have so many flowlights, and I much prefer practicing with things that light up to things that don't. but I also took a look on the facebook contact staff age and pretty much heard the same exact complaints about flexing... oh well.

thanks to both of you for your feedback. I'm completely new to contact, so your advice is appreciated smile

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Make yourself a non-glow one, its easy, cheap and you can mod it until its perfect for you. Then get a glowy for performances!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!